Elderly parents or relatives to care for and/or worry about? This is the place for you.

2 lurkers | 140 watchers
Sep 2023
8:34am, 25 Sep 2023
28,031 posts
  •  
Lizzie Whizz
Ugh, brain dump.
Mum, 81, diabetic, under gastro/colo investigations, can't keep anything down (since small dinner Fri night). Is managing a small amount of water, anything else is returned.

I'm not asking you for medical advice!

I'm waiting for a clinician call back from 111, now 12 hours. I'm not sure what I want someone to do, I think see her in person?

I'm trying to think what I'd advise a patient to do if I spoke to them on reception, but it's different when you're in it...
Sep 2023
8:37am, 25 Sep 2023
47,819 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Sorry to hear that Lizzie. I would expect them to come on site, and possibly quite quickly to take her to hospital. Won't be good to be on so little food/nutrition for long, would probably need to be on a drip quite soon? Hope you can get attention and action soon.
Sep 2023
8:38am, 25 Sep 2023
47,134 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
I agree in person sounds best
hugs
x
Sep 2023
8:39am, 25 Sep 2023
47,820 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
We're now seeing mum's problems with sore back, feeling sick, sore stomach etc. in the context of the several tumours rather than just thinking it's non-specific pains and complaints. Feel a bit guilty that for 5 years we've rather dismissed her symptoms. Find out the PET scan results soon this week, I think. :-) G
Sep 2023
9:00am, 25 Sep 2023
29,139 posts
  •  
Serendippily
Hindsight is a marvellous thing Happy. It was similar for mrS where his mums breast cancer returned and spread to bones: the GP should’ve been on it, given her history, but she missed endless appts and the pandemic did not help. Sometimes it is as it is and all you can focus on is the now. If you hadnt moved her in, it might still be undiagnosed x
Sep 2023
9:06am, 25 Sep 2023
47,137 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
my mum's friend had a bad back for years, then a fall that made it worse and Dr just gave more drugs
4 mths later she went to hospital to get tested and find better drugs to be told she had cancer. She was dead within days

don't be hard on yourself HappyG as dipps says just think of now xx
Sep 2023
9:06am, 25 Sep 2023
6,669 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
Sorry to hear that Happy.

Lizzie - can you call the GP and ask for a home visit or get her to a walk in centre? It sounds as though iv fluids might be needed.
Sep 2023
9:10am, 25 Sep 2023
64,060 posts
  •  
LindsD
Yes quite. No point beating ourselves up.

Hugs Lizzie. I would be wanting a in-person consultation I think. Given that she's likely to be moved to hospital anyway, is it worth calling 999? Or GP?
Sep 2023
9:18am, 25 Sep 2023
28,032 posts
  •  
Lizzie Whizz
Thank you, that's helpful x
Sep 2023
11:21am, 25 Sep 2023
25,638 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
Lizzie, i hope someone comes out quickly as it sounds like its needed to stabilise things

HG - it is a difficult time for you all. Take care and focus on now.

Today is MiLs 90th. Mrs Axe and I spent 3 hours decorating the flat yesterday with balloons banners and old photos. MiL when she woke up was very tearful and very appreciative. We are off out shorty for a posh lunch

Sadly there is a BiL backdrop to this all as he has decided Mrs Axe and their Mum are out of his life. He will still execute his joint PoA duties, but seems to want to make that as difficult as possible. It is not clear where this will all lead, but a breakdown in the PoA seems a strong possibility.

He cancelled his planned afternoon tea which was supposed to be either Saturday or sunday and hasnt been to see his mum for two or three weeks. He drops the medication outside her door for the carers to take in. We need to do everything else. To be honest though other than week about on shopping he did nothing else anyway. It is so sad, but he blocks any attempt at reconciliation and I am having to try and get Mrs Axe to stop trying as it just hurts her even more.

About This Thread

Maintained by LindsD
I thought I'd start a thread, as lots of us have elderly folks that we worry about/care for.

Useful info for after someone dies here (with thanks to grast_girl)
moneysavingexpert.com

Other useful links

myageingparent.com

moneysavingexpert.com

Who pays for residential care? Information here:

ageuk.org.uk

Advice on care homes and payment/funding

theguardian.com

Also: After someone dies, if their home insurance was only in their name, sadly the cover becomes void. But if the policy was in joint names, it will still cover the surviving policyholder (though the names on the policy will need to be updated).

A useful book of exercises for memory loss and dementia
amazon.co.uk

Pension Credit. The rules are a bit complex but if your elderly relative has some sort of disability (in this case dementia/Alzheimer's) and go into a home, they may be able to claim pension credit. So if carers allowance stops, it seems pension credit can start. It can also be backdated.

Fall alarm company, etc.

careium.co.uk

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.