Coronavirus discussion thread

1 lurker | 136 watchers
Aug 2021
8:05am, 12 Aug 2021
12,452 posts
  •  
Little Nemo
I didn't get seriously ill when I caught it, presumably because I'd had 2 jabs. And yet nearly 3 weeks later I'm still ill and I've had a second period of time off work. This is worse than the time I had flu.
Aug 2021
8:19am, 12 Aug 2021
49,030 posts
  •  
LindsD
:(
Aug 2021
9:35am, 12 Aug 2021
15,359 posts
  •  
geordiegirl
My cousin text me this morning she has a really bad headache. She has had terrible headaches since covid in December & fatigue which she says is getting worse (may be linked to having kids home for the summer break of course, her youngest is exhausting).

She didn’t have it bad at the time even worked from home but doctors are saying it’s long covid which is scary.

Sorry to hear how you’re suffering too Nemo hope you’re soon back to normal x
Aug 2021
9:47am, 12 Aug 2021
12,454 posts
  •  
Little Nemo
In my case I think it was going back to the office too soon. I was just physically wiped out and my cough and tiredness came back. I'm going to work from home for longer when I go back this time and only increase my physical activity gradually.
Aug 2021
10:17am, 12 Aug 2021
8,174 posts
  •  
sallykate
LN that's certainly what a friend of mine found - carry on taking it easy and I hope it eases soon.
Aug 2021
10:52am, 12 Aug 2021
15,361 posts
  •  
geordiegirl
Agree with sallykate, a couple of people I know who went back to work too soon have ended off with huge setbacks as it didn't clear at the time.

I had covid back in November, I did my 10days isolation but I had nothing more than a bad cold, I felt fine. I got a lot of advice from some fetchies saying I was running too soon but I genuinely felt well, thankfully I remained well - I hadn't appreciated the delayed effects of covid that can happen.

I still maintain I potentially had covid last Jan/Feb 2020 that wiped me out for months it took until May to run and feel half human.

Take it steady if you need more time off take it.
Aug 2021
11:45am, 12 Aug 2021
429 posts
  •  
fuzzyduck79
Pretty balanced take on flu vs covid comparison:

fullfact.org

I find it odd that we're not seeing how easily you can pull deaths from both down dramatically, with a few simple measures that have been standard in some countries for a while.

You don't have to lockdown, stop seeing anybody etc, just a few small adjustments like masks, ventilation, jabs, occasional test at home before attending large indoor gathering - and quite a few lives are saved.

Seems worth doing to me, but I understand that others can't bear the idea of having to do minor stuff for the benefit of others.
Aug 2021
11:47am, 12 Aug 2021
430 posts
  •  
fuzzyduck79
And sympathy for those struggling with long Covid
Aug 2021
11:55am, 12 Aug 2021
42,732 posts
  •  
DocM
Daughter vaccinated ( age 17). Took a trip to Cambridge ( thanks for the tip off HB)
Aug 2021
11:56am, 12 Aug 2021
20,657 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
I think that one of the things that will come from this is that in the future we take a different view on illness. Most of us in the past would just go about our business and spread things about. That will change and with the WFH being succesful people will be less inclined to go to the office. We will also adapt to taking more precautions.

Thinking specifically on COVID, we need to get as many vaccinated and then also get the booster after which we start to go back to how things were but with some precautionary measures being taken.

About This Thread

Maintained by sallykate
Discussion of coronavirus: share useful information, air your frustrations but play nicely!

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.