Coronavirus discussion thread

136 watchers
Aug 2021
4:30pm, 12 Aug 2021
5,585 posts
  •  
TheScribbler
That really does put the Delta variant into context and highlights how the UK is basically now one great big experiment!
Aug 2021
4:34pm, 12 Aug 2021
195 posts
  •  
mathschick
thanks fleecey - really interesting article
CK2
Aug 2021
7:45am, 13 Aug 2021
914 posts
  •  
CK2
Excellent article. Thanks Fleecy
CK2
Aug 2021
7:53am, 13 Aug 2021
915 posts
  •  
CK2
I also found this discussion about the England (not UK as suggested in the article) interesting.

‘ Medley expects case numbers to be bumpy, rising and falling like a series of small hills rather than one big mountain. This is because the U.K. has a high overall vaccination rate, but it still has pockets of vulnerable people. The virus will cause an outbreak every time it finds a pocket, though the exact timing might be hard to know. “It will happen,” he says. “It’s not a question of whether it happens. It’s just that we can’t predict where and when.”’

theatlantic.com
Aug 2021
8:11am, 13 Aug 2021
15,370 posts
  •  
geordiegirl
A sobering read thanks fleecy.
Aug 2021
8:34am, 13 Aug 2021
3,312 posts
  •  
TomahawkMike
My OH got a text today which we ignored because it was a scam. It ls from a mobile number as opposed to a labelled text like "NHS". It tells you that you have been in contact with someone with coronavirus and that you need to order a lateral flow test. The domain it points you to was registered yesterday.

I bet that one is relatively successful.
Aug 2021
8:40am, 13 Aug 2021
78,376 posts
  •  
swittle
"One in 10 UK patients caught Covid in hospital in first wave, finds study."

theguardian.com
Aug 2021
8:41am, 13 Aug 2021
15,224 posts
  •  
larkim
Does anyone know a clear answer to this?

If someone was told to SI on Tuesday this week, and were double jabbed by the end of June, does their self isolation terminate early on Monday because of the change in SI rules?

There must be quite a few people this applies to, but I've not (yet) found an authoritative answer to this.
Aug 2021
8:58am, 13 Aug 2021
8,637 posts
  •  
KatieB
I have seen an answer to that larkim. On a physiotherapy group (we have quite a few test and tracers on there). Apparently the self-isolation stands if it started before the rule change.

Disclaimer: I don’t know the exact credentials of the poster.
Aug 2021
8:59am, 13 Aug 2021
4,830 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
No expert either but that's my understanding too KatieB though it doesn't make much sense!

About This Thread

Maintained by sallykate
Discussion of coronavirus: share useful information, air your frustrations but play nicely!

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.