Coronavirus discussion thread

136 watchers
Aug 2021
1:59pm, 8 Aug 2021
3,136 posts
  •  
Fellrunning
Thanks I appreciate your kind words. Whilst I agree wholeheartedly with your sentiments on misinformation, and yes the guy was talking dangerous nonsense, he remained - to me at least- a human being, and a pretty sick one (arguably in mind as well as body)

My inclination is to meet people where they're at, so to speak, whether I agree with their views or not. That this guy was so obviously in trouble was personally upsetting.

There's an tendency to dismiss the misinformed as bad people. To my chagrin I've done it myself at times.

Like others I felt it was very sad.

Anyway draw a line, agree to disagree etc.

Btw Fetch: thanks for pointing that out. I
Aug 2021
2:00pm, 8 Aug 2021
3,137 posts
  •  
Fellrunning
Xpost - that was for Fuzzy Duck
Aug 2021
2:14pm, 8 Aug 2021
242 posts
  •  
kaysdee
Dr, my daughter took her birth certificate and NHS number and they didn’t ask for either. They are advertising specific 16-17 yr old slots alongside the 18+ at the same walk in centre here. I think the safeguarding aspect is to do with having paediatric resus available. If the location isn’t too much of an inconvenience I’d just take him and hope for the best.
Aug 2021
2:30pm, 8 Aug 2021
7,877 posts
  •  
TeeBee
All walk in s around here are still saying strictly over 18s.
Fleecy over 16s can give consent themselves
Aug 2021
2:36pm, 8 Aug 2021
428 posts
  •  
fuzzyduck79
FR - yes, agree. When Fopp was around these parts making similar statements I was careful not to attack him and tried to appeal to his sense of logic by noting he was a very good runner and might not be any more if he contracted a bad dose without having the vaccine. I could see that he didn't care much for the idea of protecting anyone else, but felt he might respond to that (more selfish) idea.

But I did later find his nonsense got more offensive so I did push back on him claiming the vaccine was unnecessary, as that was crossing a line. He is free to choose to not have the vaccine, but not to spread dangerous misinformation.
Aug 2021
4:26pm, 8 Aug 2021
4,811 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
It's not a consent issue - it's paediatric resus and safeguarding level three as I said yesterday. Another 500 plus 16-18 year olds turned up for the walk-in clinic during my early shift today and they were still queueing when I left.

As HB said 'eighteen' is actually seventeen and nine months.
Aug 2021
4:30pm, 8 Aug 2021
27 posts
  •  
OVERTHELAST
Fuzzy, you said "Not sure what measure you refer to, but a 58 year old male would not have a mortality rate from Covid as low as 0.1%". Like I said, it was "by his own measure", he said 99.9% are OK, so sadly he was one of the 0.1%. By his own measure, which, as you say, is wrong.
Aug 2021
4:47pm, 8 Aug 2021
53,016 posts
  •  
DrPhleecingD
Well it’s great news that there’s such demand for vaccines in the younger age groups. It’s not like they can choose to work from home…
Aug 2021
9:30am, 9 Aug 2021
3,512 posts
  •  
Tim of Fife
Some important changes in Scotland today. Although many people haven't been physically distancing for a while.
Aug 2021
9:31am, 9 Aug 2021
8,626 posts
  •  
Fragile Do Not Bend
I was sad to see this message from White Star Running in Dorset, who are struggling to stay afloat due to the impact of coronavirus

facebook.com

I’m not local to Dorset but I’ve done one of their races and it was one of the toughest yet most enjoyable race I’ve done, and I was hoping to do another of their races at some point.

About This Thread

Maintained by sallykate
Discussion of coronavirus: share useful information, air your frustrations but play nicely!

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.