Coronavirus discussion thread

2 lurkers | 136 watchers
Aug 2021
11:33am, 7 Aug 2021
31,626 posts
  •  
Ocelot Spleens
You can be very well educated and very stupid at the same time. I watched his recordings, he struck me as an idiot.
Aug 2021
11:55am, 7 Aug 2021
16,975 posts
  •  
jennywren
He thought he was invincible. Not sure that has a lot to do with education.
Aug 2021
2:29pm, 7 Aug 2021
4,809 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
Just back from a mega busy shift with hundreds of 16 and 17 year olds turning up for a walk-in clinic which was only advertised yesterday (I think). Great to see them all there but I'm crackered now. It got so busy we had huge queues and they were ringing round staff asking if they could come in to help out.
Aug 2021
2:29pm, 7 Aug 2021
26 posts
  •  
OVERTHELAST
So by his own measure, he fell into the 0.1%, well, someone had to. Sad.
Aug 2021
4:25pm, 7 Aug 2021
423 posts
  •  
fuzzyduck79
Not sure what measure you refer to, but a 58 year old male would not have a mortality rate from Covid as low as 0.1%

And that's before considering secondary effects of freely transmitting the virus because you don't believe it's dangerous - BBC article linked to in that tweet says his 56 year old wife was also seriously ill with it.
Aug 2021
5:19pm, 7 Aug 2021
241 posts
  •  
kaysdee
D16 just had her vaccine 😀. Only found out the session was on by chance and made it with 5 mins to spare. Had to bring S17 with us and the intake person was quite amused that he was answering all of her questions. Almost everyone being vaccinated was a youngster.
Aug 2021
6:22pm, 7 Aug 2021
4,810 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
And underlying health conditions fuzzyduck - diabetes and hypertension if I recall correctly.

Good news kaysdee.
Aug 2021
9:28pm, 7 Aug 2021
3,133 posts
  •  
Fellrunning
I've contacted the thread Mod, but as I believe in being upfront when I have an issue I'll repost the fmail I sent below.

This isn't any sort of personal attack on the OP. It's just a matter of compassion from my perspective.

I'm sure that some will disagree with my point of view. That's your prerogative if you're one of them.

**Perhaps I'm being over sensitive here, but the link posted by (**Redacted**) has a video that shows a man actually in the process of dying from Covid. I understand that he was found dead some hours after posting it. Whilst I understand it's in the public domain, and doubtless was reposted for the highest of motives, I find I'm quite shocked.

It doesn't seem to add anything to the debate, either on twitter or on here, in my view.

The guy has friends and relatives who are likely hurting quite badly. I don't think we should be making that (potentially) worse by promulgating this material - no matter how foolish we think he is.

Rgds

Si - aka FR**
Aug 2021
12:38am, 8 Aug 2021
424 posts
  •  
fuzzyduck79
Quite an astonishing take.

He died several weeks ago, and the BBC article shows his wife and daughter talking about how he made an awful mistake, and how terribly wrong they now know he was. Seems to me they are quite keen for everyone hesitant about taking the vaccine to learn from this, which is a very decent, courageous thing to do.

Is it really still shocking to watch someone with Covid talking about their symptoms? We're 18 months in, I've watched loads of people discuss symptoms, and many of them have sadly gone on to die. I don't ever feel any urge to switch off when someone is describing their state of health.

But to say such an account adds nothing to the debate, I just cannot fathom how you can even claim that. You might not want to watch it, fine. But it does add something to the debate when there are millions refusing the vaccine and objectively making the situation worse for all.
Aug 2021
12:46am, 8 Aug 2021
425 posts
  •  
fuzzyduck79
Incidentally, it was 9 days after he posted that video that he passed away. I'm not sure that it's the biggest detail, but making out he died hours later seems like you were trying to increase the shock value without checking the facts.

About This Thread

Maintained by sallykate
Discussion of coronavirus: share useful information, air your frustrations but play nicely!

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.