Coronavirus discussion thread

136 watchers
Aug 2021
3:44pm, 5 Aug 2021
4,804 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
Meeps - we know the vaccines aren’t 100% effective and some people won’t produce antibodies having had it. One of the reasons it’s so important to vaccinate as much of the population as possible.
Aug 2021
3:58pm, 5 Aug 2021
9,011 posts
  •  
Meeps
Thanks for the help all :-)
Aug 2021
7:51pm, 5 Aug 2021
2,297 posts
  •  
PenW
My friend just did an antibody test for the Zoe app and it was specifically for antibodies to infection rather than antibodies for the vaccine. He was offered it because he’s logged a history of quite a few tests, all of which were negative so it was part of the research looking at whether people have had covid without realising or testing positive.
Aug 2021
7:58pm, 5 Aug 2021
15,330 posts
  •  
geordiegirl
The Zoe app team have done a great job my positive test came from me reporting feeling tired and shivery for a few days.

My antibody test was only looking for antibodies to virus too.
Aug 2021
8:03pm, 5 Aug 2021
2,298 posts
  •  
PenW
I’m rubbish at remembering to record anything on Zoe app.
Aug 2021
8:40pm, 5 Aug 2021
3,508 posts
  •  
Tim of Fife
Edinburgh trip today. Saw a relative, lovely meal in Italian restaurant, then Henning Wehn's preview show at Edinburgh Corn Exchange.

Henning was really good. An irreverend take on the last sixteen months.

This was somewhat ironic, given that Edinburgh Corn Exchange had a set of Covid protocols which were frankly ridiculous for a small fringe event

But, on the up side, we did get to sit next to strangers and laugh together at a live gig. Nothing beats 'being there'.
Aug 2021
8:52pm, 5 Aug 2021
9,013 posts
  •  
Meeps
The Zoe app had already offered me an antibody test for the virus but as I'm sure I hadn't had it I declined that one.
Aug 2021
8:44am, 6 Aug 2021
7,873 posts
  •  
TeeBee
I did an antibody test for Biobank after my vaccinations. It was negative, but the accompanying literature said not to be concerned if it came up negative - that I would still be protected by the vaccine.
Aug 2021
9:10am, 6 Aug 2021
4,807 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
We do not yet know whether a lack of antibodies after vaccination is associated with an increased risk of COVID-19 down the line – indeed, this is one of the main questions that our research is designed to answer.

It is important to remember that antibodies are just one part of the protective immune response that is induced by vaccination. Vaccination can also induce protective T cell responses, and our antibody test does not measure these. We know that some people develop T cell responses, but not antibody responses, after coronavirus infection – and this may also be the case following vaccination. (We are studying T cell responses in a small group of COVIDENCE participants to address this question – but the T cell test cannot be done on a dried blood sample unfortunately).

Aug 2021
11:07am, 7 Aug 2021
422 posts
  •  
fuzzyduck79
Another one bites the dust. This time a Cambridge graduate who was sure it was no worse than a cold, and the jab was too experimental and he preferred to take his chances having Covid instead:

twitter.com

Good example of how pretty well educated people can fall down misinformation rabbit holes, which continue to exist and are allowed to spread dangerous garbage which leads to people dying or having their lives changed out of recognition.

About This Thread

Maintained by sallykate
Discussion of coronavirus: share useful information, air your frustrations but play nicely!

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.