Coronavirus discussion thread

2 lurkers | 136 watchers
Jul 2021
8:39am, 28 Jul 2021
26,827 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
according to Prof Neil Ferguson of lockdown 1 fame we are almost out of the woods
Jul 2021
8:46am, 28 Jul 2021
51,229 posts
  •  
Derby Tup
‘We’ *might* be but I can’t help but be reminded about people wondering why the virus wasn’t apparently affecting people in Africa or South Asia a year ago
Jul 2021
8:59am, 28 Jul 2021
31,506 posts
  •  
Ocelot Spleens
I can't help feeling something doesn't quite add up right now. Infections falling, have been for a week, but hodpitalisations are still going up at quite a rate, and deaths at the highest daily number since March. There is usually a lag between infections and death, so the hospitalization and death figures shouldvtirn around very soon if the infection data is correct. I say if because the little bit that bothers me is the testing rate which is falling, if you don't test you don't find...

coronavirus.data.gov.uk

My thought is people thinking fuck it, asymptomatic, don't want to be pinged etc.

I hope I am wrong. Hospitalizations in the next week or so will tell.
Jul 2021
9:01am, 28 Jul 2021
26,830 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
plus we haven't see any impact of freedom day
yes there was an element who had already changed there ways but with hospitality etc opening I would expect to see something next week
Jul 2021
9:04am, 28 Jul 2021
21,150 posts
  •  
DeeGee
I may be reading the numbers wrongly, but the positivity rate is coming down.

If people aren't testing because asymptomatic, and more tests are being done either because symptoms, or because hospital admissions, then the positivity rate would be going up, wouldn't it?

Right now I'm doubling down on testing because if I'm going to have to self-isolate my family, I want it to be now rather than when I'm about to go on my holiday. But that's because my employer isn't an arsehole and won't make it awkward for me to self-isolate on his dime.
Jul 2021
9:06am, 28 Jul 2021
21,151 posts
  •  
DeeGee
I'm not sure freedom day will be quite the superspreader that we believe, as I suspect there's a significant overlap between "Pub for football" and "Don't believe in masks". Even more so between "Drunk in Leicester Square with a flare up his arse then bunking Wembley Stadium" and "My rights!"
Jul 2021
9:34am, 28 Jul 2021
12,374 posts
  •  
Little Nemo
I'm not out of the woods!

Just received my Sainsbury's delivery so we have supplies for the next week or so. Very impressed, everything turned up. The driver left the crates with us because I'm unclean ;-)
Jul 2021
9:37am, 28 Jul 2021
26,834 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
take care LN hope it's over with swiftly
Jul 2021
9:53am, 28 Jul 2021
24 posts
  •  
OVERTHELAST
There's a bit of chatter about separating out hospitalisations into 1. People who go in with Covid and only Covid, need oxygen etc, and 2. People who go in with a broken leg, cancer, stomach ulcer, knee replacement etc and post a positive PCR without having any symptoms and it being a bit of a surprise to them - and they don't need any Covid-specific treatment.

In my view only the first should count as Covid admissions, the rest should be counted as cases/positive PCR but not Covid admissions. This would give a better picture of the Covid problem, given the virulence of Delta it's likely everyone will be carrying a bit of virus to some degree but if it isn't causing a problem it doesn't matter in this context. I did read that the second group are estimating to be around 45% of Covid admissions but obviously true data is needed, and that they are going to count like this in Ireland in future.
Jul 2021
9:56am, 28 Jul 2021
20,516 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
Is there not also a 3rd which are those in group 2 but who do develop Covid symptoms and need treatment for that as long as whatever their primary situation was. These should count in 1) as well ?

About This Thread

Maintained by sallykate
Discussion of coronavirus: share useful information, air your frustrations but play nicely!

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.