Coronavirus discussion thread

2 lurkers | 136 watchers
Sep 2020
8:39am, 21 Sep 2020
12,006 posts
  •  
larkim
worldometers.info

I see the US has finally surpassed the UK in terms of deaths per 1m population. We can finally breathe easy that the US has officially handled it worse than we have...
Sep 2020
8:57am, 21 Sep 2020
6,881 posts
  •  
Helegant
I've been thinking about the 'learning to live underwater*' scenario. A vaccine will be a wonderful relief when/if we get one. But I'm working on the assumption that there will be another virus after this one, and we need to accept that our world will never be what it was. This leaves me feeling very sad.

* An old Jewish story about the impending apocalypse.
Sep 2020
9:00am, 21 Sep 2020
6,882 posts
  •  
Helegant
Lest you dont know it..."There’s an old joke that has been updated for this era.   The world’s top scientists send out a press release stating that the climate change calamity they’ve been warning about for years is coming to pass.  They announce it will be catastrophic, wiping out the majority of the world’s population, and it will happen in only four days.  To comfort the people of the world, the Pope, the Dalai Lama, and the Chief Rabbi of Israel all appear on television.

The pope says, “My children, you have four days to accept our Lord and savior into your heart and find comfort by his side in Heaven.”

The Dalai Lama says, “My friends, I ask all of you to embrace Buddhist teachings so that you may find inner peace in the midst of disaster.  We have four days to find nirvana.”

The Chief Rabbi says, “My people, we have four days to learn how to live underwater.”
Sep 2020
9:03am, 21 Sep 2020
18,741 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
nicely put Helegant
Sep 2020
9:13am, 21 Sep 2020
779 posts
  •  
Reinhold Messner
After the 1918-era flu epidemic with all its millions of deaths and social restrictions, the 1920s weren’t so bad for the species as a whole (although clearly those unfortunate to be sick/dead didn’t have a good time of it). I don’t think we need to announce the end of history just yet, but agree that it’s sensible to take steps to limit the impact of the virus for the next year or two.
Sep 2020
11:16am, 21 Sep 2020
11,495 posts
  •  
geordiegirl
Just had the dog out for a quick walk. Came past local secondary school and kids were coming out so I suspect a covid outbreak in one of the years/classes.
Sep 2020
11:48am, 21 Sep 2020
293 posts
  •  
magnumpti
I organise a football match every week with a group of mates. We started up again on a local school pitch last Monday for the first time since March. One of the lads who plays also plays on a Wednesday night and plays on another local school pitch. They can't book a pitch at the moment because it's just a group of friends playing whereas if he was affiliated to a club the club could book a pitch because it's just a group of friends playing who happen to be members. of the club Thankfully we don't have any such restrictions but it shows how the interpretation of the rules is so contradictory.
jda
Sep 2020
11:52am, 21 Sep 2020
8,419 posts
  •  
jda
If he was affiliated to the club I would expect he would have to adhere to a certain amount of covid-secure paperwork and behaviour (maybe not very much). That's certainly the case for our club runs where we are now permitting more than 6.
Sep 2020
1:35pm, 21 Sep 2020
5,624 posts
  •  
Metro_Nome
The "more restrictions are totally coming, but we won't tell you what" is stressing me out. just introduce them and be done.
Sep 2020
1:36pm, 21 Sep 2020
5,625 posts
  •  
Metro_Nome
I thought the whole organised sport thing was about more than just being affiliated- I read somewhere that you are required to have a COVID nominated person, a risk assessment, and track n trace in place to count?

About This Thread

Maintained by sallykate
Discussion of coronavirus: share useful information, air your frustrations but play nicely!

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.