BIKE THREAD

8 lurkers | 200 watchers
Feb 2008
2:02pm, 28 Feb 2008
2,053 posts
  •  
Rach E
Chunky, if you're cycling that far, you may find that you're too tired to train effectively during your running sessions and (potentially) your running performances could be compromised. How often are you going to be doing the 44 miles?
Feb 2008
3:15pm, 28 Feb 2008
29,595 posts
  •  
Hanneke
I have been upping my cycling again lately... I used to commute at least 15 miles a day when I lived in London and never foudn it was all that detrimental to my running.

I also heard yesterday, from a serious cyclist, that cycling, and especially cycling up hills, builds your quads, whcih will help me with fell running and generally running uphill and stabilising my legs while running and not putting so much pressure on mt ITB :-)
Feb 2008
5:48pm, 28 Feb 2008
62 posts
  •  
Rach, It was my first attempt yesterday, thinking of doing it once a week but maybe on spilt days, ie 22 miles a day. Maybe eventually 2 days a week, but would have trouble fitting in my runs then, I already cycle Saturdays. I know I should try to bulid slowly, but cycling seems so much kinder to me than running I get carried away. Still consider myself a runner first though.
Feb 2008
7:09pm, 28 Feb 2008
3 posts
  •  
Chunky, I think that Rach E is right, 44 miles sounds like a lot. In my experience mixing cycling with running is a very individual thing - for some people it helps, for others it is a neutral effect and for others it is detrimental to their running. I'm definitely in the neutral or detrimental class. I have a theory about the mixed effects and your name and picture on your profile might be of relevance to this. I'm big for a runner, over 6 foot and around 13 and a half stone in fact my nickname used to be 'carthorse'. If I cycle too much my quads get too bulky for running fast and I slow down. However, I think that if you are a runner of a medium to slight build and don't have a physiology that leads to you putting on lots of muscle when you exercise then the extra leg strength and general fitness that you can gain can be very useful. In the end you just have to experiment a bit to find the right balance. Hope that is of some help
Feb 2008
7:13pm, 28 Feb 2008
2,294 posts
  •  
I am just about to start training on a bike a bit more seriously as I am struggling with a persistant knee injury. I will use a turbo trainer as well as the rest of this year will be tricky juggling children and training at times. I look forward to reading back on this thread. My main problem is being terrified of London traffic. I intend to do a course. I am visiting 'Tri and Run' tomorrow with view to buying one of their bikes while they have their sale :-) I have entered a duathlon for September.
Feb 2008
7:14pm, 28 Feb 2008
2,295 posts
  •  
Han, reading your post - perhaps it will help me with my knees too as my injuries are due to quad strength :-)
Feb 2008
7:39pm, 28 Feb 2008
4,794 posts
  •  
idio
44 miles is not that much even taking it relatively easy it's only 2 1/2 hours.
Feb 2008
8:20pm, 28 Feb 2008
2,199 posts
  •  
jude
only?!?!?!?!?!?!!?
Feb 2008
8:34pm, 28 Feb 2008
6,001 posts
  •  
Mrs BooBoo LaBoy
I miss my bike....:-(
Feb 2008
8:43pm, 28 Feb 2008
4 posts
  •  
Mrs Boo Boo - what's happend to your bike?

Buzzard's Sis was wondering if cycling can help with knee injuries. I've found that its helped me when I've had trouble - Make sure that you have the saddle height adjusted correctly and don't go mad pushing big gears. You might know this already, but here are a couple of links relating to bike setup and prevention of knee trouble when cycling

cliftoncc.org

gssiweb.com

About This Thread

Maintained by GregP