BIKE THREAD

200 watchers
Sep 2008
11:32am, 4 Sep 2008
1,720 posts
  •  
is the qr moving freely in the spindle? it could be seized on one side so you are not tightening up properly.
Sep 2008
11:33am, 4 Sep 2008
6,538 posts
  •  
GregP
Right - that's one thing to check tonight - thaks, PL.
Sep 2008
11:34am, 4 Sep 2008
1,721 posts
  •  
will be a hammer job and wd40 to loosen it.
Sep 2008
11:41am, 4 Sep 2008
651 posts
  •  
Slowboy
Expensive QR skewers on properly machined and aligned dropouts should close firmly but without undue pressure and will stay rock solid.

Cheaper ones, with more slop in the mechanism, and dropouts that are maybe not completely parallel, can take a bit more...persuasion. You shouldn't end up using any kind of tool on the level though, but it might need a bit more hand pressure.

Check it's all moving freely and try doing it up a bit tighter - if that still doesn't help, might be worth trying replacing the skewers. They can follow a pattern....they keep coming loose, user keeps ightening them, gets annoyed, tightens them RIGHT up, forces the lever closed, and in doing so causes the cheap steel skewer to stretch, and hence they loosen again (or break)

If you aren't bothered about the paint finish on the dropouts, you could put a thin lock-washer (one of the little spiky ones) on the skewer at each end, so that it sits between the outside of the dropout and the face of the skewer that tightens on to it - that'll give it a lot more grip, but won't do either the finish on the skewer or the frame much good. Depends on whether it's a good quality bike and you just want it to work right, or if it's a bit more bargain basement and you're willing to accept a bodge.
Sep 2008
11:49am, 4 Sep 2008
6,542 posts
  •  
GregP
Bodge is good. Its from c. 1997. Stand by, over.
Sep 2008
11:51am, 4 Sep 2008
6,543 posts
  •  
GregP
One of these, except over a decade old and used for approx 5 mile round trip to the station every working day regardless of whether throughout:

amazon.co.uk
Sep 2008
11:51am, 4 Sep 2008
6,544 posts
  •  
GregP
'Weather', not 'whether'. Sorry.
Sep 2008
12:22pm, 4 Sep 2008
652 posts
  •  
Slowboy
Good chance that the skewer is stuck in the axle, then. Free it up, clean everything up, check how sloppy the cam is in the QR etc.

Then do it up bloody tight and see if that helps. :)

Or you could always buy the missus a new bike.....
Sep 2008
12:26pm, 4 Sep 2008
6,556 posts
  •  
GregP
That just caused a genuine lol. Thanks for that. I've been wanting to buy her a new bike for yonks. Somethin g like the one discussed on 'How was', in fact - although tbh I think she'd get on really well with a Gazelle.
Sep 2008
12:30pm, 4 Sep 2008
653 posts
  •  
Slowboy
Thoughts for fixies:

cgi.ebay.co.uk
cgi.ebay.co.uk
cgi.ebay.co.uk

These guys are in the states though, so the shipping charges they are quoting are prohibitive, but I'm thinking of Emailing them to see if they can do any slow-but-cheap shipping....I want a fixie for winter, so I don't mind waiting 6 weeks for delivery....

About This Thread

Maintained by GregP