•  
Slowboy
(6) get numbering right in the first place
Sep 2008
4:50pm, 3 Sep 2008
6,491 posts
  •  
GregP
I'm sure I saw a suitable frame for much less on ChainReaction, but I might be wrong. Often am, in fact.
Sep 2008
9:24am, 4 Sep 2008
20 posts
  •  
A few weeks ago I bough a tri and run bike (nearly new from the London Tri Exp). I have been told that I should buy some spare inner tubes. Should I buy branded or are decathlon own brand okay?

(I know nothing about bikes but decathlon running clothing is excellent. Very comfortable and lasts too.)
Sep 2008
10:57am, 4 Sep 2008
647 posts
  •  
Slowboy
errr...nothing to recommend there, raoul - innertubes are hardly hi-tech (although I'm sure you can get massively expensive ones which claim to be so) I usually get michelin or vittoria but tbh they're only a few quid anyways. I'd say try the decathlon ones, I can't imagine there'd be any problems with them.

If you want to be a complete obsessive, you could compare how heavy they are compared to some others, but assuming they are the right size, go in ok, hold air and aren't particularly prone to puncturing (which is more of a tyre issue anyway) then they'll be a sgood as anything else.
Sep 2008
11:03am, 4 Sep 2008
648 posts
  •  
Slowboy
This one, GregP? chainreactioncycles.com
Sep 2008
11:08am, 4 Sep 2008
13,908 posts
  •  
B.B.
Raoul - you should definitely get some inner tubes, and I don't think there's much difference in brands. You should practice changing a tube whilst at home before having to learn when you first get a puncture. The major difficulty, I've found, is trying to get the tight and stiff racing tyres back onto the rim. It takes me ages every time!!
Sep 2008
11:10am, 4 Sep 2008
6,534 posts
  •  
GregP
Yep Slowboy - that's the one.

QUESTION: MrsP's hybrid (which does *not* have vertical drop outs) is suffering from the rear wheel working itself loose every few miles. Short of just doing it up *really really* tight, is there anything else I should be looking out for?

Cheers./GregP.
Sep 2008
11:16am, 4 Sep 2008
13,911 posts
  •  
B.B.
No idea, GreP. That must be a pain in the arse. Literally.
Sep 2008
11:17am, 4 Sep 2008
650 posts
  •  
Slowboy
Does it have QR skewers or conventional nuts? If skewers, are they a named brand, or something cheap and generic (I apologise in advance if they're, like, Campag super record or something)

Cheap skewers can occasionally stretch.

Is it that the wheel is moving about in the dropout, or that the qr skewer is slackening off, or the wheel nuts are coming loose?
Sep 2008
11:24am, 4 Sep 2008
6,536 posts
  •  
GregP
Its a cheap QR, and the wheel's moving around in the dropout. I think this brings us to the 'how tight should it be done up?' question. If the answer is 'very - you should use pliers to close the QR' then I'll do that, but its not what I do with any of my bikes, fo sho.

About This Thread

Maintained by GregP