BIKE THREAD

200 watchers
Aug 2008
5:13pm, 22 Aug 2008
3,147 posts
  •  
hammerite
Agree with GreP overshoes in winter make riding that little bit more enjoyable. Rather than having frozen blocks of ice at the end of your legs!

EP - the other thing about cycling jackets, is that on the whole they are more windproof than running jackets. you'll probably be travelling at 10mph faster than you do running for less effort, so you don't sweat as much and you feel the wind chill more in the winter. I love my Foska windproof cycling jacket, trouble is it's so warm I have to wait until it's 0C before I can wear it!

And pockets are fantastic in cycling kit!!! As an asthmatic I have to carry my inhaler everywhere, which makes buying running shorts a pain in the a*se! (try getting keys and an inhaler in those tiny key pockets in most shorts). No such problem with cycling kit.
MH
Aug 2008
5:24pm, 22 Aug 2008
8 posts
  •  
MH
Cycling kit in Lidl at the moment - might be some left as it was only in yesterday. Perfectly OK long tights with a bit of padding and perfectly OK LS cycling shirts (both mens and womens).
They also have jackets, but couldn't really comment on those - I tend to save on the tights and shirts and spend a bit more on a jacket
Aug 2008
11:32pm, 25 Aug 2008
8 posts
  •  
Hello everyone. I'm currently looking around at bikes as am hoping to be able to upgrade from my hybrid to a road bike. I tried out a Giant SCR 1 today which I liked very much. Tomorrow I will enquire about the C2W scheme and am praying that my employer offers it. A couple of things that I'm mulling over, that I hope you may not mind helping me with?

1. I live in a really hilly area - Plymouth, so I cycle round Dartmoor which has stonker hills. At the mo I have a triple on my hybrid and there are a couple of hills that I have to use the small ring on as they are so very steep. I'm hoping I'll get away with a compact? Maybe I should stick with a triple?

2. I'm a girl but the bike I tried today was a mans bike. However, I am tall 5ft 10". I have long legs. Not sure whether I should go for a womens specific? But the bike I tried felt fine. Then again I didn't ride it for that long. Do they do womens specific bikes for the taller lady?

anyone have views on Giant. I currently have a specialized sirrus elite hybrid which was my first bike that I got when I first got injured from running! Must say it has been an excellent bike, solid, sturdy, reliable - a real confidence booster. 2 1/2 years on I'm still cycling and doing some tri's. I feel ready to move to a road bike now.

I'm a bit of a dim wit when it comes to the number of teeth thing, but understand this makes a difference. Are all compacts the same or do they vary too?

Gosh sorry for all the questions! I hope it is ok to bombard you all with so many questions!
Aug 2008
7:24am, 26 Aug 2008
6,106 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
thanks guys, having a huge butt maybe I do need a specific jacket!!
I bought a D lock for my lad from Lidl as well as lights, floor pump and under seat tool kit
I'm a short arse so didn't get the tights, I've had running tights from Aldi before and they are fine but 4" too long!

SS you may find it will take 2-3mths to get your C2W stuff I've heard
Aug 2008
10:35am, 26 Aug 2008
1,554 posts
  •  
SS speak to Han, she rides a giant and sounds about your size. often pops in here.

You can't go wrong with one. Compacts normally come with a 50 outer ring and anything between 34-36 inner.

The smaller number of teeth on the inner will help you get up the hills better as it will allow for lower gears.
Aug 2008
10:50am, 26 Aug 2008
5,837 posts
  •  
GregP
AJPAR's got an SCR3, too. Think Gobi might have a TCR or similar...
Aug 2008
11:00am, 26 Aug 2008
5,840 posts
  •  
GregP
I was expecting nothing less, Matt.
Aug 2008
11:59am, 26 Aug 2008
6,221 posts
  •  
Stepford Wife
And nothing more ;-)
Aug 2008
12:12pm, 26 Aug 2008
4,457 posts
  •  
I would like to know a bit more about overshoes - are they suitable for a 400 mile swim?
Which ones should I get and how many? What kind of undershoes do people normally wear underneath?
Aug 2008
2:42pm, 26 Aug 2008
4,564 posts
  •  
cube-bikes.de

Your opinions on this please folks.

the Cycle to work scheme is in place I just need to find the right bike.

About This Thread

Maintained by GregP