Baking thread

98 watchers
28 Jan
1:43pm, 28 Jan 2024
38,588 posts
  •  
Ocelot Spleens
Just had a walk. There's something on the menu called a snickerdoodle!
28 Jan
2:33pm, 28 Jan 2024
28,330 posts
  •  
Lizzie W
Love a snickerdoodle!
28 Jan
3:14pm, 28 Jan 2024
38,589 posts
  •  
Ocelot Spleens
They're not bad, Plain cookie with a bit of cinnamon. I might make some.
28 Jan
4:59pm, 28 Jan 2024
6,891 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
I wasn't impressed with the gf ones I tried in the States.

Peanut butter bread baked here. Far too easy to eat!
28 Jan
5:42pm, 28 Jan 2024
66,386 posts
  •  
LindsD
Recipe please! Sounds like ultra fuel
28 Jan
5:46pm, 28 Jan 2024
6,894 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
Adapted from a recipe found on t'internet. The gf version is a little fallaparty but not too bad with the addition of a 1/4 tsp of xanthan gum. It's definitely good recovery food - I love it with blackcurrant jam on!

Peanut Butter Bread

280g plain flour (2 cups)
1 TBS Baking Powder
1/2 tsp fine sea salt
65g butter softened (1/4 cup)
95g granulated sugar (1/2 cup) (I use 50g)
50g soft dark brown sugar (1/4 cup, firmly packed)
180g smooth peanut butter (1 cup) (I use a mix of crunchy and smooth 100% PB)
1 large free range egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
240ml milk (1 cup milk)

Preheat the oven to 180*C/350*F/ gas mark 4. Butter a 9 X 5 X 3 inch loaf tin. Set aside.
Whisk the flour, baking powder and salt together in a bowl. Set aside.
Cream the butter and both sugars together until combined. Add the peanut butter and mix well together. Beat in the egg and vanilla. Add the flour mixture, alternately with the milk, making three dry and two wet additions. Spoon into the prepared loaf tin.
Bake in the preheated oven for 50 to 60 minutes, until well risen and a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean. The top should spring back when lightly touched.
Cool in the tin for 10 minutes prior to tipping out onto a wire rack to finish cooling completely.
28 Jan
6:14pm, 28 Jan 2024
4,985 posts
  •  
Elsie Too
I stupidly said not to buy cake yesterday when we did the shop. Said I would bake something for B to have in his packed lunch.

Today I’m exhausted but managed to bash out a batch of gingerbread men. As always i should have listened to hubby who said not to put the pressure on and just buy something.
28 Jan
6:19pm, 28 Jan 2024
66,388 posts
  •  
LindsD
Thanks LMH

And well done Elsie. Buy it next time though. :)

My sister spent the afternoon with Jürgen from BakeOff.
29 Jan
6:31am, 29 Jan 2024
6,895 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
Home made is usually nicer and better Elsie but not at the expense of your health and wellbeing.

How did that happen Linds?

I thought of a couple of bakes that I make that might be good ultra fuel Linds. Can't credit the original because I have no idea where I found them, most likely the internet as I can spend hours trawling recipes.

Peanut butter and choc traybake
120g unsalted butter, softened
85g (3 1/2oz) crunchy peanut butter
100g caster sugar
100g (3 1/2oz) muscovado sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 eggs
200g plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
100g rolled oats
100g (3 1/2oz) roasted peanuts, roughly chopped
150g (5oz) dark chocolate, chopped into small chunks (or use choc chips/chunks)

Preheat the oven, gas 4, 180°C, fan 160°C.
Grease a 20 x 30cm (8 x 12in) baking dish. Put the butter, peanut butter and sugars in the bowl of an electric mixer. Mix until light and fluffy. Add the vanilla and eggs one at a time, fully incorporating before adding the next one. Add the flour, baking powder, 1/4 tsp salt, oats, peanuts and chocolate chips, and mix until just combined.
Pour the mixture into the prepared dish, level out and press down with a spatula or the back of a spoon. Bake for 18 minutes, until slightly puffed up and golden on the edges. Do not bake for longer as it will become dry. Remove, leave to cool completely and then cut into squares.

Think I've posted this one before:
Chickpea, date and cashew bites
400g tin chickpeas, drained and liquid reserved
75g/2½oz porridge oats
200g/7oz dates, chopped
150g/5½oz roasted cashews
1 tbsp vanilla extract
50g/1¾oz dark chocolate (70% cocoa solids), roughly chopped

Line a 20cm/8in square loose-bottomed cake tin with baking paper.
Tip the drained chickpeas and the oats into a food processor, including a tablespoon of the reserved liquid. (This will help the bar stick together.) Blend until the mixture is a rough paste.
Add the dates, cashews and vanilla extract and blend until the nuts and dates are finely chopped. (You may need to work in two batches if you have a small-ish food processor.) The mixture shouldn't be too smooth or it will be very sticky. Add more chickpea liquid if needed. Press into the lined tin with your hands so that you have a thick, even layer.
Tip the chocolate into a heatproof bowl and microwave on high for 1½ minutes. Check to see if the chocolate has melted. If not, return to the microwave for another 30 seconds and repeat until the chocolate has melted. (Alternatively, place the bowl over a pan of simmering water to melt the chocolate, making sure that the bowl doesn’t touch the water.)
Drizzle the chocolate over the top then leave to set in the refrigerator for an hour.
Remove from the tin, cut into squares and serve.
29 Jan
7:34am, 29 Jan 2024
66,394 posts
  •  
LindsD
Thank you.

A friend of my sister's is a fabulous cook and has a successful Insta account about cooking and baking. Jürgen came to visit her to make a video together and my sister was invited to tea :)

About This Thread

Maintained by LindsD
Can't find one, so I thought I would start one, to share ideas, results and recipes....and the all-important pictures.

Recipes we like: cakes

fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=552

Recipes we like: bread

fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=553

Recipes we like: savoury snacks

fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=554

Recipes we like: biscuits

fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=555