Baking thread

1 lurker | 98 watchers
Mar 2013
8:42pm, 18 Mar 2013
10,632 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
recording mr hollywood for the weekend

anyone got a GOOD hot cross bun recipe - I've tried 2-3 times and never got a nice one
I like spicy ones with proper amounts of fruit in!
Mar 2013
8:44pm, 18 Mar 2013
7,790 posts
  •  
Caterpillar
Sainsbury's do a good HXB. Outsource. :-)
Mar 2013
8:14am, 19 Mar 2013
3,643 posts
  •  
icemaiden
Paul Hollywoods HCB recipe pimped with 300g of fruit and leave out the apple and orange zest does the biz for me. I use 4tsp mixed spice which slows it all down nicely

bbcgoodfood.com

And a description of how I do it:

wp.me
Mar 2013
8:25am, 19 Mar 2013
3,644 posts
  •  
icemaiden
Paul Hollwood looks like he has a nice kitchen, but we had to laugh at the fact he mixed everything in different bowls, sometimes even in a wooden salad bowl, like John Lewis had let the stylist loose and she'd picked up one of everything. No cheap plastic Ikea bowls for him, there's wood, stainless steel, some beautifully glazed jobs too. He also puts a lot of effort into kneading and pounding his dough into submission. It could put people off you know.
Mar 2013
8:39am, 19 Mar 2013
4,322 posts
  •  
leaguefreak
I'm going to tape the flatbread episode next week because I fancy making some and have a preconception that it's all terribly difficult. Mainly because when I was in Turkey people bought the flatbread type stuff because they "couldn't make it". My sensible side tells me that's because they were professionals working 6 day weeks, and very long days at that, and both home grown produce and labour are reasonably inexpensive. It's got to be possible, right?

I thought Paul Hollywood would get on my nerves but actually he's bearable. It's the way it's filmed (with all the arty pouring, slomo kneading and sh*te) that drove me spare.
Mar 2013
12:40pm, 19 Mar 2013
6,384 posts
  •  
Star x
I didnt watch it, I'm not that keen on him to be honest - though I love GBBO - but thats mainly due to Mel and Sue
Mar 2013
12:45pm, 19 Mar 2013
24,529 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
I'm going to make lots of flapjack this weekend, some to the recipe I used last weekend but with some tweaks to try to make a more solid and less fragile confection, and some to HP's recipe :)
Mar 2013
12:58pm, 19 Mar 2013
180 posts
  •  
jacdaw
You can add 1/2 a banana to flapjack to make it softer and less fragile. It makes it easier to carry and easier to eat on very cold days. It also makes it a bit nicer if you are trying to reduce the amount of butter in the recipe. The downside is, the texture is much less flapjacky (a bit weird really, between a cake and a flapjack), and the taste is, well, banana-y. So not as nice as proper flapjack, but better than a bag of crumbs to inhale in the middle of a long run / cycle.

I also find that crushing the oats a bit with your hands (like rubbing in pastry) helps to reduce fragility if they are big and posh oats - or just buy the cheapest "porridge" oats rather than "jumbo" type.

Varying temp / time in oven effects their position on the chewy to rock hard scale, too.

If you do manage to bake the perfect transportable flapjack, I'd really like to know the secret.
Mar 2013
1:05pm, 19 Mar 2013
6,386 posts
  •  
Star x
I use cheapest oats for making flapjacks - the special jumbo ones for breakfast only. I have made mincemeat ones in the past that if I remember correctly held their own - got the recipe from the 'Go Faster Food' book. handy if you have left over mincemeat from christmas
Mar 2013
4:32pm, 19 Mar 2013
14,612 posts
  •  
halfpint
Mine aren't fragile but can be a bit sticky on the bottom.

About This Thread

Maintained by LindsD
Can't find one, so I thought I would start one, to share ideas, results and recipes....and the all-important pictures.

Recipes we like: cakes

fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=552

Recipes we like: bread

fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=553

Recipes we like: savoury snacks

fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=554

Recipes we like: biscuits

fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=555