Baking thread

1 lurker | 98 watchers
Dec 2012
6:54pm, 3 Dec 2012
3,516 posts
  •  
icemaiden
That sounds nice. I love apricots. That's quite a lot of batches of flapjacks too. Nice.

On the subject of Christmas pressies that are home made I like making chocolate bark - melting slabs of dark, milk and light chocolate and then wodging on lots of chopped up dried fruits and toasted nuts, obviously including all the ones I like such as crystalised ginger and nuts and some good candid peel, leaving to cool and breaking up.
Dec 2012
6:59pm, 3 Dec 2012
7,943 posts
  •  
Hourglass of Mulled Wine
Feeling all festive :-) ...here's my Cranberry and Orange Caramel Shortbread recipe - has optional booze in it too ;-)

Cranberry and Orange Millionaire’s Shortbread – Wheat Free

Wheat Free Shortbread

100g Corn Flour
160g White Rice Flour
115g Caster Sugar
175g Butter, cubed
Zest of an Orange

Cranberry Caramel

100g Dried Cranberries *** 4cl Cointreau – Optional
175g Butter
100g Caster Sugar
2 Tablespoons Golden Syrup
1 x 400g can of Condensed Milk

175g Milk Chocolate
100g Dark Chocolate with Orange
Zest of Half an Orange

Line a 25cm x 20cm x 2.5cm baking tin with baking parchment. Preheat the oven to 170°C/Gas Mark 3.
Soak the dried cranberries in the Cointreau if using, otherwise save the cranberries until the caramel stage.

Shortbread

Add sugar, orange zest, corn flour and rice flour to a medium-large bowl. Add butter and rub mixture between fingertips until it resembles breadcrumbs – bring mixture together until a soft dough forms (if it feels too sticky add a little more flour – either one is fine). Using the baking parchment from the baking tin lay the dough in the middle. Place another layer of baking parchment on top, and using a rolling tin, roll the dough to just smaller than the size of the tin. Lift the dough and base parchment back into the tin, ease the dough to the edges…this does seem a faff, but it is easier than squashing the dough to fit.
Prick the surface with a fork and bake for 30-35mins – it will still feel soft when hot, but should be a like golden colour.

Caramel

Place the butter, sugar, syrup and condensed milk in a heavy based pan (I find a non-stick works best) and very slowly bring to the boil, stirring constantly – this will take jolly ages, but will get there. Bubble away gently, stirring all the time until it is golden coloured (the more golden it is the more toffee texture it has, and will be easier to cut). Do not let it ‘catch’ on the bottom of the pan or it will burn. Take off the heat and carefully stir in the cranberries. Pour the mixture over the cooled shortbread, tilting the tin to reach the corners. Leave to cool.

Slowly melt the chocolate in a bowl over a pan of barely simmering water – meanwhile grate the zest of half an orange. When melted, gently mix in zest then pour over the cold caramel, again tilting the tin to get into the corners – encouraging with a spoon if necessary.

Leave to set in a cool place, or fridge, and cut into pieces…
…and then jolly well sit and enjoy the fruits of your labour – tis two of your 5-a-day ;D
Dec 2012
7:02pm, 3 Dec 2012
3,517 posts
  •  
icemaiden
Nom, that sounds yum!
Dec 2012
10:55pm, 3 Dec 2012
2,549 posts
  •  
SherryB
will post clementine & ginger relish recipe for you ...
Dec 2012
11:10pm, 3 Dec 2012
7,944 posts
  •  
Hourglass of Mulled Wine
:-)
Dec 2012
9:26am, 4 Dec 2012
2,551 posts
  •  
SherryB
Found it - I was beginning to panic because I couldn't find it and I'll need it myself at the weekend.

6 clementines
2tbsp olive oil

1 onion (or leek) peeled & chopped
2 cloves garlic, peeled & crushed
5cm piece root ginger, peeled & finely chopped
1 red chilli, deseeded & finely chopped

100g sultanas (I skip these)
100ml red wine vinegar
250g demerara sugar
3 tbsp soy sauce

Use zester to remove 1 tbsp of zest from clementines. Put clementines in a bowl, cover with boiling water & leave to stand for 10 mins. Drain, peel, chop flesh roughly, removing any pips.

Heat oil in large pan and fry onion/leek, garlic, & ginger for 15 mins over low heat until onion is softened. Add chopped clementine flesh, zest, sultanas, vinegar, sugar & soy sauce and heat gently until sugar dissolves. Raise the heat and allow to bubble for 40 mins until turns syrupy.

Very easy to make. Tastes gorgeous with pork or turkey.
Dec 2012
9:39am, 4 Dec 2012
7,945 posts
  •  
Hourglass of Mulled Wine
*passes over a restorative cup of tea to Sherry :-)* That's looks fab, thank you - bet it would go well on a cheese sandwich too...especially if said sandwich contained Stilton :-)
Dec 2012
4:30pm, 4 Dec 2012
13,808 posts
  •  
elfpint
Fab!! How much does that make??
Dec 2012
6:25pm, 4 Dec 2012
2,552 posts
  •  
SherryB
About 2 or 3 tall (ordinary size) jam jars I think. I tend to put it in smaller jars like old mustard jars etc. Ooooh yes it would be nice with stilton or a good strong cheese. I eat it with all sorts.
Dec 2012
7:24pm, 12 Dec 2012
2,558 posts
  •  
SherryB
I made this today and actually it makes much less than I remembered. maybe one jam jar full.

About This Thread

Maintained by LindsD
Can't find one, so I thought I would start one, to share ideas, results and recipes....and the all-important pictures.

Recipes we like: cakes

fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=552

Recipes we like: bread

fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=553

Recipes we like: savoury snacks

fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=554

Recipes we like: biscuits

fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=555