Who Squares Wins!

3 lurkers | 174 watchers
Jun 2020
12:49pm, 8 Jun 2020
443 posts
  •  
Daddy Shark
geordiegirl, Ishep wrote this on 31st May and I pinned it:

GG, your match score shows squares owned by you vs owned by your opponent - this is the only thing that matters to determine whether you win, lose our draw the match.

In order to own any particular square, you have to have earned more points in that square than your opponent has. You get 2 points the first time you run in a square on a particular day, 4 points if you swim, and 1 each for walking or biking; you can score points for multiple activity types in the same square on the same day, but only once each per activity. You can do it all again the following day. So, if you have run through a square on three different days, you will have earned 6 points for that square; however, if your opponent has run through that same square twice, earning 4 points, you'll only see the balance of 2 points in your favour. If you've both been in a square but are tied on points, it shows as cake, but it's owned by neither of you.

Separate to that, you can also see, in smaller text, the number of squares each of you have explored. This is important for the purposes of badges. Regardless of your match score, you can earn a badge for exploring 1, 50, 100, 150, 200 or 225 squares in a given week. The latter is the maximum possible and is called Gridmaster
Jun 2020
12:54pm, 8 Jun 2020
444 posts
  •  
Daddy Shark
Raemond, I'm quite a seasoned OW swimmer (but only on hols for more than the last decade), having come back to proper running via triathlon a long while ago. So, your suggestion seems wrong for me. On the other hand, the other suggestions (especially ITG's realistic one) make me think Ocho might not be at all practical in my locality. I need to mull it over some more.
Jun 2020
12:55pm, 8 Jun 2020
34,911 posts
  •  
DocM
hi HappyGrr
Jun 2020
12:56pm, 8 Jun 2020
445 posts
  •  
Daddy Shark
Can we all please pin isheps post, third down (see link), so that it gets onto the most pinned list. It's too useful to lose.

fetcheveryone.com/forum/who-squares-wins-60346/1544
Jun 2020
12:58pm, 8 Jun 2020
10,340 posts
  •  
geordiegirl
Thanks Daddy Shark I mixed up the message from iShep I thought the 134 was squares not the 76. I’ll get there.
Jun 2020
1:11pm, 8 Jun 2020
35,113 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
DocM hellooooo! A fellow TBOGUAer!

BeardRunner, not sure you'll see shanksi chat much. mrs shanksi is in a few threads, but I haven't seen shanksi post in quite a while.

In terms of WSW rules, I think it's up to everyone to just choose their own. You are allowed to log run for 2 points, cycle for 1 (is swim a 4?!) and 1 for anything else logged with a GPS. If you want to log a walk, cutting the grass, gardening, knitting anything with a GPS then I'd say you can. And if you go outside and run to the end of your drive and back and call that a run, then 2 points are yours.

I choose to log only what I used to log in the training log. But that's my log and my rule. For me! No right to impose it on anyone else. I enjoy WSW because I try out different places. And in lock down or prior to that, running from work, it made me explore a bit (within about a 2 mile radius). If nothing else, it's stopped me doing out and backs! :-) G
Jun 2020
1:18pm, 8 Jun 2020
9,466 posts
  •  
ITG 🇮🇸
DS, my pool is almost entirely outside. Actually, it is 2 25m pools (one 6 lane, one 4 lane), one indoor 17m pool, plus a steam bath, cold bath, massive slides, and an eclectic collection of hot tubs. It also covers 4 WSW squares. Admission is about 6 quid at the door but half that if you buy 10 or more tickets at a time.

Jealous yet? Don't be. Remember the snow I have to wade through for half the year! I'm entitled to some perks.

I don't count sitting in the hottub as cross training, not even when I'm holding a squat. But maybe I should...
Jun 2020
1:24pm, 8 Jun 2020
35,114 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Without swimming (OW), is the max you can get in any one square in a week 28 points then? i.e. 1 x cross train (e.g. walk) 1 point, 1 x cycle 1 point + 1 x run 2 points x 7 days. Or can you walk AND do a separate cross train? Sorry for being thick! :-) G
Jun 2020
1:25pm, 8 Jun 2020
19,345 posts
  •  
DeeGee
Oh, newish player this week! Hello, MollyRose!

I'm back to a human-powered commute now, so I managed 103 squares last week.
Jun 2020
1:27pm, 8 Jun 2020
5,857 posts
  •  
57.5 Degrees of Pain
8 days HappyG, Monday pm and following Monday am.

About This Thread

Maintained by fetcheveryone
fetcheveryone.com/wsw.php

Game guide here:
fetcheveryone.com/wsw-guide.php