RW Mature Runners

1 lurker | 12 watchers
5 Sep
5:06pm, 5 Sep 2024
33 posts
  •  
Aquarius
WtnMel Thanks, I had seen the Preview button, but wanted to amend something I'd just posted. It would be a shame if there's no way of doing that.

I hope you can get your mum sorted out with some NHS hearing aids without too much of a wait. It must have been nice for her to see her grandchildren, and play cards with them (who won? :) )
Good luck with your new shoes, sounds hopeful at the moment.
I see you are lining up another activity - a community choir this time. I admire your drive and enthusiasm. Although I must admit that out of all the activities you are involved in this is one I'd love to try. The only problem is that I couldn't sing in tune to save my life. In fact my husband calls me "the one note wonder" as everything I sing sounds like the same note over and over. I'm convinced I'm in tune, but it's obviously all in my head. I noticed a few years ago that a local music venue was putting together a completely amateur choir to rehearse Mozart's Requiem, which just happens to be one of my favourite pieces of music. They said it was open to anyone to take part, regardless of ability, but I think they's have found me too much of a challenge and have to reject me, so I didn't apply. I often wish I had now, because I could always have just mimed along to it.

0061 I hope you have a good GNR, and don't have too much hassle getting to and from the event (I always found that to be the worst part of the whole day). Thanks for the info re the 5k app, which I hadn't heard about. Parkrun have too much influence.

HS Well done for your recent forest runs. I see you mentioned that the leaves haven't started to turn yet. It's felt like autumn here the last few days with some very misty weather earlier in the week and rain all day today. The temperature has dropped considerably too. It certainly feels like a change is in the air. I hate it when supermarkets re-arrange things. I'm a creature of habit and even small changes like that annoy me. I don't want to spend ages looking for things that have been moved, although at the moment that is happening in our local Tesco - too make room for Christmas things! We haven't even got Halloween and Guy Fawkes out of the way yet!

A couple of good physio sessions this week. One on my shoulder, which seems to have a lot more movement in it now. In addition to the work on my shoulder tendons I had some further cranial manipulation which, rather weirdly, freed up a lot more movement in my neck. The following day I had a "legs session" with work on my quads and hip flexors to ease the discomfort I've been getting in my knees while running. I now have my right knee strapped (temporarily) to help with alignment. Steve and I have a mile race tomorrow night so I hope the strapping will help rather than hinder. I'll report back...
5 Sep
10:23pm, 5 Sep 2024
256 posts
  •  
OO61
Might see younin Blyth Aquarius 👍
6 Sep
4:13pm, 6 Sep 2024
15,848 posts
  •  
hillstrider
Aquarius, I think that once you have hit the send button, there is no way of editing it. On RW we were able to edit a post within an hour, or it may have been two, I can't quite remember.

The weather had been very depressing here, dull and wet. I ran 4 miles on roads yesterday in the rain 🌧

It was even worse in Tesco this morning,; more drastic rearrangements. Worse of all, they have erected fencing round the perimeter of the car park, so there is only one entrance now for pedestrians. This means walking right round to the top end.

Good to hear that you have had a couple of good physio sessions,

Good luck with this evenings mile race with Steve, and I hope that the strapping on your right knee will help.

The usual Friday Farmers Walk this morning, which was further than usual, having to leave by the only exit/entry previously mentioned 😡

We are doing the Winchester parkrun tomorrow, which is stated to be fast and flat. I've heard that one before 😂
7 Sep
12:34pm, 7 Sep 2024
260 posts
  •  
OO61
Hope parkrun went well hillstrider.
I skipped the Blyth Mile Aquarius, decided to play safe with GNR tomorrow
7 Sep
2:49pm, 7 Sep 2024
15,854 posts
  •  
hillstrider
0061, thanks, it went really well, see below.

A good decision to miss the Blyth mile. Best of luck with tomorrow's GNR.

The Winchester parkrun had 429 runners, and I came 264th, and first MV75-80 out of 2. I ran 28.58 a WAVA of 69.29%
7 Sep
2:50pm, 7 Sep 2024
15,855 posts
  •  
hillstrider
7 Sep
5:29pm, 7 Sep 2024
34 posts
  •  
Aquarius
Great running HS and nice photo.

You were probably wise to give Blyth a miss 0061, it was rotten conditions. Very misty with the wind in our faces until the bandstand turn. We stayed for the presentations as Steve knew he’d won his age group (he was the only one in it :) ) I couldn’t improve on my time (and there was one other lady in my age category who was over a minute faster than me so I knew she had won our category) but Steve managed to improve on his previous time by a minute, so was very happy. It was our wedding anniversary too, so we stayed over at the Premier Inn and went for a meal along the road . This morning we did the parkrun since it was just outside the PI, but after his exertions last night Steve had to walk a bit, so we recorded our slowest time, but still enjoyed it, despite the thick mist. Over 600 took part, quite a few being visitors, as they’d come for tomorrow’s GNR.
I hope the weather is better for you tomorrow, although I believe rain is forecast. Good luck.
8 Sep
10:49am, 8 Sep 2024
35 posts
  •  
Aquarius
Another very misty day today, I've been out for my 5 mile run on my Garmin plan, and now settling down now to watch the GNR (and track our son on the GNR app). I've just watched the start of the elite ladies race and noticed one of our club runners amongst the elites.
8 Sep
3:48pm, 8 Sep 2024
15,867 posts
  •  
hillstrider
Aquarius, well done for Steve beating his previous 1 mile time by a minute. Congratulations for your wedding anniversary ❤️

I'm glad that you both enjoyed yesterday's parkrun despite the thick mist.

Well done for getting out for a 5 mile run before settling down to watch the GNR.

I ran a very hilly solo 10k on roads this morning, just missing the starts of the elite men's and women's races.
8 Sep
3:51pm, 8 Sep 2024
15,868 posts
  •  
hillstrider

About This Thread

Maintained by WtnMel
With the demise of the RW forums, several of us who used to chat on the 'Mature Runners' thread have been made homeless (I posted on it even though I am no longer a runner!). I have created this thread so we can continue chatting and I hope the others will find their way here ..