The Doctor K Cup

98 watchers
The seventh annual Doctor K Cup will take place on Saturday October 19th 2024

How to join in

Firstly, add the 2024 Doctor K Cup to your Fetch portfolio.

All you need is a GPS watch or app. On the day, RUN AT LEAST 5K WITHOUT LOOKING AT YOUR WATCH. The Fetch Benchmark system will pull out your fastest 5k from your run (so you can include it as part of your long run if you like). The person who gets closest to their prediction will be declared the winner (though the judges decision is final!).

It would be lovely if you could upload your 'K' pics to the gallery (make a K shape with your fingers) to help us remember Doctor K and all the Fetchies we have lost.

NB A GPS watch reporting 5.00km will do so from 4995 metres onwards, but you MUST run at least 5000 metres or more. To avoid disappointment add an extra 10 seconds on to the end of your run, just to make sure.

19 Oct
12:19pm, 19 Oct 2024
23,696 posts
  •  
57.5 Degrees of Pain
Can I borrow one of your spare Ks @XB ?

I was a bit slower than my optimistic target, but still a post illness PB. Hoping the actual time comes through soon.
19 Oct
12:22pm, 19 Oct 2024
27,572 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
Looks like I was about 16s out. I was timekeeping today and running the four miles there and back, so assume fetch will work out the fastest 5k from two c4 mile runs.
19 Oct
12:53pm, 19 Oct 2024
50,051 posts
  •  
DocM
messed up and forgot to put a predicted time up....duh
but did reflect on the loss of Dr K and many other lovely Fetchies
19 Oct
12:54pm, 19 Oct 2024
50,052 posts
  •  
DocM
thats a very wet K
19 Oct
12:57pm, 19 Oct 2024
28,177 posts
  •  
Dvorak
15s out. I adjusted my predicted time down yesterday by about 90s, but whilst I ran I felt like I'd be closer to the previous time.

And, as I was away, I met some recently lesser-seen Fetchies, including one who walked with her new baby (twelve weeks old.)
19 Oct
1:25pm, 19 Oct 2024
8,362 posts
  •  
Winniefree
Still can’t quite get the hang of the K but I tried :-)

Woefully underestimated the amount of time I would be standing about waiting for Mr W to catch up. I made him run hills today.
I did have a fanciful thought though that anyone looking down on earth today might be able to see a set of tiny red and yellow twinkly beacons, going to and fro and all adding to the grand total of miles run in honour of our much missed Fetchies.
19 Oct
1:34pm, 19 Oct 2024
70,455 posts
  •  
LindsD
That's nice WF

I was way out too
19 Oct
1:39pm, 19 Oct 2024
34,579 posts
  •  
HellsBells
I for my K too. I was pleasantly surprised to be 30sec quicker than I had predicted.
19 Oct
1:46pm, 19 Oct 2024
15,077 posts
  •  
hellen
Forgot the photo! I was some way off as I did my prediction a few days ago. I realised my recovery from the half last week had been slow so was going to change prediction then thought lets keep it the same as it might force me to work harder! It was quite hard not to look at my watch.
19 Oct
1:52pm, 19 Oct 2024
9,189 posts
  •  
westmoors

Official parkrun time is 47s slower than my prediction. However, it always measures long and the 5k benchmark from the run is only 1s out!

About This Thread

Maintained by Joopsy
2024 Instructions

Add the following race to your portfolio:

fetcheveryone.com/races/the-doctor-k-cup-10329609

Enter your predicted time by October 18th (the day before the run).

On the 19th October, run at least 5k WITHOUT LOOKING AT YOUR WATCH OR GETTING ANY PACING HELP!!!

RESULTS WILL BE POSTED HERE:

fetcheveryone.com/doctorkcup.php

Fetch will extract the results by looking at your benchmarks for 5k (so for your own sake, avoid tunnels, tall buildings, heavy tree cover, pylons etc). If you are running a local 5k loop, please add a bit on, just to make sure that your watch registers at least 5k's worth of data. But no peeking!

The person who is closest to their predicted time will win the 'Doctor K Cup' for one year.

NB Doctor K was a big parkrun fan - so you can do your run at parkrun, but ***PLEASE*** make sure you cover at least 5000 metres. A GPS watch reporting 5.00km will do so from 4995 metres onwards, but you MUST run at least 5000 metres or more. To avoid disappointment add an extra 10 seconds on to the end of your run, just to make sure.