The New Normal - What do you see that is becoming the New Normal?

1 lurker | 38 watchers
JR
May 2020
12:20pm, 2 May 2020
170 posts
  •  
JR
run free - I really hope so.

I have bigger concerns ref a cashless society but that’s best saved for the politics thread! :)
May 2020
12:28pm, 2 May 2020
30,048 posts
  •  
LazyDaisy
I hope people *will* still travel for leisure, as I do believe in the old saying that travel broadens the mind. What may lose out, I fear, is the the push to make travel greener - if fewer people are travelling, do the financial costs of developing better engines etc make sense for companies? :-(
May 2020
2:20pm, 2 May 2020
16,667 posts
  •  
GimmeMedals
Maybe fewer people going to the GP but having consultations remotely.

I'll be home baking instead of buying cakes and biscuits. And buying flour, eggs and yeast every time I see them just in case....I'm having to stop myself at the moment as I've got sufficient in and need to keep reminding myself of that.

There may be some long term changes to national testing in primary schools and the measures used to judge if schools are good enough - maybe including how well schools support families (not just the pupils) with mental health and home learning. There will be some new hoops to jump through no doubt.
May 2020
2:29pm, 2 May 2020
2,261 posts
  •  
Trin
A&E will be less busy, and the staff more appreciated
May 2020
3:44pm, 2 May 2020
2,321 posts
  •  
Pothunter
I do hope that’s the case Trin. So long as the bureaucrats don’t see lower numbers as a cue to reducing the service...
May 2020
12:38am, 3 May 2020
3,993 posts
  •  
run free
JR am also concerned about the cashless society as see more people spending beyond their means and hence more mental issues. I like to use cash as it enables me to take an amount out each week and am only allowed to spend that and no more. This has enabled me to save and helped me pay my mortgage. With the cashless society am a bit sloppy with logging my expenses.
May 2020
10:53am, 3 May 2020
63,209 posts
  •  
swittle
Having posted this article about UK betting firms cutting ads during the emergency, I think it'd sit equally well here:

theguardian.com
May 2020
10:26pm, 3 May 2020
26,499 posts
  •  
Wriggling Snake
A&E visits already going back.up...so nope to that.
May 2020
11:43pm, 3 May 2020
17,494 posts
  •  
Chrisity
Some people will work from home as the norm, going in to work will be maybe once a week.
May 2020
12:01am, 4 May 2020
640 posts
  •  
tonyp2604
Hopefully, less unnecessary commuting.

About This Thread

Maintained by run free
What do you predict will be the New Normal?

What are you seeing now as the New Normal?

Govt Guidelines on rebuilding and normalising Covid by restructuring: gov.uk