Politics

17 lurkers | 215 watchers
16 Sep
3:08pm, 16 Sep 2024
4,511 posts
  •  
Cheg
Interim has done well to duck one there.
16 Sep
3:14pm, 16 Sep 2024
50,946 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
So Huw Edwards, 6 month suspended sentence for paying for and distributing images of child sexual exploitation. Too much, too little, too late? For me, that is unduly lenient. Every image is of a child being abused and the consumer and funder of the abuse is an essential and guilty part of the chain. Should have got jail time? What are the sentencing guidelines on this offence, does anyone know.

I note that the person who provided and was paid for the images got a 12 month suspended sentence. So it's not just the "famous" person who got off too lightly. I'm not just having a go at celeb.
16 Sep
3:17pm, 16 Sep 2024
6,457 posts
  •  
paulcook
Not excusing anything. Though I see it (Edwards' today) was in a magistrates court, so the longest sentence they could hand down is in fact 6 months.
16 Sep
3:21pm, 16 Sep 2024
29,281 posts
  •  
richmac
I believe we have a contributer to this thread who's better placed than me to comment on sentencing guidlines.

The trap you've fallen into though is looking only at the consequence of not complying the actual sentence is :

"He will be on the sex offenders' register for seven years, and will have to complete rehabilitation"

That's a cut n paste from the BBC, not only will re offending get him carted off by G4S but also failing to comply with his (un)lucky probation officer.
16 Sep
3:26pm, 16 Sep 2024
25,615 posts
  •  
larkim
Twitter's thesecretbarrister has unpacked the sentencing approach and guidelines here. A useful read.
jda
16 Sep
4:09pm, 16 Sep 2024
17,812 posts
  •  
jda
I don't think he did any distributing, his crime was being sent illegal pictures having said he didn't want any wasn't it?
16 Sep
4:22pm, 16 Sep 2024
19,146 posts
  •  
JamieKai *chameleon*
paulcook wrote:Not excusing anything. Though I see it (Edwards' today) was in a magistrates court, so the longest sentence they could hand down is in fact 6 months.

Up to 12 months now I believe since the PCSC Act a few years back.

I'm a little away from practice at the moment, but the sentence seems fairly normal for the offence(s) from what I've heard. Imagine he'll comply with Probation and have the Programme delivered 1:1, his presence in a group would probably be quite disruptive.

Being on the register will have the longer impact on his life and liberty.
16 Sep
4:25pm, 16 Sep 2024
29,283 posts
  •  
richmac
^ I was thinking much the same.
16 Sep
4:30pm, 16 Sep 2024
25,616 posts
  •  
larkim
Grossly unfair, but I sometimes think that the justice system would benefit from high profile figures actually receiving harsher sentences than the "book" would suggest, because the impact of those sentences might have a beneficial deterrent effect. But perhaps that thought is only in my mind because of the current climate of Xwitter etc where HE's sentence is being derided in the usual uninformed pile-on because the Xtitterati assumed probably that he'd be sentenced for 20+ years or something equally unlikely.
16 Sep
4:55pm, 16 Sep 2024
50,950 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Not sure if I'm being included in the criticism of ignorance above, but yes, I confess to ignorance on the "normal" sentence for child abuse images. I would have thought longer sentence e.g. 2 years or more and higher chance of jail, not suspended.

Receiving, not distributing, yes, also a mistake in my wording. Like that's so much better? And if he paid money to the person who provided them how could he claim he didn't "want" them? But no, I also haven't read any details of the case, so yes, ignorant in that regard too. Just all feels wrong.

About This Thread

Maintained by Chrisull
Name-calling will be called out, and Ad hominem will be frowned upon. :-) And whatabout-ery sits somewhere above responding to tone and below contradiction.

*** Last poll winner

121 - Congrats to kstuart who predicted 121

*** Next poll will be along soon....

HappyG 270
Fenners Reborn 266
Jda 250
GeneHunt 205
Larkim 191
Mushroom 185
Bazoaxe 180
JamieKai 177
Cheg 171
Yakima Canutt 165
Chrisull 155
NDWDave 147
Macca53 138
JB 135
Derby Tup 133
Little Nemo 130
Big G 128
Kstuart 121
LindsD 120
Diogenes 117
Fields 111
B Rubble 110
Mrs Shanksi 103
J2r 101
Richmac 101
rf_fuzzy 100 (+15/-15)
simbil 99
DaveW 95
Paulcook 88
Fetch 85
Bob 72
Weean 69 and 2/3
Pothunter 50

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.