Politics

5 lurkers | 215 watchers
11 Sep
12:49am, 11 Sep 2024
19,127 posts
  •  
JamieKai *chameleon*
Pothunter wrote:Jeez, the inability of people on this thread to have a rational debate is starting to grate. I don’t recall much recently where anyone has conceded even a minor point that someone else has made. I haven’t kittened anyone because even though I don’t agree with everyone, I find it interesting to hear views that contradict my own. This gives me cause to examine my own thinking and has honestly opened my mind in a lot of cases for which I am grateful. But the constant sniping needs to stop. This has become a distinctly unpleasant corner of the otherwise wonderfully supportive community that is Fetcheveryone.

Good post. When I first started coming here there was a lot that made me think, but in recent times there's too much name calling, sniping, and "I know better than you", and debate and discussion gets lost. I have a couple kittened here (granted, one has not been here for some time), and it does dull the noise a little, although means the thread of what's going on can become lost.
11 Sep
3:50am, 11 Sep 2024
27,373 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
Fozzy you are lucky having £20k to put in an ISA. Did you consider putting it in a pension and getting 20% tax added?
11 Sep
6:03am, 11 Sep 2024
33,072 posts
  •  
Johnny Blaze
Looks like a good old one-two from Ksmala and Taylor last night. I approve of those messages.
11 Sep
6:06am, 11 Sep 2024
21,985 posts
  •  
Dave W
Taylor Swift endorses Kamala Harris for president in post signed ‘childless cat lady’

Nicely done. And bizarre as it sounds, this might just swing it for Harris. I do hope so.
11 Sep
7:07am, 11 Sep 2024
9,410 posts
  •  
Pothunter
IR35 has closed many of the loopholes that used to exist re setting up a ltd company and employing yourself.

One of the key offsets though is if you go down this route you are employed by your company and not by the client(s) to whom you are selling your services. That means you lose all the employment benefits like sick pay, maternity/paternity leave, redundancy protection, holiday entitlements, pension contributions, etc. (or at least your client doesn’t provide them to you, you can obviously take time off but you won’t be able to bill for that time). If the client decides they no longer want/need your services it is a lot easier for them to terminate the contract than to get rid of an employee.
11 Sep
7:38am, 11 Sep 2024
33,073 posts
  •  
Johnny Blaze
Yes, I agree. It isn't all roses working for yourself. It's swings and roundabouts.
11 Sep
210 posts
  •  
Yakima Canutt
Agreed Pothunter but also there is substantial tax saving (13% Employers NIC that usually finds it's way into the contractors higher rates) plus the contractor can massage their tax rate by mixing pay and dividends and pay spouse and family members to lick envelops for a low salary to use tax free bandings.

In many industries contractors are.much like employees. They come to the Xmas parties, and informally they get the benefits which you correctly note are technically not due. And they almost always get paid overtime.

I look on jealously at the IR35 compliant (fingers crossed) staff (pups sorry contractors) in companies I've been around.
11 Sep
211 posts
  •  
Yakima Canutt
Trump didn't do well last night.

Sad.
11 Sep
7:46am, 11 Sep 2024
33,074 posts
  •  
Johnny Blaze
Yes. Some considerable upsides mixed with downsides a lot of people wouldn't want to live with.
11 Sep
8:17am, 11 Sep 2024
9,908 posts
  •  
simbil
Good to hear Harris did well last night and loving the Swifty endorsement - a nice duo of powerful women calling time on Trump.

About This Thread

Maintained by Chrisull
Name-calling will be called out, and Ad hominem will be frowned upon. :-) And whatabout-ery sits somewhere above responding to tone and below contradiction.

*** Last poll winner

121 - Congrats to kstuart who predicted 121

*** Next poll will be along soon....

HappyG 270
Fenners Reborn 266
Jda 250
GeneHunt 205
Larkim 191
Mushroom 185
Bazoaxe 180
JamieKai 177
Cheg 171
Yakima Canutt 165
Chrisull 155
NDWDave 147
Macca53 138
JB 135
Derby Tup 133
Little Nemo 130
Big G 128
Kstuart 121
LindsD 120
Diogenes 117
Fields 111
B Rubble 110
Mrs Shanksi 103
J2r 101
Richmac 101
rf_fuzzy 100 (+15/-15)
simbil 99
DaveW 95
Paulcook 88
Fetch 85
Bob 72
Weean 69 and 2/3
Pothunter 50

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.