Politics

4 lurkers | 215 watchers
10 Sep
7:30pm, 10 Sep 2024
25,546 posts
  •  
larkim
rf_fozzy wrote:larkim wrote:The tax relief claim for charities doesn't have to go to the charity. Under gift aid it does, but if you make the claim for relief on your self assessment form it would come back to you. And if you are a higher rate tax paying you could claim more. What tax return? Again most people are PAYE! I have no direct interaction with HMRC at all. These are things that most people don't do.

That's true (I don't do a tax return either fyi, though these days if I needed to it's a 10 minute job on a website).

Thinking about it, I also get tax relief on my annual professional subscription, but I get that via PAYE after a phone call with HMRC.

You should get over that mentality though that tax returns aren't for "most people". They are so simple to navigate these days that you really don't need extra help with them (unlike the good old days when it was something that made money for accountants). Obvs if affairs are complex then tax returns can be complex too.
10 Sep
7:39pm, 10 Sep 2024
23,001 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
The vast majority of people are PAYE. So yes, I do think tax returns are not for most people... Because most people don't do one.

Even if I did do one out of choice (not sure I am allowed?), as discussed there's no benefit, so the time taken (~hours) outweighs any likely benefits.

It might take an accountant 10mins, but given my recent experience with applying for letters of administration and trying to understand IHT, it's likely to take a "normal" person like me many many hours.

At which point I'd have better off staying with PAYE.
10 Sep
7:42pm, 10 Sep 2024
23,002 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
I would like to thank you all for your engagement though, because it shows that all these loopholes really are only open to wealthier individuals and those willing to set up dodgy, morally dubious, schemes.

Can we therefore not simply agree that these (legal) avoidance mechanisms could be scrapped to raise more tax?
10 Sep
7:57pm, 10 Sep 2024
4,485 posts
  •  
Cheg
Fozzy you are so narrow minded. It’s all about its applicability to you. 12m tax returns is a lot. Is that uk? A population of what 70m? We talking 60m adults? 1 in 5 it’s not small fry is it.

I’m PAYE as is my wife. There isn’t a huge amount of clever stuff we can do. It’s fluffing around the edges really. But there aresome options as others have stated.

Money comes to money. You need money to make stuff happen. That’s life. We can fight certain aspects of it. But this is Brexit unicorn stuff if you think the whole systems going to get overhauled. It isn’t, work within the system. Fight back Fields style if you like, but lots of it is just old man shouting at birds or whatever the saying is.
10 Sep
8:11pm, 10 Sep 2024
23,003 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
Yes, it is about applicability to me. Because my tax affairs are broadly similar to most people's.

I don't get why you think it's ok for wealthy people to avoid paying tax because they have access to schemes that most people don't.
10 Sep
8:30pm, 10 Sep 2024
11,614 posts
  •  
Fields
The idea that any but a small amount of people can spare £20k per year to put into an ISA is ludicrous

Most people haven’t got any savings full stop let alone can save £20k per year
10 Sep
8:32pm, 10 Sep 2024
6,404 posts
  •  
paulcook
Fields wrote:As JC said today, what’s next for means testing? The NHS. No doubt you liberals will find a way to defend that.

Does feel like it's coming.
10 Sep
8:36pm, 10 Sep 2024
23,004 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
paulcook wrote:Fields wrote:As JC said today, what’s next for means testing? The NHS. No doubt you liberals will find a way to defend that. Does feel like it's coming.

Utter rubbish

Noone anywhere has suggested means testing healthcare.

Only in the feverish dreams of the far left and far right is this a thing.
10 Sep
8:49pm, 10 Sep 2024
11,615 posts
  •  
Fields
They probably said that about the winter fuel payment a few months ago too
10 Sep
8:49pm, 10 Sep 2024
11,616 posts
  •  
Fields
Streeting is in bed with the private health care lobby

About This Thread

Maintained by Chrisull
Name-calling will be called out, and Ad hominem will be frowned upon. :-) And whatabout-ery sits somewhere above responding to tone and below contradiction.

*** Last poll winner

121 - Congrats to kstuart who predicted 121

*** Next poll will be along soon....

HappyG 270
Fenners Reborn 266
Jda 250
GeneHunt 205
Larkim 191
Mushroom 185
Bazoaxe 180
JamieKai 177
Cheg 171
Yakima Canutt 165
Chrisull 155
NDWDave 147
Macca53 138
JB 135
Derby Tup 133
Little Nemo 130
Big G 128
Kstuart 121
LindsD 120
Diogenes 117
Fields 111
B Rubble 110
Mrs Shanksi 103
J2r 101
Richmac 101
rf_fuzzy 100 (+15/-15)
simbil 99
DaveW 95
Paulcook 88
Fetch 85
Bob 72
Weean 69 and 2/3
Pothunter 50

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.