Politics

3 lurkers | 215 watchers
6 Sep
9:26am, 6 Sep 2024
6,363 posts
  •  
paulcook
Johnny Blaze wrote:I think it will take an exceptional leader to get them back to electability with one hand whilst luring Farage voters back with the other. Can't see it being one of the current crop. The Tories went through 3 leaders before settling on Cameron and even he didn't exactly sweep the board. It may take them a few iterations yet, assuming Labour don't balls it up completely.

If they balls it up too much, perhaps Farage becomes yet more of a plausibility. 😨
6 Sep
9:31am, 6 Sep 2024
33,052 posts
  •  
Johnny Blaze
I don't think there are too many exceptional political talents around at the moment but I have high hopes for Bridget Phillipson. I'm hoping Labour will develop quite a deep bench over the next few years whereas the Tories don't really have much to work with following the election.
6 Sep
9:35am, 6 Sep 2024
33,053 posts
  •  
Johnny Blaze
335 new MPs, of which only 26 are Tories.

Oh dear. Oh dear oh dear.
6 Sep
9:43am, 6 Sep 2024
21,872 posts
  •  
Dave W
How sad. Never mind.
6 Sep
9:46am, 6 Sep 2024
25,519 posts
  •  
larkim
Fields wrote:If you think that reduced pensions would mean public sector salaries increase with the savings made you’re either naive, a fool or a troll I know you’re not a fool or naive larkim, and given calling cheg thick got me banned by the powers that be I shan’t be calling them one either

Given I work in finance leadership, I'd like to think that I am neither a fool or a troll on this subject. I can hand on heart say that if we had the choice not to participate in the mandatory DB pension schemes that we operate, we would immediately rebalance the pay / pension cost piece. I can't speak for other organisations, but I can speak for mine.
SPR
6 Sep
9:48am, 6 Sep 2024
45,962 posts
  •  
SPR
Generally it seems dissatisfaction with the incumbent is what leads to people looking for a change and I'm not sure how 'logical' that change choice needs to be
6 Sep
10:00am, 6 Sep 2024
27,362 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
larkim wrote:Fields wrote:If you think that reduced pensions would mean public sector salaries increase with the savings made you’re either naive, a fool or a troll I know you’re not a fool or naive larkim, and given calling cheg thick got me banned by the powers that be I shan’t be calling them one either Given I work in finance leadership, I'd like to think that I am neither a fool or a troll on this subject. I can hand on heart say that if we had the choice not to participate in the mandatory DB pension schemes that we operate, we would immediately rebalance the pay / pension cost piece. I can't speak for other organisations, but I can speak for mine.

Any replacement for a DB will not be like for like. I understand when our Db was open the employer contribution was close to 30%

When we went to DC there was no salary change and we get 16% plus a matching 2% and a 10% uplift on anything we put in which is very good but nowhere near dB levels.
J2R
6 Sep
10:59am, 6 Sep 2024
5,601 posts
  •  
J2R
I was disappointed in the general election that the Conservatives didn't suffer the full Canada '93 wipeout they so richly deserved. I'm wondering now, though, whether what actually happened may mean they remain out of power for longer. They can still cling on to the illusion that it was just a failure to communicate properly and they just need to be a bit more obviously right wing and the votes will come back to them. So they go on to elect someone who has zero chance of becoming PM (such as Jenrick), who will keep them in the doldrums for another electoral cycle. A full wipeout would likely have meant a root and branch overhaul and possibly a more realistic appraisal of why they lost so badly, with more of a chance to do something about it and bounce back.
6 Sep
11:13am, 6 Sep 2024
7,676 posts
  •  
ThorntonRunner
I can't hear Jenrick's name mentioned without recalling that it was he who ordered the painting over of cartoon murals in a reception centre for unaccompanied child migrants - because they were too welcoming.
Acting in that way towards traumatised children is in my view child abuse - I have nothing but contempt for him
J2R
6 Sep
11:21am, 6 Sep 2024
5,602 posts
  •  
J2R
ThorntonRunner, yes, and I can't see that story going away for a long time if he does become leader. Come the next election, Labour will be reminding people of it. Of course, for a certain sector of the population, this kind of performative cruelty is actually a vote winner, but I like to think that's a reasonably small minority.

About This Thread

Maintained by Chrisull
Name-calling will be called out, and Ad hominem will be frowned upon. :-) And whatabout-ery sits somewhere above responding to tone and below contradiction.

*** Last poll winner

121 - Congrats to kstuart who predicted 121

*** Next poll will be along soon....

HappyG 270
Fenners Reborn 266
Jda 250
GeneHunt 205
Larkim 191
Mushroom 185
Bazoaxe 180
JamieKai 177
Cheg 171
Yakima Canutt 165
Chrisull 155
NDWDave 147
Macca53 138
JB 135
Derby Tup 133
Little Nemo 130
Big G 128
Kstuart 121
LindsD 120
Diogenes 117
Fields 111
B Rubble 110
Mrs Shanksi 103
J2r 101
Richmac 101
rf_fuzzy 100 (+15/-15)
simbil 99
DaveW 95
Paulcook 88
Fetch 85
Bob 72
Weean 69 and 2/3
Pothunter 50

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.