Politics

14 lurkers | 215 watchers
5 Sep
1:11pm, 5 Sep 2024
22,085 posts
  •  
Chrisull
Guys - before fetch wades in, less of the insults please!

fields - politically I may agree with you, but I think cheg was articulating how the schemes work and I didn't take see him particularly advocating one way or another. I'm in total agreement with him that schemes need to change. We might differ in how we'd like to see it achieved, but that is a separate discussion.

It has been up until a couple of pages ago, an interesting and informed debate, and the figures are useful to see.
jda
5 Sep
1:14pm, 5 Sep 2024
17,744 posts
  •  
jda
I'm not sure whether private school teachers would expect to be paid more, they may be attracted by the prospect of better motivated and behaved pupils, better working conditions in other ways, less governmental bureaucracy to put up with. That might be worth a salary cut!

(Not that all state vs independent sector is like that, but some may be.)
5 Sep
1:14pm, 5 Sep 2024
33,041 posts
  •  
Johnny Blaze
Pensions are a hellishly complex beast and any attempt to rebalance/reform them would require a massive fact base to draw from and analyse, and I bet the scope creep of any investigation would become huge. Cherrypicking a few links off the internet which align with one's debating points and prior assumptions hardly fits the bill. Best not to let one's own experience - good or bad - direct one to an overarching conclusion on what needs doing. It's a bit more complicated than that.
jda
5 Sep
1:20pm, 5 Sep 2024
17,745 posts
  •  
jda
What is not in doubt is that any sustainable system where people get about 20 years of retirement based on roughly 40 years as a working adult is either going to require big contributions over the 40 years or a small pension over the 20.
5 Sep
1:24pm, 5 Sep 2024
33,042 posts
  •  
Johnny Blaze
Find the data
Process the data
Generate ideas
Test solutions

Vs:

My pension is shit but her pension over there is better than mine, which doesn't seem fair, so here's my idea of why it's all wrong.
5 Sep
2:07pm, 5 Sep 2024
22,960 posts
  •  
DeeGee
"I can't afford everything I want, while that one over there's deferring his salary so he can live like me after I've spent what's in the pot, that one's being paid well for doing a job where hundreds could die with one error, and that one over there's staying in a four star Holiday Inn Express after doing nothing but travel thousands of miles and crossing a major shipping channel in a rubber boat because he's scared of the bombs we've sold."

Something like that?
5 Sep
2:44pm, 5 Sep 2024
50,843 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
I was a private school pupil (from council house with free school place) who did my best to make teachers' lives hell. You're welcome (to anyone who thinks private school teachers have a cushy life!) Tongue firmly in cheek btw.

Is Fields catching up for lost ranting time while banned?!

Fields, I agree, everyone should have decent pensions. But... do you agree / recognise that the economic model bases on Never-ending growth from 60s/70s doesn't exist anymore?

I agree thought that reducing exec pay and bonuses and shareholder stripping of assets should be included in the economic calculations.

:-) G
5 Sep
2:52pm, 5 Sep 2024
50,844 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Good news that Lavour are looking at scrapping hereditary peerages.

bbc.co.uk

The sooner the better imho. :-) G
5 Sep
3:38pm, 5 Sep 2024
6,356 posts
  •  
paulcook
HappyG(rrr) wrote:Fields, I agree, everyone should have decent pensions. But... do you agree / recognise that the economic model bases on Never-ending growth from 60s/70s doesn't exist anymore? I agree thought that reducing exec pay and bonuses and shareholder stripping of assets should be included in the economic calculations. G

Think I lie somewhere between you and Fields. I'd certainly prefer to hear of arguments to make equitable conditions upwards rather than downwards which so many places get fooled into discussing.

And while I agree with you about having some economic common sense, it’s funny (well not literally) to see some of the things we can always find the money to fund.
5 Sep
3:38pm, 5 Sep 2024
33,043 posts
  •  
Johnny Blaze
Well, strictly speaking they aren't. They are just kicking them out of the House of Lords. (Pedantic moi.)

The common folk can carry on doffing their caps and tugging their forelocks regardless, thank Gawd.

Fun facts: the first Parliament was in the 13th century.

No woman sat in the House of Lords until...

These are just the kind of people who can drag us kicking and screaming into the 18th century.

About This Thread

Maintained by Chrisull
Name-calling will be called out, and Ad hominem will be frowned upon. :-) And whatabout-ery sits somewhere above responding to tone and below contradiction.

*** Last poll winner

121 - Congrats to kstuart who predicted 121

*** Next poll will be along soon....

HappyG 270
Fenners Reborn 266
Jda 250
GeneHunt 205
Larkim 191
Mushroom 185
Bazoaxe 180
JamieKai 177
Cheg 171
Yakima Canutt 165
Chrisull 155
NDWDave 147
Macca53 138
JB 135
Derby Tup 133
Little Nemo 130
Big G 128
Kstuart 121
LindsD 120
Diogenes 117
Fields 111
B Rubble 110
Mrs Shanksi 103
J2r 101
Richmac 101
rf_fuzzy 100 (+15/-15)
simbil 99
DaveW 95
Paulcook 88
Fetch 85
Bob 72
Weean 69 and 2/3
Pothunter 50

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.