Politics

2 lurkers | 215 watchers
3 Sep
6:40pm, 3 Sep 2024
7,670 posts
  •  
ThorntonRunner
That asdault/murder was about a quarter of a mile from my home parkrun venue :( .
Absolutely horrendous
3 Sep
6:52pm, 3 Sep 2024
29,158 posts
  •  
richmac
What's the feeling in the community TR
3 Sep
7:30pm, 3 Sep 2024
7,671 posts
  •  
ThorntonRunner
I live 6 or 7 miles away so too far away to know. There is Braunstone Town and Braunstone estate which run into each other. The former has always sought to distance itself from the latter which has a bad reputation in the city for ASB, I suppose it might be considered a sink council estate, and certainly there was one week where we had to avoid a couple of burnt out cars on the parkrun route. But that was a one off several years ago, and there are many decent people and work to develop community spirit in the area. The vast majority of people in the area will be as horrified as we are, but for many it won't be a surprise if the culprits are identified as coming from the estate
3 Sep
8:16pm, 3 Sep 2024
27,343 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
Fields wrote:Would be a real problem for me personally. Why go after wealthy people when you can just increase an unavoidable tax that disproportionately affects the poor? Are they going after the £2 bus fare? That would be a huge problem for me also.

I forget if it was you, fozzy or jda who pulled me up for questioning a tax that may impact me. Maybe you all did.

I have mixed feelings on council tax. I don’t mind paying it, but think it might be better being incorporated in income tax. However I know I pay a lot and a lot more than people with smaller properties. The amount seems fair, and as far as I know, new builds by and large get placed in an appropriate band

I agree though that there should be a single person discount. I do still have an adult child at home who pays nothing though and we get three for the price of two. She pays nothing unless I ask her to pay a share. Potentially we should pay more for three people, but then that would be a poll tax I guess.
3 Sep
9:48pm, 3 Sep 2024
6,345 posts
  •  
paulcook
I’m completely with you on that Bazo. I implicated something similar that those with 3+ households are really the ones who benefit most.

But, I don’t want to see Labour go after either the single occupants or the multiple occupants. Like a lot of the other suggestions to reduce public spending or raise revenue it’s going after the same people to pinch a few pennies in the grand scheme of the supposed billions short in the public purse when there’s much more direct ways of getting stuff done. But I don’t see much chance of them doing that.

I potentially despair at the approach Starmer and Reeves are taking. But I’ll reserve judgment for now.
3 Sep
9:50pm, 3 Sep 2024
6,346 posts
  •  
paulcook
ThorntonRunner wrote:The former has always sought to distance itself from the latter which has a bad reputation in the city for ASB, I suppose it might be considered a sink council estate, and certainly there was one week where we had to avoid a couple of burnt out cars on the parkrun route.

I had read this wasn’t necessarily an isolated incident and even the same man has been victim of another previous attack. Though I guess every major city has areas like this.
3 Sep
10:09pm, 3 Sep 2024
7,672 posts
  •  
ThorntonRunner
I think you're right (last sentence). I was a bit twitchy about writing that in that it's easy to put everyone in the same box (oh, they're from Braunstone), when there are plenty of people there trying to make the most of their lives. Anecdotally I know that certainly at one time having an address on Cort Crescent significantly reduced your chances of getting a job, which was unfortunate and should have been unacceptable.
4 Sep
10:33am, 4 Sep 2024
22,966 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
I see pensions are going up significantly again. Which will more than offset the removal of winter fuel allowance from those who don't need it.

At some point, just like council tax being broken, someone is going to have to accept that the triple lock is unsustainable. And now unnecessary.
3M
4 Sep
11:08am, 4 Sep 2024
24,693 posts
  •  
3M
rf_fozzy wrote:I see pensions are going up significantly again. Which will more than offset the removal of winter fuel allowance from those who don't need it. At some point, just like council tax being broken, someone is going to have to accept that the triple lock is unsustainable. And now unnecessary.

I suggest it only becomes truly unncessary when the base income of a pensioner on only state pension gets to the eqiuivalent of national minimum wage. At the moment I reckon the Living (minimum!) Wage gets you £23,795 p.a., as opposed to a pension of £12,020 (I think) after the planned increase.

I don't think I'd like to try and live on only £12k.

I do think there's an argument for means testing State Pensions in some way, but it needs to reflect the fact that we shouldn't be penalising people for being foresighted enough to plan for their own later life. And that's a bit of a can of worms.
4 Sep
12:14pm, 4 Sep 2024
32,768 posts
  •  
macca 53
£150 of the £400 will be swallowed by the energy cap increase of course….

About This Thread

Maintained by Chrisull
Name-calling will be called out, and Ad hominem will be frowned upon. :-) And whatabout-ery sits somewhere above responding to tone and below contradiction.

*** Last poll winner

121 - Congrats to kstuart who predicted 121

*** Next poll will be along soon....

HappyG 270
Fenners Reborn 266
Jda 250
GeneHunt 205
Larkim 191
Mushroom 185
Bazoaxe 180
JamieKai 177
Cheg 171
Yakima Canutt 165
Chrisull 155
NDWDave 147
Macca53 138
JB 135
Derby Tup 133
Little Nemo 130
Big G 128
Kstuart 121
LindsD 120
Diogenes 117
Fields 111
B Rubble 110
Mrs Shanksi 103
J2r 101
Richmac 101
rf_fuzzy 100 (+15/-15)
simbil 99
DaveW 95
Paulcook 88
Fetch 85
Bob 72
Weean 69 and 2/3
Pothunter 50

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.