Politics

6 lurkers | 215 watchers
4 Sep
4:52pm, 4 Sep 2024
22,972 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
See whenever anyone says "Avoid" paying tax and tries to distinguish it as being different to "evading" paying tax, I want to point them in the direction of a Thesaurus.

Just pay the damn tax. Get rid of all the sodding loopholes and make it super simple.

Might put a lot of accountants out of business, but the world would be a better place.
4 Sep
5:21pm, 4 Sep 2024
4,444 posts
  •  
Cheg
Simple-ism alert.
4 Sep
5:40pm, 4 Sep 2024
205 posts
  •  
Yakima Canutt
Tax comes from transactions and as with every transaction there is a choice of equally appropriate ways to do things, each of which has a different consequences, including tax among them.

I can chose to gift an asset (shares) to my wife or my grown up son and that may save the family unit some tax if they are lower rate taxpayers and there is a dividend. Equally if my wife runs off with the postman, she has the shares and I'm screwed (as well the postman).

I can decide I want to set up a new business through a company rather than a sole trader. That means I may pay less tax or could chose to some degree how to take out extra profits in good years that can may save me some tax, but I have to disclose information to the public and I may have added benefits like some protection from creditors if things go tits up, though likely I wont as the bank will want a personal guarantee).

I could decide to give all my employees a bonus in the form of free use of the company EV charger for a year rather than the cash equivalent and they don't pay tax on that (because the law lets me do that).

Equally I could chose not to buy a TV and watch BBC on my computer and get the same benefits without having to pay a licence fee, and

I have a friend whose son is waiting to start a new job in a few months as he's finished uni. He is claiming benefit for the four or five months he has before he starts and he cant be arsed getting a summer job, but the benefit keeps him in beer vouchers and he lives with his parents.

Law is complicated, life is complicated. We consider the options and we make our choice.
4 Sep
5:41pm, 4 Sep 2024
22,973 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
Cheg wrote:Simple-ism alert.

Ha! Fair point.
4 Sep
5:42pm, 4 Sep 2024
22,974 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
"
Equally I could chose not to buy a TV and watch BBC on my computer and get the same benefits without having to pay a licence fee"

This is not true I believe now.

tvlicensing.co.uk
4 Sep
6:48pm, 4 Sep 2024
11,570 posts
  •  
Fields
Cheg wrote:Ok when I say final salary scheme, I will concede average salary. Which is still tidy. Teachers, police and doctors. I would imagine fire and nurses as well. In regards teachers you used to have 2/3rds final salary. So say £45k x 2/3 somewhere in the region of £30k salary plus your your £12k state pension. Putting into the teachers pension calculator: 40 year-old £40k salary current Working to 60. Annual Pension £20.5k Lump Sump £23k I can't quite find it, but I am sure that is index linked.

These pensions are fought for by the power of trade unions (police officers can’t join a union but they have the police federation which is the same sort of thing). In return there is low pay, some incredibly difficult working conditions and long hours.
4 Sep
6:50pm, 4 Sep 2024
11,571 posts
  •  
Fields
theguardian.com

Braverman tries to ban protest.

A legal challenge finds this is unlawful.

Labour are now appealing this legal challenge.

So vote Labour and continue to get Tory policies
4 Sep
7:35pm, 4 Sep 2024
33,037 posts
  •  
Johnny Blaze
Former cabinet minister Priti Patel has been knocked out of the Conservative leadership contest in the first round of voting by Tory MPs.

The former immigration minister Robert Jenrick topped the poll of MPs with 28 votes followed by Kemi Badenoch on 22 votes.

Third was James Cleverly with 21, fourth was Tom Tugendhat with 17, fifth was Mel Stride with 16 and last was Dame Priti on 14.

I must say this has all passed me by - bald men fighting over a comb comes to mind.
But the size of the electorate has given me a giggle or two. Schadenfreude indeed.
4 Sep
7:36pm, 4 Sep 2024
33,038 posts
  •  
Johnny Blaze
I wouldn't know who Mel Stride was if he sat on my foot.

#melforleader
4 Sep
7:43pm, 4 Sep 2024
27,350 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
You would guess patels votes ( should have left my typo that sad toes) are likely to go to badenoch. Cleverly I guess will make the top three, but who the final two are is anyone’s guess

The scottish tories are also electing a new leader. I believe they have or had a TV debate as well.

About This Thread

Maintained by Chrisull
Name-calling will be called out, and Ad hominem will be frowned upon. :-) And whatabout-ery sits somewhere above responding to tone and below contradiction.

*** Last poll winner

121 - Congrats to kstuart who predicted 121

*** Next poll will be along soon....

HappyG 270
Fenners Reborn 266
Jda 250
GeneHunt 205
Larkim 191
Mushroom 185
Bazoaxe 180
JamieKai 177
Cheg 171
Yakima Canutt 165
Chrisull 155
NDWDave 147
Macca53 138
JB 135
Derby Tup 133
Little Nemo 130
Big G 128
Kstuart 121
LindsD 120
Diogenes 117
Fields 111
B Rubble 110
Mrs Shanksi 103
J2r 101
Richmac 101
rf_fuzzy 100 (+15/-15)
simbil 99
DaveW 95
Paulcook 88
Fetch 85
Bob 72
Weean 69 and 2/3
Pothunter 50

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.