Politics

3 lurkers | 215 watchers
4 Sep
8:24pm, 4 Sep 2024
6,351 posts
  •  
paulcook
I'm the wrong person to ask, but I struggle to work out who the other 4 (+ Patel) appeal to beyond the core Conservative vote. I actually wonder if Mel Stride at least offers something different even if he's largely a no-hoper / whoishe? candidate.

I certainly think either Badenoch or Jenrick would be a 1-dimensional disaster for the Tories.
4 Sep
8:29pm, 4 Sep 2024
27,351 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
The tories did this after major as well, going through a few unelectable leaders. Labour arguably did likewise as ell at various times
4 Sep
8:32pm, 4 Sep 2024
6,352 posts
  •  
paulcook
I think then the leaders were as deep as a puddle and offered absolutely nothing against Blair.

I see this current incarnation of the Tory party as either blind or too stupid to see where they've gone wrong. And judging by certain RW media, the party members aren't too different, if not actually further to the right.
4 Sep
8:33pm, 4 Sep 2024
206 posts
  •  
Yakima Canutt
I would say that a new face was needed. Someone untainted from previous conservative governments. But theres not a lot of them about
4 Sep
8:34pm, 4 Sep 2024
27,352 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
Parties in power for too long tend to do that. I know we have some supporters on here, but plenty evidence of similar with the snp right now.
4 Sep
8:35pm, 4 Sep 2024
6,353 posts
  •  
paulcook
Yakima Canutt wrote:I would say that a new face was needed. Someone untainted from previous conservative governments. But theres not a lot of them about

Agree entirely.
4 Sep
8:39pm, 4 Sep 2024
29,172 posts
  •  
richmac
Si do I, but I'd like to see them wallow in their own shite for a couple of decades
4 Sep
9:58pm, 4 Sep 2024
21,834 posts
  •  
Dave W
Yep.
4 Sep
10:04pm, 4 Sep 2024
11,572 posts
  •  
Fields
Mel Stride has a majority of 61!

If he gets to the latter stages of the contest he could have more MPs than that supporting him
5 Sep
9:17am, 5 Sep 2024
22,959 posts
  •  
DeeGee
Fields wrote:These pensions are fought for by the power of trade unions (police officers can’t join a union but they have the police federation which is the same sort of thing). In return there is low pay, some incredibly difficult working conditions and long hours.

Indeed.

Any individual can choose to allocate any amount of their pay to a good pension, if they should so choose.

Likewise, any public sector employee can choose to opt out of superannuation, if they should so choose. However, if they do that, they do not receive the full amount of pay that they would otherwise have invested in this particular investment vehicle. A significant proportion of my salary is reserved in that it can only go into my pension - the misleadingly named "employer contribution" if you will.

That employer contribution is part of my pay, but isn't a part of my pay that I can choose to spend as I like.

Nor, unlike people working in the private sector, can I put it into a different investment vehicle that isn't variable at the whim of whichever government is in power at the time.

This "solid gold" pension that people so resent is paid for by me as a mandatory deduction from my pay.

About This Thread

Maintained by Chrisull
Name-calling will be called out, and Ad hominem will be frowned upon. :-) And whatabout-ery sits somewhere above responding to tone and below contradiction.

*** Last poll winner

121 - Congrats to kstuart who predicted 121

*** Next poll will be along soon....

HappyG 270
Fenners Reborn 266
Jda 250
GeneHunt 205
Larkim 191
Mushroom 185
Bazoaxe 180
JamieKai 177
Cheg 171
Yakima Canutt 165
Chrisull 155
NDWDave 147
Macca53 138
JB 135
Derby Tup 133
Little Nemo 130
Big G 128
Kstuart 121
LindsD 120
Diogenes 117
Fields 111
B Rubble 110
Mrs Shanksi 103
J2r 101
Richmac 101
rf_fuzzy 100 (+15/-15)
simbil 99
DaveW 95
Paulcook 88
Fetch 85
Bob 72
Weean 69 and 2/3
Pothunter 50

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.