Politics

12 lurkers | 212 watchers
30 Aug
10:09am, 30 Aug 2024
29,095 posts
  •  
richmac
I'm 100% on the ban - why should I have to sit inside a pub/bar on a nice day to avoid sitting in a cloud of a suicidal idiots toxic fumes ? or worse batshit vape stench

The Tories turned on Sunk though when he proposed it, I guess the fag companies weren't offering him enough lucre
30 Aug
10:22am, 30 Aug 2024
21,732 posts
  •  
Dave W
Ditto that re the ban. Smokers seem to think it's their God given right to pollute the air for anyone else who happens to be in their vicinity. No thought for others is usually the case.

Ban cigs completely. Now. That would get my vote.
SPR
30 Aug
10:27am, 30 Aug 2024
45,870 posts
  •  
SPR
I'm hoping JB was being sarcastic re calling the Sunak plan "cray cray". It's a sensible way of banning smoking and Labour are thinking about adding the outdoor ban to it.

As a non-smoker, I'd like to be able to go outside at entertainment venues without dealing with smoking.
30 Aug
10:28am, 30 Aug 2024
27,325 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
I tend to find most smokers are respectful now of others. Much more than they used to be pre ban. Not all mind as noted with my aeroplane experience a month or so ago.

The indoor ban was a great improvement though. The smell on your body and clothes after being in a smoky atmosphere was awful. What impact it had on your insides I don’t want to think about.
SPR
30 Aug
10:30am, 30 Aug 2024
45,871 posts
  •  
SPR
There were loads of arguments about the indoor ban when that came in as well.

There's people that describe themselves as social smokers, if they can't smoke socially, they'll probably just stop.
30 Aug
10:36am, 30 Aug 2024
22,958 posts
  •  
DeeGee
Fields wrote:All these people slagging off communism forget that there was far greater gender equality in East Germany than in West Germany as well as in the reunified German state today. ucl.ac.uk

Indeed, regardless of gender you were put to work to enable the state machine to keep rolling.

Free childcare for all, as well, to enable women to work on an equal footing.

There's some fascinating material in the DDR museum in Berlin about how East German Kindergartens were a key tool in East German social engineering.
30 Aug
10:46am, 30 Aug 2024
25,458 posts
  •  
larkim
jda wrote:She didn't quote the communist bit did she?

Yep, she did.

30 Aug
10:55am, 30 Aug 2024
29,098 posts
  •  
richmac
Let me fix that

"At first they came for the smokers (incidentally after my lot came for the refugees, disabled etc & failed but we'll gloss over that appalling record)
And no one did anything 'cos it's common fucking sense"
30 Aug
10:57am, 30 Aug 2024
32,992 posts
  •  
Johnny Blaze
Here's the thing: my mum and dad were lifelong smokers and it killed my dad and probably helped kill my mum.

I've never smoked a cigarette in my life and I hate smoking.

But I still think this creeping ban thing is a daft idea.

Just ban the fricking things and have done with it.

Truth is though, either way we are heading for organised crime and smuggling a la Prohibition era, so suck it up, folks. It ain't gonna be pretty.
30 Aug
10:58am, 30 Aug 2024
29,099 posts
  •  
richmac
Wonder how those wacky scamps in the deform party will react

About This Thread

Maintained by Chrisull
Name-calling will be called out, and Ad hominem will be frowned upon. :-) And whatabout-ery sits somewhere above responding to tone and below contradiction.

*** NEW US election PREDICTOR *** Predict:

1) Number of electoral college votes Democrats get
2) Party to win the Senate (Democrat or Republican)
3) Party to win the House (Democrat or Republican)

Do the prediction like this: 312 D D - you win if you get the first number right and no-one else does.

Johnny Blaze 360 R D
Bob 312 D D
EarlyRiser 306 R D
LindsD 298 R D
Chrisull 276 R D
Larkim 268 R R
TROSaracen 226 R R
PaulCook 0 R R

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.