Politics

15 lurkers | 212 watchers
30 Aug
12:34pm, 30 Aug 2024
4,425 posts
  •  
Cheg
Putting the two in the same conversation as justification is ridiculous.

You could say speeding if you like, but whacking together murder and smoking is ridiculous.

I don't smoke, hate the stuff. But I believe they should have the choice to smoke and kill themselves in their own homes if they so choose.

We as a society don't like murder, so we outlaw it. That isn't a stopping them have a choice argument, that's just a good public safety / stopping the world going to shit policy.
30 Aug
12:42pm, 30 Aug 2024
33,000 posts
  •  
Johnny Blaze
Full-time workers' rights to ask for a four-day working week could be strengthened under government plans to increase flexible working.

Employees would still have to work their full hours to receive their full pay but could request to compress their contracted hours into a shorter working week, as first reported by the Daily Telegraph.

Since April, workers have already had the right to ask for flexible working as soon as they start a job but firms do not have to agree.

The government says it will not impose changes on staff or businesses, but the Conservatives say businesses are "petrified" about the plans.

A spokesperson at the Department for Business and Trade said: "Any changes to employment legislation will be consulted on, working in partnership with business."

Education Minister Baroness Jacqui Smith told LBC that "flexible working is actually good for productivity".

She said the four-day week being discussed would allow someone to work 10 hours a day for four days instead of working eight hours a day for five days.

"You're still doing the same amount of work, but perhaps you're doing it in a way that enables you, for example, to need less childcare, to spend more time with your family, to do other things, that encourages more people into the workplace," she added.

Giving working people more freedom?

Tory bastards!
30 Aug
12:43pm, 30 Aug 2024
25,462 posts
  •  
larkim
Cheg wrote:hat isn't a stopping them have a choice argument, that's just a good public safety / stopping the world going to shit policy.

So is banning the consumption of an addictive hedonistic substance which causes long term health issues which cost the nation a bucket full of cash to address.

(Clearly that's an argument which works for alcohol too, and I'm not in favour of banning that. As illogical as that stance from me is)
30 Aug
12:49pm, 30 Aug 2024
27,329 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
The four day compressed week is a great idea. Mostly.

How does it work if the role needs specific days/ hours though. The security person can’t work extra meaning two are present sometimes and none at others.

I can see why some businesses will have difficulty, or all businesses with some roles.

I am just finished up for the week having agreed a 4.5 day approach, albeit I have still worked well over my contracted hours.
jda
30 Aug
12:50pm, 30 Aug 2024
17,716 posts
  •  
jda
Cheg wrote:Smoking? Murder? Get a grip. Come on. Try again with something sensible.

I thought the whole point of the slippery slope argument was the claim that moderate and reasonable positions will turn into extreme ones.
30 Aug
12:53pm, 30 Aug 2024
33,001 posts
  •  
Johnny Blaze
There are millions of people doing 2/3 day weeks already.
30 Aug
1:00pm, 30 Aug 2024
27,330 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
Johnny Blaze wrote:There are millions of people doing 2/3 day weeks already.

Not for five days pay though. Granted some of the ‘elite’ will be getting monster pay for little work.
30 Aug
1:06pm, 30 Aug 2024
33,002 posts
  •  
Johnny Blaze
I'm sure it will be attractive to lots of people.
30 Aug
1:06pm, 30 Aug 2024
4,426 posts
  •  
Cheg
jda wrote:Cheg wrote:Smoking? Murder? Get a grip. Come on. Try again with something sensible. I thought the whole point of the slippery slope argument was the claim that moderate and reasonable positions will turn into extreme ones.

The slippery slope argument is they will come for alcohol next, then fatty foods, and anything that is bad for you.

standard.co.uk

https://ash.org.uk/media-centre/news/press-releases/smoking-costs-society-17bn-5bn-more-than-previously-estimated#:~:text=Smokers%E2%80%99%20need%20for%20health%20and%20social%20care%20at,and%20a%20further%20%C2%A31.2bn%20in%20social%20care%20costs.

Alcohol harm £27.4 billion, smoking harm £17.04 billion.
SPR
30 Aug
1:14pm, 30 Aug 2024
45,874 posts
  •  
SPR
Think what I was getting at has been explained. The whole point was something that everyone thinks people shouldn't have a choice to do as choice has to be balanced against other things. Obviously @Cheg think the balance in favour of choice works for smoking, others don't.

In terms of drinking Vs smoking, not all drinking is harmful, which is different from smoking.

About This Thread

Maintained by Chrisull
Name-calling will be called out, and Ad hominem will be frowned upon. :-) And whatabout-ery sits somewhere above responding to tone and below contradiction.

*** NEW US election PREDICTOR *** Predict:

1) Number of electoral college votes Democrats get
2) Party to win the Senate (Democrat or Republican)
3) Party to win the House (Democrat or Republican)

Do the prediction like this: 312 D D - you win if you get the first number right and no-one else does.

Johnny Blaze 360 R D
Bob 312 D D
EarlyRiser 306 R D
LindsD 298 R D
Chrisull 276 R D
Larkim 268 R R
TROSaracen 226 R R
PaulCook 0 R R

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.