Politics

23 lurkers | 212 watchers
30 Aug
1:40pm, 30 Aug 2024
3,935 posts
  •  
Big_G
Don’t really want to get into the ‘not all drinking is harmful’ thing, but…
“According to the World Health Organization, there is no safe amount of alcohol consumption that doesn't affect health. The Mayo Clinic says that drinking alcohol in any amount is a health risk that increases with each drink, and the risk peaks with heavy drinking. The NHS recommends drinking no more than 14 units of alcohol per week, spread across three days or more. This is considered low-risk drinking, but there's no safe level”.

I don’t drink for personal reasons, although used to be a drinker. But I don’t think alcohol should be banned, whereas I’d be quite happy if smoking was totally banned. But I can’t explain that discrepancy in my own head! I do think if alcohol was banned there’d be riots - a casual look at the comments section on any guardian article about the benefits of giving up alcohol, and you’ll see plenty who don’t see an issue with alcohol. Going back to the first lockdown and walking down the street on the last night where we’re pubs were open, and they were heaving around here!
30 Aug
4:43pm, 30 Aug 2024
11,557 posts
  •  
Fields
DeeGee wrote:Fields wrote:All these people slagging off communism forget that there was far greater gender equality in East Germany than in West Germany as well as in the reunified German state today. ucl.ac.uk Indeed, regardless of gender you were put to work to enable the state machine to keep rolling. Free childcare for all, as well, to enable women to work on an equal footing. There's some fascinating material in the DDR museum in Berlin about how East German Kindergartens were a key tool in East German social engineering.

It’s a pity the West German state and its successor did not feel able to bring the positive aspects of life in the East into a united Germany. But i suppose a neoliberal state would have issues with equality from an ideological perspective.

Makes me wonder if Angela Merkel would have risen to be head of state had she grown up in the west. We will never know of course
30 Aug
8:52pm, 30 Aug 2024
443 posts
  •  
deslauriers
Fields wrote:DeeGee wrote:Fields wrote:All these people slagging off communism forget that there was far greater gender equality in East Germany than in West Germany as well as in the reunified German state today. ucl.ac.uk Indeed, regardless of gender you were put to work to enable the state machine to keep rolling. Free childcare for all, as well, to enable women to work on an equal footing. There's some fascinating material in the DDR museum in Berlin about how East German Kindergartens were a key tool in East German social engineering. It’s a pity the West German state and its successor did not feel able to bring the positive aspects of life in the East into a united Germany. But i suppose a neoliberal state would have issues with equality from an ideological perspective. Makes me wonder if Angela Merkel would have risen to be head of state had she grown up in the west. We will never know of course

A very hood point. The Eastern Bloc regimes also emphasised sport for all. The generation that grew up under communism has had far more sporting opportunities (local clubs covering a huge range of sports with the emphasis on participation) than subsequent generations.

Another area is general literacy and numeracy. The same generations have almost 100% literacy rates.

Not sure that makes up for the crushing of dissent and freedom, however.
30 Aug
10:14pm, 30 Aug 2024
25,467 posts
  •  
larkim
Yebbut secret police, assassinations of political opponents, etc.
30 Aug
10:22pm, 30 Aug 2024
33,003 posts
  •  
Johnny Blaze
They built a wall to keep people in, not out.
30 Aug
10:28pm, 30 Aug 2024
29,118 posts
  •  
richmac
Refusing to see past, under any circumstance, your world view, just make for great nights sleep
30 Aug
10:48pm, 30 Aug 2024
6,304 posts
  •  
paulcook
Johnny Blaze wrote:Full-time workers' rights to ask for a four-day working week could be strengthened under government plans to increase flexible working. Employees would still have to work their full hours to receive their full pay but could request to compress their contracted hours into a shorter working week, as first reported by the Daily Telegraph.

That's not a four-day working week.
30 Aug
10:50pm, 30 Aug 2024
33,004 posts
  •  
Johnny Blaze
I didn't say it was. I said it was increasing workers' freedoms.
30 Aug
10:50pm, 30 Aug 2024
21,736 posts
  •  
Dave W
And a lot of their female athletes had beards because of the performance enhancing drugs they were given.

And they shot their own citizens for trying to escape to the West.
30 Aug
11:05pm, 30 Aug 2024
29,120 posts
  •  
richmac
Dave W wrote:And a lot of their female athletes had beards because of the performance enhancing drugs they were given. And they shot their own citizens for trying to escape to the West.

Yeah, but ignore that and make out errrrr Starmer is a fascist or some shit

About This Thread

Maintained by Chrisull
Name-calling will be called out, and Ad hominem will be frowned upon. :-) And whatabout-ery sits somewhere above responding to tone and below contradiction.

*** NEW US election PREDICTOR *** Predict:

1) Number of electoral college votes Democrats get
2) Party to win the Senate (Democrat or Republican)
3) Party to win the House (Democrat or Republican)

Do the prediction like this: 312 D D - you win if you get the first number right and no-one else does.

Johnny Blaze 360 R D
Bob 312 D D
EarlyRiser 306 R D
LindsD 298 R D
Chrisull 276 R D
Larkim 268 R R
TROSaracen 226 R R
PaulCook 0 R R

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.