Politics

13 lurkers | 212 watchers
29 Aug
7:40pm, 29 Aug 2024
199 posts
  •  
Yakima Canutt
@Dave W you clearly haven't seen the financial workings of any local government or public sector organisation.
29 Aug
8:04pm, 29 Aug 2024
21,713 posts
  •  
Dave W
Nope. I haven’t.

But if everyone who has seen them still thinks that it was beyond the pale then it stinks.

And if that’s normal then its no wonder that the country is in such a shit state.
29 Aug
8:09pm, 29 Aug 2024
200 posts
  •  
Yakima Canutt
Maybe the asylum finance team at the Home Office were made up secondees from Birmingham City Council
29 Aug
8:18pm, 29 Aug 2024
32,989 posts
  •  
Johnny Blaze
I imagine a large part of the overspend is "service providers" ripping the government off a treat.

I'm sure none of them will have government "connections" - just like the Covid PPE "VIP Lane".

This one will run and run I reckon.
30 Aug
6:26am, 30 Aug 2024
21,728 posts
  •  
Dave W
The Conservative MP Esther McVey has been urged to “get a grip” after she posted a poem about the Holocaust to criticize government plans to introduce outdoor smoking bans.
McVey, the MP for Tatton and a former cabinet minister, posted on X the words of Martin Niemöller’s 1946 poem First They Came, about inaction from within Germany against the Nazis.
It includes the lines: “Then they came for the Jews. And I did not speak out.”
McVey ended her tweet: “Pertinent words re Starmer’s smoking ban.”

How did this person ever, ever, get to serve in HMG. She has the thoughtfulness and empathy of a mad dog! Equating Nazi era Germany to a smoking ban. What an idiot.
30 Aug
7:06am, 30 Aug 2024
29,092 posts
  •  
richmac
She's a cretin and cannot give up the decisive and in hinged rhetoric that saw them with out at the last election.

Make her leader.
30 Aug
7:07am, 30 Aug 2024
29,093 posts
  •  
richmac
Sorry auto correct stepped in there
30 Aug
9:28am, 30 Aug 2024
22,081 posts
  •  
Chrisull
Meanwhile the Tories batshit cheerleaders in the media continue to be batshit.

From yesterday's Torygraph: "‘Baffling’ affordable housing rules will wreck Rayner’s building plans, says Barratt executive"

Come closer dear reader, what baffling plans could they be? Ah merely that half of all new homes built have to be affordable!!

FFS anyone who knows anything about how affordable homes are calculated (80% of the market rental value, occasionally with some extra bits lopped off in very special circumstances), knows that even these "affordable" homes won't be affordable. I mean 80% of a 285,000 home (isn't that the average house price now?) is still 228,000 and a 10 percent deposit (low) would be 22,000.

Then dig deeper, and you see it's an executive for Barratts, not speaking in an official capacity. It's not even journalism, it's lets just kick Angela Rayner for the sake of it, with some manufactured quotes from a mate:

msn.com
30 Aug
9:33am, 30 Aug 2024
25,455 posts
  •  
larkim
The outdoor smoking thing is something (as a non-smoker) I can buy into, but it feels like prodding a hornet's nest unnecessarily. Banning smoking to reduce the pressure on the NHS in the long term is absolutely something that a serious government should be pursuing, but I am surprised politically that they've floated that very specific and particular concept now.

As for McVey, we can only despair locally for our near neighbours in Tatton who have chosen to suffer her as an MP. For that poem and the smoking ban to even be in anyone's minds as closely enough related to be able to make a serious point says a great deal about that individual's mindset.

Though, at least she is now on record as supporting *not* wanting communists arrested :-)
30 Aug
9:42am, 30 Aug 2024
32,991 posts
  •  
Johnny Blaze
Wasn't Rishi going to ban cigarettes completely with his cray cray creeping ban policy?

ION: a bad week for Orange Jesus.
Arlington Cemetery scandal
Harris seeing post-convention poll bounce
General unhinged insanity including reposts of QAnon garbage
Superceding indictment in J6 case

Tick tock...

About This Thread

Maintained by Chrisull
Name-calling will be called out, and Ad hominem will be frowned upon. :-) And whatabout-ery sits somewhere above responding to tone and below contradiction.

*** NEW US election PREDICTOR *** Predict:

1) Number of electoral college votes Democrats get
2) Party to win the Senate (Democrat or Republican)
3) Party to win the House (Democrat or Republican)

Do the prediction like this: 312 D D - you win if you get the first number right and no-one else does.

Johnny Blaze 360 R D
Bob 312 D D
EarlyRiser 306 R D
LindsD 298 R D
Chrisull 276 R D
Larkim 268 R R
TROSaracen 226 R R
PaulCook 0 R R

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.