Politics

11 lurkers | 212 watchers
29 Aug
10:38am, 29 Aug 2024
32,971 posts
  •  
Johnny Blaze
Beware of people offering simple solutions to complex problems.
I'd be interested to know who is going to winnow out these bullshit jobs and on what basis.
What about a Cobol programmer? Bullshit or not bullshit? Or any IT job come to think of it.
HR?
Training?
Managerial?
Call centres?
Bank staff?
Retail?
Distributive?

Are they all bullshit jobs? Who decides?
Who or what do you replace them with? What happens if you just eliminate them altogether? Or is that just a detail?
jda
29 Aug
10:40am, 29 Aug 2024
17,709 posts
  •  
jda
Beware of people refusing to consider any simple (partial) solution to the problem of Brexit on ideological grounds.
29 Aug
10:51am, 29 Aug 2024
11,549 posts
  •  
Fields
Johnny Blaze wrote:Beware of people offering simple solutions to complex problems. I'd be interested to know who is going to winnow out these bullshit jobs and on what basis. What about a Cobol programmer? Bullshit or not bullshit? Or any IT job come to think of it. HR? Training? Managerial? Call centres? Bank staff? Retail? Distributive? Are they all bullshit jobs? Who decides? Who or what do you replace them with? What happens if you just eliminate them altogether? Or is that just a detail?

Why not read David Graeber’s book? Your local library may well have a copy. Even the Wikipedia article gives some useful insight.
jda
29 Aug
10:52am, 29 Aug 2024
17,710 posts
  •  
jda
Can anyone give me a single plausible explanation, beyond spiteful vindictiveness and ideological purity, why the UK should not agree to the youth mobility scheme mooted by the Germans (reportedly with the support of the broader EU)?
29 Aug
11:23am, 29 Aug 2024
22,955 posts
  •  
DeeGee
Because it means German young people will come here under the same conditions and we didn't win two world wars and one world cup just to roll over and let the Hun invade.

My Grandad would be turning in his grave if he thought we'd opened our borders to the Wehrmacht.
29 Aug
11:24am, 29 Aug 2024
32,972 posts
  •  
Johnny Blaze
Joint declaration on deepening and enhancing UK-Germany relations
"Germany and the United Kingdom share a strong friendship, common values and mutual interests. We are close partners in Europe and internationally as well as long-standing Allies in NATO. Today, given the common challenges our two countries face, we are convinced that the time has come to take our bilateral relations to the next level.

To this end, we are launching work on a bilateral cooperation treaty and will hold

government-to-government consultations to sign it by early next year. This treaty will reflect our status as the closest of partners in Europe, with the strongest possible bilateral cooperation on the issues that matter most to our populations. It shall reflect the rich ties

between our two countries, peoples and governments across the breadth of our bilateral relationship, in full accordance with Germany’s membership of the EU, and the UK’s relationship with the EU.

Our joint priorities include foreign policy cooperation in peace and security, growing our economies, industrial transformation, law enforcement cooperation and action to tackle

irregular migration, increased people-to-people contacts, youth and education, energy security, climate and nature policy, development policy, transport and infrastructure as well as technology, research and innovation.

Germany and the UK are detrmined to defend and promote peace and security in Europe. As leading European Allies in NATO, we will work together with our Allies and partners to ensure

that our ability to deter and defend in the Euro-Atlantic area remains credible at all times and against any possible threats or adversaries. We are committed to deterring a more aggressive Russia, sustaining our support to Ukraine and boosting European defence.
Our Foreign Ministries will coordinate work to negotiate the bilateral treaty, in close consultation with the German Federal Chancellery and the Prime Minister’s Office/Cabinet Office and the respective ministries.

In this context we welcome the work that is already being conducted at pace between our Defence Ministers on a new agreement on defence to strengthen the links between our defence communities, industries and armed forces, and which act as a key pillar of the forthcoming bilateral cooperation treaty."

If you believe in a world which demands that liberal democracies stand together against the waves of nationalism, isolationism and populism washing across the globe I would say that's all fairly positive - especially in contrast to the jingoistic isolationist BS beloved of the Brexit crew and the noises being made by the Trumpets.

And he's off to France today.

I'm rather pleased that the grown ups are back in charge. That's a start.
29 Aug
11:26am, 29 Aug 2024
22,956 posts
  •  
DeeGee
[Funny story, when my late father-in-law first introduced my mother-in-law to his mum, the mum's first question was "Are we friends with the Germans now then, you Michael?"]
29 Aug
1:38pm, 29 Aug 2024
11,551 posts
  •  
Fields
I don’t see any theoretical problem with a time-limited youth study / worker exchange, it could even offer a bidirectional route to citizenship for those who wanted it.

The challenge I see would be v/folk wanting to move to London or Berlin respectively and both these cities have enough challenges I think with housing and services as it is. Not sure how to resolve this. I have the idea there are similar arrangements between Spain and Portugal and Latin American / Lusosphere nations.

Then again all “irregular migrants” in JB post which I assume is Starmerspeak for asylum seekers are told “you probably won’t be able to live in London”. So I see no reason why someone from a European country should be treated any differently, except for racism.

I would like to know if the immigration opposing AfD would be against this too. As expect they are ok with free movement but for their sort of people only.
29 Aug
2:09pm, 29 Aug 2024
22,957 posts
  •  
DeeGee
When I did my two spells of "Youth Mobility", during and immediately after my degree, I was in Alsace - which in those days was almost as far as you could get from Paris, especially being an hour away from Strasbourg by train - and Picardie which, to be fair, is pretty much the Parisian equivalent of Berkshire.

If you're going to a country for more than 90 days, then you're not really turning up in the capital on-spec and sucking it and seeing - we're not talking about posho teenagers doing the grand tour on Daddy's money that he made because he's something in the city - you do jobs or you're studying. Or both. You go where you're needed or where the opportunities are.

So if there's nowt in Berlin to be doing, folk won't go to Berlin, and if Dortmund doesn't appeal to anyone then nobody will go.

Of course, it doesn't resolve the problem of well motivated foreigners coming into a depressed northern city and doing short-term jobs that for whatever reason can't be recruited for locally from the local supply of jobseekers. Which I understand is the only problem with free movement of labour.

Fields wrote:Then again all “irregular migrants” in JB post which I assume is Starmerspeak for asylum seekers

"Irregular migrants" is the correct term, unless we are claiming that everyone coming in via irregular routes is an asylum seeker?
29 Aug
2:10pm, 29 Aug 2024
22,946 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
BBC News - Home Office criticised for billions of asylum overspending - BBC News
bbc.co.uk

Erm budgeted £320m. Spent £7.9bn.

So just a £7.6bn overspend... On one thing under a Tory home office.

What an absolute joke.

About This Thread

Maintained by Chrisull
Name-calling will be called out, and Ad hominem will be frowned upon. :-) And whatabout-ery sits somewhere above responding to tone and below contradiction.

*** NEW US election PREDICTOR *** Predict:

1) Number of electoral college votes Democrats get
2) Party to win the Senate (Democrat or Republican)
3) Party to win the House (Democrat or Republican)

Do the prediction like this: 312 D D - you win if you get the first number right and no-one else does.

Johnny Blaze 360 R D
Bob 312 D D
EarlyRiser 306 R D
LindsD 298 R D
Chrisull 276 R D
Larkim 268 R R
TROSaracen 226 R R
PaulCook 0 R R

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.