Politics

3 lurkers | 212 watchers
28 Aug
7:17pm, 28 Aug 2024
11,541 posts
  •  
Fields
Not even going to bother responding to the borderline eugenicist.
28 Aug
7:22pm, 28 Aug 2024
32,968 posts
  •  
Johnny Blaze
It needs also to be said that families handed the jackpot of a seriously disabled child frequently end up on benefits as they cannot hold down a job at the same time as caring full time for a child (or partner or sister or parent). That's before considering what happens to marriages when a serious health event occurs.

Sorry to inject a dose of reality into the conversation.
28 Aug
7:26pm, 28 Aug 2024
4,882 posts
  •  
StuH
What a ^&$(, where's the kitten button?
28 Aug
7:30pm, 28 Aug 2024
50,795 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
We're happy to have a discussion Dubairunner, but not if you just spout sh*te!

Informed arguments, backed up with reasonable sources please.

I've been putting nothing into pensions for 10 years desperately trying to pay off debts and mortgage, with a view to making large tax free pension contributions for a couple of years at the end of my working life. Errr, think I might fall victim to any such reduction / removal in tax free pension contributions or thresholds. Oh well.

As long as it's progressive, I don't mind. We need to encourage everyone to make minimal pension savings (a la Nest and auto enrolment) but we could massively reduce the annual threshold and total pot so that the super rich aren't able to use it for tax avoidance. I don't mind if I pay a bit more, as long as they pay a *lot* more!! :-) G
28 Aug
7:38pm, 28 Aug 2024
27,302 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
Anecdotal evidence from a sample of one. A colleague of Mrs axe only works 16 hrs and asked why Mrs axe works 40 for the salary she gets when she could get more by doing 16 and claiming benefits. A situation that means people are incentivised not to work more isn’t good

On the pension changes, I reckon that it will be people like HG who are the biggest losers. I.e.those in the middle earner category. Those that are truly wealthy high earners will be able to find ways around this. Those at the lower end May find their pension is better off which is good, but those in the middle are squeezed

Oh and in Scotland higher tax kicks in at £43k and not £50k so chances are middle earners in Scotland will need to have even broader shoulders.
28 Aug
7:52pm, 28 Aug 2024
332 posts
  •  
kaysdee
Oh dear.

I also speak as the parent of a severely disabled (now) young adult. Gave up my career to survive on pence per hour in carer’s allowance to care for him exclusively for the first 15 years of his life. Amongst other health conditions, OH was diagnosed with cancer, then dementia and my return to full time work 6 years ago (when OH was made redundant) sees me with hardly any pension provision and little hope of ever earning even half the salary of a high rate tax payer.

Son is now almost 21, OH is now in a care home at a young age. Bloody scroungers, I tell you. Easy life with handouts of tax credits and 2 other young adults to hope to support through uni.

I wouldn’t actually change my son, but what I would give for some people to consider what “people on handouts” would give to not be in a position to need them. How I wish those people could see every struggle, sacrifice and determination of ill and disabled people just to make it through the day. The things my kid has been through… and he still has a smile on his face. The kindness he shows to all around him. More of him in this world please.
28 Aug
7:53pm, 28 Aug 2024
29,072 posts
  •  
richmac
wrote:Gov.uk over 9 million working age people claiming some sort of benefit

wrote:And how many on disability? When the majority of them could work…

FML all the lazy prejudice assumptions rolled into one person who seems to have abandoned this country but still wants to have a say?

People on disability? FML yes companies are screaming out for severely dyslexic wheelchair bound former brickies, or veterans with no hands who can't quite stack shelves quick but 'could' work. Then again there's the people, thousands of them will qualified for a job but as soon as reasonable adjustments are mentioned at interview the job offers strangely don't come.

Clearly, you have no clue.

I may get a ban for that post, hey ho
28 Aug
7:56pm, 28 Aug 2024
32,969 posts
  •  
Johnny Blaze
Applause for KD.

Nobody gets to choose the hand they get dealt and a bit of empathy wouldn't go amiss.
28 Aug
8:02pm, 28 Aug 2024
29,074 posts
  •  
richmac
I got to choose the hand I dealt away 😉

I'm also in awe of parents of disabled kids. BTW
28 Aug
8:07pm, 28 Aug 2024
27,304 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
Kaysdee, you and family are those that our support system should be focussed on.

Another anecdotal example. I have a cousin, he and his partner have six or maybe seven children. I lose track. They have two council houses knocked into one to accommodate them, and in a very nice town. Neither of them have worked very much as far as I can make out.

About This Thread

Maintained by Chrisull
Name-calling will be called out, and Ad hominem will be frowned upon. :-) And whatabout-ery sits somewhere above responding to tone and below contradiction.

*** NEW US election PREDICTOR *** Predict:

1) Number of electoral college votes Democrats get
2) Party to win the Senate (Democrat or Republican)
3) Party to win the House (Democrat or Republican)

Do the prediction like this: 312 D D - you win if you get the first number right and no-one else does.

Johnny Blaze 360 R D
Bob 312 D D
EarlyRiser 306 R D
LindsD 298 R D
Chrisull 276 R D
Larkim 268 R R
TROSaracen 226 R R
PaulCook 0 R R

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.