Politics

17 lurkers | 212 watchers
14 Aug
3:16pm, 14 Aug 2024
22,024 posts
  •  
Chrisull
The far right have been making themselves look stupid in the South West, so much so a Plymouth judge's comments when convicting one rioter have gone massively viral:

"He (the judge) told Cann that during police interview he "spouted the dangerously inaccurate nonsense that was behind these incidents of disorder countrywide" pointing out that he told police during his interview that the protests were about "an immigrant that had killed girls".

Judge Linford noted that the judge in Liverpool who dealt with the alleged perpetrator of the attacks "took the unusual step of naming him in an attempt to show people that the person in question was not an immigrant - but they [other rioters] and you didn't really care about that. It was just an excuse to go out and have a go at people with whose views you disagree."

Judge Robert Linford then rounded on Cann telling him that according to his police interview he discussed with them "about the better use of taxpayers' money and why people were having to pay to keep these people in this country after committing such heinous crimes."

Judge Linford then launched a stinging rebuke to Cann saying: "So let's look at how the taxpayer have been funding your activities over the last 38 years - let's see what you've cost the country: you've got 10 aliases, four fictitious birth dates, you're 51 years of age, you've been convicted of 170 offences, you been convicted of theft, arson, taking cars, handling stolen goods, obtaining by deception, burglary, dangerous driving and possessing bladed articles. In all over the years that you've been visiting the criminal justice system you've received sentences totalling 357 months in prison, many of them concurrent.

"In other words, nearly 30 years. That Mr Cann is what you've been costing this country and you sit there in that interview and saw fit to be critical of others. You have no right whatever to say who should or should not be in this country."

plymouthherald.co.uk

Oof!
14 Aug
3:22pm, 14 Aug 2024
50,698 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Oh bravo Judge Linford. We need this sort of thing to be shouted out by the media all over the place to try and get this message through these idiots' heads. :-) G
14 Aug
3:43pm, 14 Aug 2024
28,927 posts
  •  
richmac
Judge Linford know his shit
14 Aug
3:44pm, 14 Aug 2024
28,928 posts
  •  
richmac
Also - the judiciary really do get the last word
14 Aug
4:11pm, 14 Aug 2024
25,345 posts
  •  
larkim
I've been out of touch with this over the last few weeks; what's been the quality of response / rejection of the rioters' "premise" been like from the govt etc? From what little I've read I've heard the "right sort of thing" from the govt (tough on the perpetrators, and contradicting the narrative that "immigrants" are causing violent problems), but not really got a sense of how effective that has been?
14 Aug
4:14pm, 14 Aug 2024
22,889 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
Well some chap called Elon thinks we've joined the USSR apparently.
14 Aug
4:21pm, 14 Aug 2024
50,699 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
I have only heard from gov't 1. fast and hard justice (which would be same as in a totalitarian state. Though I'm not confusing correlation with causality!) and 2. loads of police boots on ground (see 1. !)

There has been a paucity of engagement on the fundamentals

* Do immigrants add value to the country? (A: Yes! jobs that need doing, earn more tax revenue for country than UK nationals, increase over all productivity and GDP etc.)
* Does having different communities, cultures, races, creeds etc. add value to the country (A: me - yes. But others would like to debate that.)

And I think that is key topic for government and society to engage with. :-) G
14 Aug
4:27pm, 14 Aug 2024
22,890 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
You sound like Matt Goodwin and the other apologists there Happy!

I much as it pains me, I agree with Danny Finklestein (see: nitter.poast.org ) - why should we treat the riots as if they were a debating point? 'The immigration policy made me smash up the library and set fire to a hotel' is not a argument with which we should engage.

Can we have debates about immigration, yes - and we have been for much of the past 20 years and I imagine it will continue for the next 20.

The lie that we haven't talked about immigration and multiculturalism is one oft spread by the hard/far right who, because they haven't got their own way in this area, have resorted to spreading misinformation online and smashing up stuff.
14 Aug
4:34pm, 14 Aug 2024
22,891 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
Btw - the evidence (yes, the actual real measurable stuff), e.g. from the BEIS surveys, show that the UK has become more tolerant and broadly supportive of immigration, migrants and integration of new cultures and societies.

Where people have negative views, apart from the very far right and racist, is broadly centred solely around refugees and asylum seekers ('illegals') - labouring under the misapprehension that these are the vast bulk of immigrants (and that they're all muslims - which some racists find particularly perturbing) and that they get some form of preferential treatment.

So, yes we can have debates around that - we can make our asylum system more humane and easier to access and make fast decisions (which the govt are trying to do), but this is hardly not debated either - we, as a country, have just spent 3 years nearly pissing about with a stupid scheme like the Rwanda "plan" and that was widely debated.....

The idea that immigration and even asylum policy isn't openly and widely debated is nonsense.
14 Aug
4:35pm, 14 Aug 2024
25,346 posts
  •  
larkim
Yes, I can see that - treat the thugs as thugs, and nothing more, nothing less.

The previous govt would have said something along the lines of "We understand the frustration in some communities about the perceptions of the impact that immigration can have".

About This Thread

Maintained by Chrisull
Name-calling will be called out, and Ad hominem will be frowned upon. :-) And whatabout-ery sits somewhere above responding to tone and below contradiction.

*** Last poll winner

121 - Congrats to kstuart who predicted 121

*** Next poll will be along soon....

HappyG 270
Fenners Reborn 266
Jda 250
GeneHunt 205
Larkim 191
Mushroom 185
Bazoaxe 180
JamieKai 177
Cheg 171
Yakima Canutt 165
Chrisull 155
NDWDave 147
Macca53 138
JB 135
Derby Tup 133
Little Nemo 130
Big G 128
Kstuart 121
LindsD 120
Diogenes 117
Fields 111
B Rubble 110
Mrs Shanksi 103
J2r 101
Richmac 101
rf_fuzzy 100 (+15/-15)
simbil 99
DaveW 95
Paulcook 88
Fetch 85
Bob 72
Weean 69 and 2/3
Pothunter 50

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.