Politics

23 lurkers | 212 watchers
13 Aug
12:35pm, 13 Aug 2024
32,918 posts
  •  
Johnny Blaze
"The less voters see of him the better" doesn't sound like the biggest vote of confidence ever!
13 Aug
12:36pm, 13 Aug 2024
28,911 posts
  •  
richmac
Does Trump have a choice after accepting the nomination ?
13 Aug
12:37pm, 13 Aug 2024
28,912 posts
  •  
richmac
Other than dying that is
13 Aug
12:43pm, 13 Aug 2024
32,919 posts
  •  
Johnny Blaze
It's a good question and I have no idea because the ballots are probably being printed as we speak. I "suppose" that Shady Vance would step in. I need to Google.

Googled...

What if a vacancy arises after the convention but before election day?
Here again the political parties would play a central role.

The Democratic National Committee and the Republican National Committee have slightly different rules guiding how they would replace the deceased presidential nominee by majority vote.

According to party rules, the DNC has the power to fill the vacancy on their party ticket after the chair consults Democratic governors and congressional leaders. The RNC, according to its rules, could reconvene a national convention or select the alternative candidate itself.

For simplicity, the parties would probably consider the running mate, but there is no guarantee.

If there were enough time, the replacement candidate might appear on the ballot. But states have different ballot filing deadlines and several states begin mailing their ballots as early as September.

In states where ballots have already been printed or mailed, the party could instruct voters – and electors – to treat the names at the top of the ticket “as hieroglyphics”, said Derek Muller, a law professor at the University of Notre Dame.

“If it says Biden-Harris, you should interpret that as Harris-Booker,” he said, offering the hypothetical example of an alternative Democratic ticket with the New Jersey senator Cory Booker as Harris’s running mate.

I doubt there will be any change, but the guy is 78. These US campaigns are brutal and would exhaust a 40 year old. An energetic campaign is beyond him.
13 Aug
12:59pm, 13 Aug 2024
6,188 posts
  •  
paulcook
There's something sinister with the elections this year. UK on 4th July, now US on 5th November.
13 Aug
6:08pm, 13 Aug 2024
21,417 posts
  •  
Dave W
Liz Truss Casts Doubt on Kamala Harris’s Presidential Credentials
Former UK Prime Minister Liz Truss has criticised Vice President Kamala Harris’s record, as European allies quietly worry about Harris’s potential presidential run.

ROFL. Again, you could not make this shit up.
SPR
13 Aug
6:27pm, 13 Aug 2024
45,686 posts
  •  
SPR
Some say it takes one to know one but that would mean Truss acknowledging she's one.
13 Aug
6:38pm, 13 Aug 2024
25,339 posts
  •  
larkim
Chrisull wrote:@larkim - how you getting on with the Searchers - coincidentally I got that for my bday too, and have got through the first 120 pages already. It's really interesting, and it's not total hagiography either, Beckett quite happy to point out when Benn or Livingstone haven't been sensible. The ideas behind their development are really interesting, especially Diane Abbott.

Not had anywhere near enough time on holiday to read!! Only made it a handful of pages in so far. Initial impressions of the author is that I need to overcome the desire to reject some of his hypotheses about the world and just gloss over them to get to the interesting stuff. Found it interesting so far to learn of Benn's moderate starting points though, including the things that he didn't oppose (e.g. not speaking out about Vietnam I think it was) which the current Left would pillory him for.
jda
14 Aug
6:12am, 14 Aug 2024
17,635 posts
  •  
jda
The Trussterfuck really isn’t big on self-awareness is she?
14 Aug
6:32am, 14 Aug 2024
28,918 posts
  •  
richmac
What's more surprising is that anyone of reporting the shite that spews from Truss.

About This Thread

Maintained by Chrisull
Name-calling will be called out, and Ad hominem will be frowned upon. :-) And whatabout-ery sits somewhere above responding to tone and below contradiction.

*** Last poll winner

121 - Congrats to kstuart who predicted 121

*** Next poll will be along soon....

HappyG 270
Fenners Reborn 266
Jda 250
GeneHunt 205
Larkim 191
Mushroom 185
Bazoaxe 180
JamieKai 177
Cheg 171
Yakima Canutt 165
Chrisull 155
NDWDave 147
Macca53 138
JB 135
Derby Tup 133
Little Nemo 130
Big G 128
Kstuart 121
LindsD 120
Diogenes 117
Fields 111
B Rubble 110
Mrs Shanksi 103
J2r 101
Richmac 101
rf_fuzzy 100 (+15/-15)
simbil 99
DaveW 95
Paulcook 88
Fetch 85
Bob 72
Weean 69 and 2/3
Pothunter 50

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.