Politics

40 lurkers | 212 watchers
7 Aug
5:18pm, 7 Aug 2024
50,636 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
jda wrote:You can't solve imaginary grievances with practical solutions.

Agree with that jda. But can we find a way to tackle the imaginary grievances and also why people choose to hold imaginary grievances, in the long term too?

I think it applies to both those who live in relative poverty or deprivation and to those who every privilege. They can all choose to have some dislike of a random "other" group. But why do they feel that need? For those who are deprived, I don't think 3M was suggesting that their blaming of immigrants was valid, simply that there was a cause for feeling a need to blame "someone".

Whereas for the privileged middle classes, I can't see that at all. Why hold a grievance, when you are actually holding all the aces?! Anyhoo, perhaps I'll never understand.

Someone near and dear to me has another "potential concern". She has read (actually seen - she's a bit YouTube consumer) lots about radical Islamist extremism. And she thinks that this is part of people's legitimate concern. Not Islam and all Muslims, by any means. And certainly not all people of colour or immigrants. But specifically radical Islamist individuals and groups. My view is that there are extremists in all faiths and beliefs - right wingers, left wingers, Christians, Muslims, Hindus - until there is some realistic and credible threat to you or those about you, why would you want to get agitated about it?

And you certainly must *not* confuse any form of radical extremism, with the peaceful, law abiding faith or belief community, or nationality or race, because there happens to be a common word in the title. Unfortunately, if my loved one, an educated, intelligent, compassionate person can confuse or conflate these things, what would those who have less critical thinking confuse and conflate? :-) G
7 Aug
5:35pm, 7 Aug 2024
6,080 posts
  •  
Ally-C
LindsD wrote:So true jda. I had to agree to disagree with my mother just last week when she was trying to tell me that the world was much more violent now, on the grounds that some people had been stabbed. She has been burgled once but otherwise has never been a victim of crime and has, since she married my Dad, had a decently comfortable standard of living. She watches too much shit TV.

The good old moral panic.
7 Aug
5:40pm, 7 Aug 2024
6,119 posts
  •  
paulcook
And talking about misinformation, GB News viewers are up in arms - especially about two-tier policing - because the first protestors have been sentenced, and according to a GB News graphic "20, 30 and 2 years".

Yep, the first two fail to say months.
jda
7 Aug
5:49pm, 7 Aug 2024
17,597 posts
  •  
jda
To avoid misunderstanding, I should also clarify that plenty of people do have genuine problems to complain about. For example, I'm sure that (contrary to my mother's beliefs) the majority of people using foodbanks are actually short of money. But the political discourse about immigration (and more specifically, small boats) is largely hot air.
7 Aug
6:07pm, 7 Aug 2024
50,640 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
I find comments like this by a senior politician to be a real part of the problem. It normalises "othering", fear and hatred, in my opinion:

"Jenrick says Allahu Akbar “is spoken peacefully and spiritually by millions of British Muslims in their daily lives”.

But “aggressive chanting” of the phrase as seen by gangs of men in balaclavas in Birmingham was "intimidatory and threatening" and “an offence under Section 4 and 5 of the Public Order Act”, he says.

Former Tory Party chair Baroness Warsi accused Jenrick of being dishonest, external and called on him to apologise."

If I was on the street with a balaclava, weapons, shouting and behaving aggressively, then if I was shouting "Washing machine, washing machine" it would be wrong and a cause for concern and potential police action. It's not the words that are indicative of anything. Allahu Akbar is no more offensive or meaningful than "Hallelujah" or "Praise God" or "God is Great" or anything that would be said by Christians or any other group.

Highlighting the words *IS* part of the problem and Jenrick knows it. Or if he doesn't then he needs to educate himself and withdraw himself from any political or public position. Grrr.
7 Aug
6:53pm, 7 Aug 2024
6,121 posts
  •  
paulcook
rf_fozzy wrote:Meanwhile Ed Balls interviews the Home Secretary on GMB and attacks other guests who disagree with him and his wife (aka the Home Sec). This is GB News level of broadcasting.

8201 complaints to Ofcom.

Though not all about the husband-wife interview, some relate to the bullying of Zarah Sultana.
SPR
7 Aug
7:38pm, 7 Aug 2024
45,560 posts
  •  
SPR
Jenrick is full of it and that isn't what he said earlier anyway as Warsi said.
7 Aug
8:29pm, 7 Aug 2024
28,851 posts
  •  
richmac
I think Warzi called him a 'tool'
7 Aug
8:44pm, 7 Aug 2024
21,239 posts
  •  
Dave W
Trump added that President Biden, who is still serving as commander-in-chief yet dropped out of the 2024 presidential race, had his “Presidency...Unconstitutionally STOLEN from him by Kamabla, Barrack HUSSEIN Obama, Crazy Nancy Pelosi, Shifty Adam Schiff, Cryin’ Chuck Schumer, and others on the Lunatic Left.”

This orange chap is so unhinged I think he’d be too crackers for the Reform Party. Or maybe he would fit right in.
jda
7 Aug
9:02pm, 7 Aug 2024
17,598 posts
  •  
jda
Honestly I wouldn’t criticise Jenrick on that one narrow point. It’s a cry that is (I think) frequently uttered by Islamic terrorists at the point of attack and will be quite likely interpreted as a direct threat by many.

He’s wrong on most things, of course.

About This Thread

Maintained by Chrisull
Name-calling will be called out, and Ad hominem will be frowned upon. :-) And whatabout-ery sits somewhere above responding to tone and below contradiction.

*** Last poll winner

121 - Congrats to kstuart who predicted 121

*** Next poll will be along soon....

HappyG 270
Fenners Reborn 266
Jda 250
GeneHunt 205
Larkim 191
Mushroom 185
Bazoaxe 180
JamieKai 177
Cheg 171
Yakima Canutt 165
Chrisull 155
NDWDave 147
Macca53 138
JB 135
Derby Tup 133
Little Nemo 130
Big G 128
Kstuart 121
LindsD 120
Diogenes 117
Fields 111
B Rubble 110
Mrs Shanksi 103
J2r 101
Richmac 101
rf_fuzzy 100 (+15/-15)
simbil 99
DaveW 95
Paulcook 88
Fetch 85
Bob 72
Weean 69 and 2/3
Pothunter 50

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.