Politics

8 lurkers | 212 watchers
SPR
21 Jul
9:18pm, 21 Jul 2024
45,352 posts
  •  
SPR
You saying it's not relevant doesn't matter, it's what people actually think on the ground. If people generally think it doesn't matter then it doesn't, if it sticks then it does.
21 Jul
9:23pm, 21 Jul 2024
1,146 posts
  •  
Non-runner
If RFK pulls out it could be bad news for Harris. Conversely...
newsweek.com
21 Jul
9:26pm, 21 Jul 2024
50,493 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Also Republicans rumoured to be looking into legal routes to challenge any nominee who isn't Biden as not having gone through Democrats' own selection process. Democrats can sidestep it by changing their own rules, Republicans might do it just to try and smear some unjustified

dirt around.

Oh I would soooooo love Trump to lose K Harris, a female candidate of colour. His orange will explode.

And how fantastic for USA if they could have 8 years. Trump would be gone by then surely? One can dream. :-) G
21 Jul
9:26pm, 21 Jul 2024
22,727 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
US politics doesn't work like you think it does.

The only people who vote in primaries are registered members of the parties - and only in their parties primary contest.

So not everyone votes.

It's simply a vetting process.

And that is how it is viewed.

I'm sure some republicans will attempt to spin it as you're describing, but if they do, it's because they are worried, because the obvious answer is that thr us public will decide in november
21 Jul
9:28pm, 21 Jul 2024
22,728 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
(replying to spr).

But also happy - it's an internal party process, they can choose a nominee however they like.
SPR
21 Jul
9:33pm, 21 Jul 2024
45,354 posts
  •  
SPR
You're making assumptions @rf_fozzy, I know how primaries work. I said it will be interesting to see how the arguments play out. I never voiced an opinion on how they should play out.
21 Jul
11:09pm, 21 Jul 2024
32,830 posts
  •  
Johnny Blaze
rf_fozzy wrote:US politics doesn't work like you think it does. The only people who vote in primaries are registered members of the parties - and only in their parties primary contest. So not everyone votes. It's simply a vetting process. And that is how it is viewed. I'm sure some republicans will attempt to spin it as you're describing, but if they do, it's because they are worried, because the obvious answer is that thr us public will decide in november

Not quite. A lot of primaries are open primaries.
22 Jul
8:09am, 22 Jul 2024
50,495 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
rf_fozzy wrote:(replying to spr). But also happy - it's an internal party process, they can choose a nominee however they like.

Which is exactly what I said fozzy:
Internal party process. Can be challenged legally if rules breached (civil, not criminal)
Can be fixed by changing the process, which is also an internal party action.
The above are still an attack vector that opponents can use to smear the Democratic party and its new presidential prospective candidate.

Think you'll find others do understand things. Perhaps the missing understanding (or different people's opinions) are on voters and how they react to political messaging, whether accurate and factual or not? :-) G
22 Jul
9:40am, 22 Jul 2024
32,831 posts
  •  
Johnny Blaze
If we fantasise that Trump loses, what happens then?
Regardless of how he loses, he will not accept it. He will probably try and overturn the result. He will probably fail.
While Pres Harris gets her feet under the desk, all his trials will kick back into motion. He may get jailed, but I doubt it. But would he try and run again in 2028? Would the Reps try to tell him no, we ain’t having an 82 year old who just lost the last two elections? Because he will tear them down if they do. He turns on everyone eventually.
22 Jul
9:47am, 22 Jul 2024
21,999 posts
  •  
Chrisull
From Guardian:

"All 50 state Democratic party chairs have already endorsed Harris to be the party’s new presidential nominee. Senators Mark Warner, Tammy Baldwin and others quickly offered their support for Harris in messages on Sunday, as did Bill and Hillary Clinton.

Two of the most likely alternatives to Harris, Gretchen Whitmer and Gavin Newsom, appear to have ruled themselves out of the running"

That to my mind leaves Pelosi and Obama - as the two major yet to endorse. Which probably leaves Michelle Obama as the only other realistic runner against Harris. I don't see that happening. I think the convention will be a coronation.

Meanwhile GOP strategist saying "it's like the dog who caught the car". Trump is acting like Biden is still his rival to beat.

Honestly, this feels way more optimistic, there will probably be a small poll bounce for Harris, 4 months is difficult to stick something on her in that time (and I'm sure it will be ugly).

She may well not win, but it feels like a fighting chance against Trump, plus instantly age, Hunter Biden, laptops instantly disappear as attack lines. And the idea that July 21st is a bigger coup than Jan 6th really seems like grasping at straws. And now age becomes Trump's achilles heel (as it always should have been) as the oldest ever presidential nominee.

About This Thread

Maintained by Chrisull
Name-calling will be called out, and Ad hominem will be frowned upon. :-) And whatabout-ery sits somewhere above responding to tone and below contradiction.

*** Last poll winner

121 - Congrats to kstuart who predicted 121

*** Next poll will be along soon....

HappyG 270
Fenners Reborn 266
Jda 250
GeneHunt 205
Larkim 191
Mushroom 185
Bazoaxe 180
JamieKai 177
Cheg 171
Yakima Canutt 165
Chrisull 155
NDWDave 147
Macca53 138
JB 135
Derby Tup 133
Little Nemo 130
Big G 128
Kstuart 121
LindsD 120
Diogenes 117
Fields 111
B Rubble 110
Mrs Shanksi 103
J2r 101
Richmac 101
rf_fuzzy 100 (+15/-15)
simbil 99
DaveW 95
Paulcook 88
Fetch 85
Bob 72
Weean 69 and 2/3
Pothunter 50

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.