Lip Gloss
Trump saying “she will be easier to defeat than Biden”
21 Jul
8:13pm, 21 Jul 2024
22,720 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
Did not see him stepping down.

Old school democratic selection process now. Probably good for democrats.

But Harris v trump could be tight
21 Jul
8:22pm, 21 Jul 2024
21,996 posts
  •  
Chrisull
Trump can say that all he likes, now they can go full in on attacking his age and senility.

Apparently his acceptance speech was absolute garbage, even fanboys saying it. Sharks and electrocution, Hannibal Lecter, ear bandages for non-existent grazes that didn't require a single stitch.

Nate Silver live tweeted his thoughts in three parts over an hour.

"It's a weird but pretty good speech. The past few weeks have gone about as badly as possible for Democrats, and they're likely underdogs against Trump regardless of who they nominate, but the opportunity to reset the campaign with a non-Biden nominee is a twist of good fortune."

Half an hour later:

"Semi-retract this tweet, this speech is boring AF, but there are worse things politically speaking than being boring."

And Half an hour later:

"Fully RETRACT and RESCIND, sometimes it seems like both parties are trying to throw this election."

x.com

Harris has deserved a shot at presidency, and I think she can do it. The risk is, if a white man tries to seize the chance and pisses off large sections of the support. But Biden's endorsement should be enough for most.
21 Jul
8:34pm, 21 Jul 2024
43,346 posts
  •  
Nellers
I think Harris is a good choice for being able to do the job but I have big worries about how a black woman will be open to a huge amount of pretty vile attacks from the right, and how much that will sway a big percentage of their electorate. Trump got in partly because he was put up against a woman and a lot of america wasn't ready for that.
21 Jul
8:38pm, 21 Jul 2024
32,825 posts
  •  
Johnny Blaze
I have hope.

He will have to debate her or they will say big tough Donny is a wuss.

I am fairly confident she will bounce the mad old fool off the walls. Here's hoping anyway.
21 Jul
8:43pm, 21 Jul 2024
43,347 posts
  •  
Nellers
Oh, so she's one of those nasty women who picks on the old white guy? That's going to play well with the fragile masculinity demographic.

Maybe I'm just too pessimistic for this thread.

I really really hope Trump blows it but I just can't see it. I don't think a late replacement candidate has ever won a US presidential election. Hopefully there's a first time for everything.
21 Jul
8:47pm, 21 Jul 2024
5,958 posts
  •  
paulcook
Read and also heard something about a legal challenge regards the $92m campaign fundraising that Biden won. The guardian piece linked above also says Harris would have most straightforward legal argument to use the funding.
21 Jul
8:47pm, 21 Jul 2024
32,826 posts
  •  
Johnny Blaze
Well, I guess they could interpret it that way but the truth is that sort have already made up their minds about her anyway. A lot can change in 4 months and with a vigorous campaign based on Roe and Democracy they have a shot. Most Americans didn't want Trump vs Biden and a new face changes the dynamic somewhat.
21 Jul
9:00pm, 21 Jul 2024
32,827 posts
  •  
Johnny Blaze
Trump’s speech was utterly bonkers. Unhinged frontier gibberish.
SPR
21 Jul
9:02pm, 21 Jul 2024
45,350 posts
  •  
SPR
The democracy angle is an interesting one given people voted for Biden to be the candidate. Wonder how that argument will play out.

About This Thread

Maintained by Chrisull
Name-calling will be called out, and Ad hominem will be frowned upon. :-) And whatabout-ery sits somewhere above responding to tone and below contradiction.

*** Last poll winner

121 - Congrats to kstuart who predicted 121

*** Next poll will be along soon....

HappyG 270
Fenners Reborn 266
Jda 250
GeneHunt 205
Larkim 191
Mushroom 185
Bazoaxe 180
JamieKai 177
Cheg 171
Yakima Canutt 165
Chrisull 155
NDWDave 147
Macca53 138
JB 135
Derby Tup 133
Little Nemo 130
Big G 128
Kstuart 121
LindsD 120
Diogenes 117
Fields 111
B Rubble 110
Mrs Shanksi 103
J2r 101
Richmac 101
rf_fuzzy 100 (+15/-15)
simbil 99
DaveW 95
Paulcook 88
Fetch 85
Bob 72
Weean 69 and 2/3
Pothunter 50

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.