Politics

5 lurkers | 212 watchers
8 Jul
4:18pm, 8 Jul 2024
22,649 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
Any system that has a list has flaws too though.

For example, Rees-Mogg was voted out by his constituency, in part because he is a ****. With a list system, he could be on that list and retain his place in the HoC if high enough up.

I would prefer a system where the vote is more proportional, but don't like the list system and I do despair that people don't take into account the actual person they are voting for and instead go with a "tribe"

That's why parties can put up nonentities (although at least corporeal unlike it seems some rekip candidates), who just follow the party line. If we took our votes as voters more seriously and vetted our candidates more seriously, we'd end up with better representation and better decisions - even if we didn't agree with all of them.

For example, if Rees-Mogg had stood for Labour in the last election, would I have voted for him? No. Similarly I'm aware of several 'dodgy' Green candidates with weird views too and wouldn't vote for them. The overall party is important, but I think the MP candidate is also just (if not more) important.
8 Jul
4:18pm, 8 Jul 2024
5,767 posts
  •  
paulcook
Are the Reform nominators even real?! I think you need at least 10 people to sign for example.
8 Jul
4:21pm, 8 Jul 2024
22,650 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
richmac wrote: I do think it's unlikely in 2024

For a candidate not to have an online presence - particularly if not from that particular constituency (many Rekip candidates weren't candidates in their local constituency and were from far and wide) and aren't actively campaigning - is extremely weird.

I know that some parties put up paper candidates (because it allows greater spending limits under electoral law), but they at least usually do *some* campaigning in their constituency and have a digital footprint for their campaign.
8 Jul
4:24pm, 8 Jul 2024
32,743 posts
  •  
Johnny Blaze
You can find the nominations on the council websites. It wouldn’t take too much sleuthing to establish whether the nominations are:

A) Real
B) People who have ever met the candidate

It’s a complete joke that someone in Gibraltar is even on the ballot, but I reckon that a useful piece of analysis would be to investigate how many candidates live in their constituency. Given the surprise element in the election date I suspect the answer is “not as many as you’d like”.

I checked a few Tory candidates before the election and a lot of them lived in London or Surrey but were candidates for constituencies hundreds of miles away.

I know people will say that it’s in the nature of the beast but it goes against the grain for me. Other opinions are available.
8 Jul
4:24pm, 8 Jul 2024
28,433 posts
  •  
richmac
So it's potentially a rouse to allow them to spend more cash on campaigning, also called fraud.

Hopefully we'll see Farage & Tice lead away in cuffs
SPR
8 Jul
4:25pm, 8 Jul 2024
45,073 posts
  •  
SPR
Problem is the candidates are linked to parties. No point voting for a great candidate if I disagree with what their party will do if my vote leads to them gaining power.

If candidates are independent that's a different matter.
8 Jul
4:26pm, 8 Jul 2024
28,434 posts
  •  
richmac
Going back to making savings - Labour are already at it :

bbc.co.uk
8 Jul
4:30pm, 8 Jul 2024
5,769 posts
  •  
paulcook
richmac wrote:Going back to making savings - Labour are already at it : bbc.co.uk

Can they do PPE next?

Michelle Mone could probably pay for a few NHS services herself.
8 Jul
4:30pm, 8 Jul 2024
7,547 posts
  •  
ThorntonRunner
I've always liked single transferable vote (in multi member constituencies). It's the system used in Eire. It's not fully proportional, but much closer than FPTP. It keeps the connection between MP.and constituency, and allows selection between candidates from the same party.
8 Jul
4:34pm, 8 Jul 2024
32,744 posts
  •  
Johnny Blaze
The law locks up the man or woman
Who steals the goose from off the common
But leaves the greater villain loose
Who steals the common from off the goose

About This Thread

Maintained by Chrisull
Name-calling will be called out, and Ad hominem will be frowned upon. :-) And whatabout-ery sits somewhere above responding to tone and below contradiction.

*** Last poll winner

121 - Congrats to kstuart who predicted 121

*** Next poll will be along soon....

HappyG 270
Fenners Reborn 266
Jda 250
GeneHunt 205
Larkim 191
Mushroom 185
Bazoaxe 180
JamieKai 177
Cheg 171
Yakima Canutt 165
Chrisull 155
NDWDave 147
Macca53 138
JB 135
Derby Tup 133
Little Nemo 130
Big G 128
Kstuart 121
LindsD 120
Diogenes 117
Fields 111
B Rubble 110
Mrs Shanksi 103
J2r 101
Richmac 101
rf_fuzzy 100 (+15/-15)
simbil 99
DaveW 95
Paulcook 88
Fetch 85
Bob 72
Weean 69 and 2/3
Pothunter 50

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.