richmac
There is a thread on Reddit...

reddit.com
8 Jul
3:49pm, 8 Jul 2024
50,423 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
larkim wrote:HappyG(rrr) wrote:@jda I won't comment on whether it is unfair, but 2 opposing parties choosing to stand only one candidate in order to jointly prevent the opposition not getting in is at least highly tactical. It was the stated approach by En Marche / Renaissance (Macron) in collaboration with the two left wing parties to agree to drop candidates to oppose National Rallye. That seems very manipulative of the system to me? My enemy's enemy is my friend? And where the ultimate enemy is the far right, I'd have respect for decisions not to blunt the opposition vote. Every electoral system has its way of being gamed to maximise political impact. I wish our political parties would do more to actively promote tactical voting, tbh, and perhaps give tribal individuals like me the nudge to vote tactically in bigger numbers than might otherwise be the case.

Larks, I'm fine with tactical voting, by voters (even if encouraged by parties). But I think parties withdrawing candidates, and therefore withdrawing choice, from voters seems... wrong. Not say the parties are doing anything illegal or immoral even. Just that the system (Round 1, then remove outliers to Round 2, but then subverted by parties removing not outliers, but removing a 3rd choice, leaving only 2) is... a poor system.

Simple answer is surely a form of PR, so that every vote counts and that it is voters choosing, not the parties? :-) G
8 Jul
3:59pm, 8 Jul 2024
5,766 posts
  •  
paulcook
richmac wrote:There is a thread on Reddit... reddit.com

Interesting. Up to 115 of them!!
um
8 Jul
4:03pm, 8 Jul 2024
8,640 posts
  •  
um
Although, @HappyG(rrr) , in my time I have 'voted for' all the main English parties, but primarily via voting for a known candidate. Someone I know & have trust in, or choosing not to vote for someone I think a complete idiot, based on the person more than the party.

Wouldn't PR remove that option from me and I'd end up needing to vote for a party?
jda
8 Jul
4:07pm, 8 Jul 2024
17,436 posts
  •  
jda
FWIW I don't think my mother has any on-line presence at all and though she's not a refuk supporter, she isn't too far off politically (too diehard tory to consider anything else). I don't think it's that unlikely that a number of their candidates are similar.
8 Jul
4:08pm, 8 Jul 2024
50,424 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
The PR answer to that um is constituency + list, as I understand it, which is a combination.

But yes, if it was the ranked vote or just one vote version and everyone is on a list, so voting for a party not a person, you would lose direct control of voting for an individual.

I am the opposite to you. I would normally vote for a party, not a person, where the party represents my views and aspirations. The individual will normally follow the party line (except in free votes) when in government. And in opposition, arguably an MP has almost no control, so what does it matter to me how good or bad they are, personally? But as I say, I really have always voted party, rather than person, so I'm probably coming from a place of bias in that regard.

I have also never spoken to or met any MP as far as I am aware, in my 35 years of voting. I can't really see the importance of the individual. It's the party that makes the decisions. An individual could be a bit feckless, or downright corrupt or anything else. But if they were just an MP, then the only thing about that which would affect me would be what they vote in parliament, wouldn't it?
jda
8 Jul
4:08pm, 8 Jul 2024
17,437 posts
  •  
jda
um, see previous discussion of the system used in Scotland.
8 Jul
4:12pm, 8 Jul 2024
28,429 posts
  •  
richmac
jda wrote:FWIW I don't think my mother has any on-line presence at all and though she's not a refuk supporter, she isn't too far off politically (too diehard tory to consider anything else). I don't think it's that unlikely that a number of their candidates are similar.

I do think it's unlikely in 2024 - especially for a party boasting about it's numbers on something called tocktick

The reform chancer near me I thin is real BTW although they do not even live in the area
8 Jul
4:14pm, 8 Jul 2024
32,742 posts
  •  
Johnny Blaze
I actually signed the nomination for our Labour candidate. I know he was real because he was sat 3 feet away.
8 Jul
4:17pm, 8 Jul 2024
28,431 posts
  •  
richmac
It seems that thanks to Tory policy you have to have more ID to vote than stand as a candidate.

What a time to be alive

About This Thread

Maintained by Chrisull
Name-calling will be called out, and Ad hominem will be frowned upon. :-) And whatabout-ery sits somewhere above responding to tone and below contradiction.

*** Last poll winner

121 - Congrats to kstuart who predicted 121

*** Next poll will be along soon....

HappyG 270
Fenners Reborn 266
Jda 250
GeneHunt 205
Larkim 191
Mushroom 185
Bazoaxe 180
JamieKai 177
Cheg 171
Yakima Canutt 165
Chrisull 155
NDWDave 147
Macca53 138
JB 135
Derby Tup 133
Little Nemo 130
Big G 128
Kstuart 121
LindsD 120
Diogenes 117
Fields 111
B Rubble 110
Mrs Shanksi 103
J2r 101
Richmac 101
rf_fuzzy 100 (+15/-15)
simbil 99
DaveW 95
Paulcook 88
Fetch 85
Bob 72
Weean 69 and 2/3
Pothunter 50

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.