Politics

3 lurkers | 212 watchers
SPR
8 Jul
1:05pm, 8 Jul 2024
45,063 posts
  •  
SPR
I don't think it does kill off PR here. The obvious person to take over is the leader of the largest party and they try and form a government if they can. The issue in France presumably is the president doesn't want that/ it's not in the president's interest.
SPR
8 Jul
1:07pm, 8 Jul 2024
45,064 posts
  •  
SPR
Clearly if the King tried something like that in the UK, the republican movement would grow PDQ.
jda
8 Jul
1:07pm, 8 Jul 2024
17,428 posts
  •  
jda
I think there's an issue in that the largest grouping is a loose coalition with no obvious leader or policy platform. It's also just a few days old!

I don't think it's fair to point the finger at Macron in this instance and asking the outgoing PM to stay on a while to give things a chance to settle seems a very pragmatic decision.
SPR
8 Jul
1:09pm, 8 Jul 2024
45,065 posts
  •  
SPR
Fair enough.
8 Jul
1:10pm, 8 Jul 2024
50,417 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
French system is weird though - the whole run off thing means that you are almost going from broad to single winner which is first past the post again, by the back door (or via two doors actually). A true PR system would allow 35% National Rallye to be in seats, but then other parties to work together to form a coalition. Or if NR can work with another party to form a majority then they get to govern. If that's the will of the people. I'm not sure their process of run-offs, where the parties can choose not to stand, in order to block a party before they have been elected, is any more the will of the people than our daft FPTP system.

Onshore wind is HUGE in France, Belgium, Holland and Germany if my recent 1,000 mile driving from Channel to Hamburg is anything to go by! And they are along the motorway - how is that destroying any beautiful countryside? Motorways are ugly already. Stick turbines along them! :-) G
8 Jul
1:24pm, 8 Jul 2024
32,741 posts
  •  
Johnny Blaze
We could hardly be in a better place in Europe for wind power generation. Ireland, possibly. Or Portugal.
8 Jul
1:39pm, 8 Jul 2024
18,921 posts
  •  
JamieKai *chameleon*
We had a all staff event this morning with our new Ministerial lead. It's put me in a good mood, as it's nice to have grown ups in charge again.
8 Jul
1:46pm, 8 Jul 2024
25,031 posts
  •  
larkim
Presumably it will still be a few days before all the ministerial and sub-ministerial payroll jobs are given out. Watching to see if our MP gets a role, primarily.
8 Jul
1:49pm, 8 Jul 2024
5,763 posts
  •  
paulcook
Yeah, I got the impression there are three coalitions, none of which have enough lead nor will necessarily work together, so there's limbo. Almost a comparison is one is Corbyn-led, one Starmer-led, the third Farage-led, but I guess that's a slapdash oversimplification.

Starmer's final speech on FPTP a week or so before the election was he wouldn't get rid of it as it provided a strong electoral result. I suppose FPTP could also get a similar result though hugely unlikely.

HappyG(rrr) wrote:I'm not sure their process of run-offs, where the parties can choose not to stand, in order to block a party before they have been elected,

I think you've explained the system better than the version I had seen, whereby round 1 was like an opinion poll, round 2 the real thing.
jda
8 Jul
2:16pm, 8 Jul 2024
17,431 posts
  •  
jda
R1 is a qualifier of sorts, it generates some MPs (not sure how many this time) if the majority is big enough, and also eliminates some no-hopers as there's a threshold for R2. So more than an opinion poll and I don't think people dropping out can be regarded as nefarious or unfair. It might be more natural (and less complex) to just run some sort of AV in a single ballot.

About This Thread

Maintained by Chrisull
Name-calling will be called out, and Ad hominem will be frowned upon. :-) And whatabout-ery sits somewhere above responding to tone and below contradiction.

*** Last poll winner

121 - Congrats to kstuart who predicted 121

*** Next poll will be along soon....

HappyG 270
Fenners Reborn 266
Jda 250
GeneHunt 205
Larkim 191
Mushroom 185
Bazoaxe 180
JamieKai 177
Cheg 171
Yakima Canutt 165
Chrisull 155
NDWDave 147
Macca53 138
JB 135
Derby Tup 133
Little Nemo 130
Big G 128
Kstuart 121
LindsD 120
Diogenes 117
Fields 111
B Rubble 110
Mrs Shanksi 103
J2r 101
Richmac 101
rf_fuzzy 100 (+15/-15)
simbil 99
DaveW 95
Paulcook 88
Fetch 85
Bob 72
Weean 69 and 2/3
Pothunter 50

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.