Politics

16 lurkers | 212 watchers
8 Jul
9:02am, 8 Jul 2024
32,734 posts
  •  
Johnny Blaze
I’d say the Republicans are definitely a party of the Hard Right these days, although granted some of them may be half reasonable, “traditional Republicans” and are just hunkered down waiting till Trump is history. But they are just being gutless - they are willing acolytes of a would-be white nationalist autocrat - a criminal, a liar, a lunatic and an insurrectionist who tried to overturn a lawful election and will burn down their democracy if he gets in again.

Too late though, they are a MAGA party now and that genie isn’t going back in the bottle any time soon.
8 Jul
9:05am, 8 Jul 2024
32,735 posts
  •  
Johnny Blaze
larkim wrote:Normal / average are oddities. I've got more than the average number of arms for a British person. Does me having two arms make me normal or not therefore? When not used in an intentionally or negligently pejorative sense, normal to mean an adult who has raised a child, and normal for a child to have raised a child themselves seems perfectly sensible. And it's also normal to not raise a child and have children who don't raise children. Neither is abnormal, they are just two iterations of normal. And in the context that JB used, as a man who had fathered children and who had grandchildren, calling out JB for homophobia is unacceptable. Maybe, with hindsight, use of "typical" or "average" or "stereotypical" are better words, and I'd be the first to agree that there are some words and phrases that we use subconsciously which demonstrate subconscious bias, but I don't think the case highlighted here was one of those.

Really? I missed that. I assume it’s our tankie friend who is never intentionally right on anything? Kittens are my friend. Again.
8 Jul
9:06am, 8 Jul 2024
18,919 posts
  •  
JamieKai *chameleon*
larkim wrote:calling out JB for homophobia is unacceptable.

I take issue with many things that JB says (mostly the interminable LOTR references). What he said was not homophobic and to characterise it as such is nonsensical, and frankly undermines the lived reality of homophobic abuse that LGBTQ people encounter on a regular basis (a casual wander through Facebook should suffice).
8 Jul
9:09am, 8 Jul 2024
32,736 posts
  •  
Johnny Blaze
Oi! I definitely take exception to that! But I will take it on board and switch to Star Wars instead.

I still challenge myself by occasionally unkittening to see if any glimmer of sense or self-awareness has crept into his posts but no joy yet. He loves to attack the man, not the ball and I can’t see that changing, sadly.
8 Jul
9:11am, 8 Jul 2024
9,896 posts
  •  
simbil
A friend who works in retail always bemoans how little anyone cares about the sector. Be competitive enough to pay your bills or shut up shop and let someone else have a go - it's the sharp end of a free market and I don't think any political party gives the sector serious consideration.
Reform will spend the next few years pointing out broken things and have little in the way of solutions I guess. Unfortunately lots to point at right now.
8 Jul
9:13am, 8 Jul 2024
20,422 posts
  •  
Dave W
Yep, I've got him kittened on this forum as well. He has a strange persona here, as he seems very reasonable on other threads. But here, he seems to just revel in trolling and personal attacks.

Might be because he feels vulnerable as a lot of positions that he tries to defend are indefensible. Attack is sometimes the best form of defence and all that.
8 Jul
9:13am, 8 Jul 2024
18,920 posts
  •  
JamieKai *chameleon*
Johnny Blaze wrote:Oi! I definitely take exception to that! But I will take it on board and switch to Star Wars instead.

Ah, careful what you wish for folks... ;)
8 Jul
9:41am, 8 Jul 2024
32,737 posts
  •  
Johnny Blaze
I shouldn't rise to the bait but I will.

"Normal" in the context of my post was not a ringing endorsement of Earl Trumpington's heterosexuality and the nuclear family. It was a reference to his crazed psyche, which is a vivarium of lies, delusions, wounded narcissism and a thirst for retribution. In other words... Not normal.

The world would be greatly improved if power mad gerontocrats got out of the way and retreated to their deck chairs so lyounger people could take ownership of their future.
8 Jul
9:51am, 8 Jul 2024
25,013 posts
  •  
larkim
Also, back to the BBC headline ref the "historic moment". A quick google will show that that was the phrase that Marine Le Pen used to describe the first round and the prospect of a NR (NF) majority. Hence the journo playing that phrase back. Maybe it's a small error not showing that phrase in quotes, but the rapidity with which the paranoid left leaps on any phrase to demonstrate BBC bias is hilarious.

Ditto LK's "I suppose" which I saw as nothing more than the Paxman-style approach of trying to pour cold water over a guest who was about to arrive with a triumphal message. Maybe a bit lazy as a trope, but as evidence of hear heartfelt desires coming out; nah.
8 Jul
9:58am, 8 Jul 2024
28,423 posts
  •  
richmac
Why's everyone being Armist all of a sudden ? FFS

About This Thread

Maintained by Chrisull
Name-calling will be called out, and Ad hominem will be frowned upon. :-) And whatabout-ery sits somewhere above responding to tone and below contradiction.

*** Last poll winner

121 - Congrats to kstuart who predicted 121

*** Next poll will be along soon....

HappyG 270
Fenners Reborn 266
Jda 250
GeneHunt 205
Larkim 191
Mushroom 185
Bazoaxe 180
JamieKai 177
Cheg 171
Yakima Canutt 165
Chrisull 155
NDWDave 147
Macca53 138
JB 135
Derby Tup 133
Little Nemo 130
Big G 128
Kstuart 121
LindsD 120
Diogenes 117
Fields 111
B Rubble 110
Mrs Shanksi 103
J2r 101
Richmac 101
rf_fuzzy 100 (+15/-15)
simbil 99
DaveW 95
Paulcook 88
Fetch 85
Bob 72
Weean 69 and 2/3
Pothunter 50

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.