Politics

5 lurkers | 212 watchers
11:30am
11:30am, 5 Oct 2024
33,209 posts
  •  
Johnny Blaze
Word salad?

Google "labour green prosperity plan pdf" and you will see 22 pages of detailed proposals.

All the info is there if you have the inclination to look for it.

labour.org.uk
11:36am
11:36am, 5 Oct 2024
33,210 posts
  •  
Johnny Blaze
theguardian.com

I'm no civil engineer but I'm betting land based wind farms have considerable advantages over offshore farms:
Cheaper
Quicker
Lower running costs
Less likely to be hit by a ship
11:37am
11:37am, 5 Oct 2024
33,211 posts
  •  
Johnny Blaze
It took them 4 days to announce that, the lazy buggers.
11:57am
11:57am, 5 Oct 2024
255 posts
  •  
Yakima Canutt
Johnny Blaze wrote:theguardian.com I'm no civil engineer but I'm betting land based wind farms have considerable advantages over offshore farms: Cheaper Quicker Lower running costs Less likely to be hit by a ship

Ah yes to most of that but.

Offshore windmills are much bigger. (1x extra length of span is about 4x extra power output).

Offshore wind blows harder and more consistently. That goes for the further offshore you go.

You can get more turbines in an array offshore.

Not sure about easier to build. There are pluses and minuses.

Consenting for offshore is likely to be easier.
12:05pm
12:05pm, 5 Oct 2024
33,212 posts
  •  
Johnny Blaze
Fair bag. Like I say I'm no civil engineer but we've had practically zero land based wind farms built in the last 8 years in England, which sounds mental to me because, you know, we are an island archipelago with quite a lot of coastline.

I'm pleased to see Friends of the Earth agree with me.
12:08pm
12:08pm, 5 Oct 2024
33,213 posts
  •  
Johnny Blaze
Ocean-based wind farms are generally more expensive to install than land-based wind farms:

Installation cost
In 2021, the average cost to install a land-based wind project was $1,500 per kilowatt, while the average cost to install an offshore wind project was $3,461 per kilowatt in 2022.

Foundation costs
Offshore wind turbines require more expensive foundations than land-based turbines. The cost of the foundation depends on the type of foundation and the depth of the sea.

Transmission costs
Offshore wind farms require additional costs for transformer stations and sea transmission cables.

Maintenance costs
Offshore wind farms require additional costs for maintaining machinery at sea.

All seems fairly clear cost-wise, but if it were me I'd still have a mix of the two, which is why an effective ban on land based sounds daft on a number of levels.
12:21pm
12:21pm, 5 Oct 2024
33,214 posts
  •  
Johnny Blaze
The UK’s new Labour Government has great ambitions for accelerating the deployment of wind energy, both onshore and offshore. To deliver on their new goals they will need a massive overhaul of planning and the grid.

The new UK Government is committed to double onshore wind and quadruple offshore wind by 2030, as a cornerstone of its goal to fully decarbonise electricity by 2030. That means increasing onshore wind from 15 to 30 GW and offshore wind, where they’re already no 1 in Europe, from 15 to 60 GW. These are hugely ambitious targets.

Planning and consenting

To fully deliver, the new Government will need a massive overhaul of the UK’s approach to planning and deployment, both of wind farms and the relevant grid infrastructure. They’ve made a great start by lifting the de facto ban on onshore wind in England on their first full working day in power. However, consenting is still a major bottleneck and the UK Energy Act has committed to reducing consenting timelines. Labour has announced a consultation on whether to include larger onshore wind projects in the Nationally Significant Infrastructure Project (NSIP) regime, which would enable consenting decisions for those projects to be made at a national level through a fast-tracked process.

Sounds like a plan to me...
1:07pm
1:07pm, 5 Oct 2024
23,158 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
Chrisull wrote:Also re unis - of course they need more money, and yes putting up income tax overnight will not sort that, but also increasing unsustainable debt burdens on the next generations won't either. As with all things it's hugely complex, there are no easy answers. But the cheap morphine hit of increased student tuition fees only comes with its own problems.

This is a clear misunderstanding of how student loans and tuition fees actually work.

It's not "increasing unsustainable debt burden" - whatever the nominal fee, the graduate contribution scheme will be 9% over £24k for x years. It's a graduate contribution scheme. Not the same as a debt.

I'd refer you to Martin Lewis - his explanations are excellent.

There is no other immediate solution. Changing the way universities are funded will take several years. And isn't going to happen any time soon.

If like it to change to a proper graduate tax so that it levels the playing field, but we must be pragmatic rather than expecting the unrealistic to happen.
1:10pm
1:10pm, 5 Oct 2024
23,159 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
Yakima Canutt wrote:Johnny Blaze wrote:theguardian.com I'm no civil engineer but I'm betting land based wind farms have considerable advantages over offshore farms: Cheaper Quicker Lower running costs Less likely to be hit by a ship Ah yes to most of that but. Offshore windmills are much bigger. (1x extra length of span is about 4x extra power output). Offshore wind blows harder and more consistently. That goes for the further offshore you go. You can get more turbines in an array offshore. Not sure about easier to build. There are pluses and minuses. Consenting for offshore is likely to be easier.

Onshore cheaper than offshore and easier to maintain.

Yes offshore bigger though and higher hub heights which mean more consistent output. But more expensive to build and unless floating proves practical, can't be built everywhere.

Also onshore has limitations in where they can be placed.

Need both and more of both.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Chrisull
Name-calling will be called out, and Ad hominem will be frowned upon. :-) And whatabout-ery sits somewhere above responding to tone and below contradiction.

*** Last poll winner

121 - Congrats to kstuart who predicted 121

*** Next poll will be along soon....

HappyG 270
Fenners Reborn 266
Jda 250
GeneHunt 205
Larkim 191
Mushroom 185
Bazoaxe 180
JamieKai 177
Cheg 171
Yakima Canutt 165
Chrisull 155
NDWDave 147
Macca53 138
JB 135
Derby Tup 133
Little Nemo 130
Big G 128
Kstuart 121
LindsD 120
Diogenes 117
Fields 111
B Rubble 110
Mrs Shanksi 103
J2r 101
Richmac 101
rf_fuzzy 100 (+15/-15)
simbil 99
DaveW 95
Paulcook 88
Fetch 85
Bob 72
Weean 69 and 2/3
Pothunter 50

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.