Politics

3 lurkers | 212 watchers
3:24pm
3:24pm, 4 Oct 2024
4,581 posts
  •  
Cheg
Nah you're alright. This forum is a constant drone of misery, arguments, snipes. Nothing productive ever comes of it. Total waste of time. I'll stick to logging my running. Leave you bores to it. See ya.
3:33pm
3:33pm, 4 Oct 2024
51,087 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Lol! That's a semi-flounce! (That's an expression for the Fetch oldies - flouncing used to be a thing from Fetch. Great fun times!) But this is only semi cos it's just this thread he's leaving. But we'll welcome you back Cheg, should you ever wish, I'm sure! :-) G
3:43pm
3:43pm, 4 Oct 2024
33,201 posts
  •  
Johnny Blaze
I thought that list of 20 things was pretty good considering they've only been in power since 4th July and, you know, we have had the summer recess since then. Rome wasn't built in a day.

And there's always an opportunity benefit of having Labour in compared to, say, a Johnson/Truss carnival of lies, corruption and incompetence - latest big idea from Johnson: let's have a referendum on the ECHR.

Other historical note: the Rwanda plan was never in the Tory manifesto before it was announced and we spent several hundred million quid pursuing Johnson's ridiculous back of a fag packet idea.
4:01pm
4:01pm, 4 Oct 2024
22,220 posts
  •  
Chrisull
Fetch called him out (rightly) for misrepresenting views, and he didn't like it. It's a shame, as I like cheg's contributions, ready to argue some counter points often in a hostile environment.

But ,me expressing disappointment in a govt that has a huge mandate for change, and that is doing things like spending 22 billion on CCS technology rather than a proper set of policies (simple things like - grants for tree planting - my group is gonna have to go cap in hand to supermarkets etc, for tools, because we want to do something that most govt's have ALREADY as a stated aim) is rather disheartening, as one minor example. And it isn't 40 years of miserabilism. I want Labour to succeed as that is our only real alternative. But they are already losing bye-elections left right and centre, and enduring a shitstorm from the press that makes Corbyn's look like the Daily Express on Princess Di.

I'm already out there doing stuff, in the community. I just want a government that actually helps communities and volunteers - so when we advise about insulation, solar panels, heat pumps - we're not just telling rich middle class house owners how much they have to shell out for them. Cornwall's Tory council first to declare a climate emergency. Brilliant, hats off (not being sarcastic either) - BUT you have to show us the roadmap to get there and actually help the people trying to get you there. Tories seem uninterested, and Labour think paternalism is the answer.

I actually agree when JB posts the list of things New Labour did. There's plenty of great stuff. There was a price, but hey that's politics. I understand compromises and quid pro quos. Iraq did for any sensible discussion of Blair's legacy. I'm ready to be patient as well, we've not even had the first budget. So yes, I wait with still some hope. But I'm also mindful of the mantra, they've already told you what they plan to do. And that's simply not enough, and to many eye's a more vaguely human rendering of Rishi Sunak's last days.
4:16pm
4:16pm, 4 Oct 2024
6,618 posts
  •  
paulcook
But I'm also mindful of the mantra, they've already told you what they plan to do. And that's simply not enough,

I think that in turn - and they realise this too - was a mistake. It was too negative an approach for a new government especially one of supposedly progressive politics. I’d like to see them learn from this mistake even if October’s budget is still something of a miser’s one.
4:17pm
4:17pm, 4 Oct 2024
22,221 posts
  •  
Chrisull
(and dare I also add increasing tuition fees to 10,500 as another bad point)? What alternative? Well we there shouldn't be tuition fees for a starter, we should all pay much higher tax a la a social democratic system a la Scandinavia. But how to get there from here?
4:22pm
4:22pm, 4 Oct 2024
6,619 posts
  •  
paulcook
And in terms of depression at the political picture, this was a loaded tweet but some thoughts on the first 100 days of Labour

x.com
4:30pm
4:30pm, 4 Oct 2024
22,222 posts
  •  
Chrisull
Lol - what's a shame is the polarisation there. Either it's good and here's Labour's 20 good points, or it's irrevocably terrible and what did you expect from genocide enablers. I suppose a nuanced somewhere in between take on things doesn't generate many likes.
4:33pm
4:33pm, 4 Oct 2024
248 posts
  •  
Yakima Canutt
The £21bn is going to be a spend that spread over 25 years. Its not an immediate kick. It is also going to directly bring £8bn of investment (30% of the investment). The project uses or reused older O&G infrastructure that would otherwise be decommissioned probably saving a few billion of costs that would otherwise be spent (and which government would also have to partially fund).

There will likely be 50k new jobs in Liverpool area and wider coming from this. My employer is part of the supply chain on the early work and the investment will feed into UK engineering businesses around the country (including a lot in Scotland as there is subsea and reservoir engineering).

Its not as clean as wind or solar and I get that and hydrogen production takes more energy input but its part of a solution in the armory of the Energy transition and it has its place.

There is no use in spending more on wind at the moment - the pipeline is full up of projects on various stages of the wait list.
4:35pm
4:35pm, 4 Oct 2024
29,539 posts
  •  
richmac
That's the nature of politics though - in general relation to Cheg's post people only tend to respond to the negative stuff.

I think we're not awful at assigning credit when we can.

In a way I'm glad it's not become a Starmer love in echo chamber as another departed poster regularly accused us of.

About This Thread

Maintained by Chrisull
Name-calling will be called out, and Ad hominem will be frowned upon. :-) And whatabout-ery sits somewhere above responding to tone and below contradiction.

*** Last poll winner

121 - Congrats to kstuart who predicted 121

*** Next poll will be along soon....

HappyG 270
Fenners Reborn 266
Jda 250
GeneHunt 205
Larkim 191
Mushroom 185
Bazoaxe 180
JamieKai 177
Cheg 171
Yakima Canutt 165
Chrisull 155
NDWDave 147
Macca53 138
JB 135
Derby Tup 133
Little Nemo 130
Big G 128
Kstuart 121
LindsD 120
Diogenes 117
Fields 111
B Rubble 110
Mrs Shanksi 103
J2r 101
Richmac 101
rf_fuzzy 100 (+15/-15)
simbil 99
DaveW 95
Paulcook 88
Fetch 85
Bob 72
Weean 69 and 2/3
Pothunter 50

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.