Politics

8 lurkers | 212 watchers
2:47pm
2:47pm, 4 Oct 2024
22,217 posts
  •  
Chrisull
Meanwhile on the environment they can't find 26 billion for Green New Deal anymore, but in defiance of climate scientists:

theguardian.com

they can find 22 billion for bullshit Carbon Capture and Storage Technologies, as endorsed by many of the fossil fuel companies:

theguardian.com

That's why many of us willing to give them some leeway, are already going, I've bloody seen enough.
2:53pm
2:53pm, 4 Oct 2024
6,617 posts
  •  
paulcook
I’m not even convinced the mental health helpline is even true. We’ve had ours for years we just changed the number and even then I’m not sure when the change happened.
2:57pm
2:57pm, 4 Oct 2024
32,858 posts
  •  
macca 53
jda wrote:Pouring billions of pounds (that we supposedly don’t have) into the boondoggle that is CCS wouldn’t have been my priority as an incoming government.

Especially since it has Houchen’s name all over it…
3:02pm
3:02pm, 4 Oct 2024
4,578 posts
  •  
Cheg
Has there just been one week ever where this forum has been positive?

We are rid of the shower of shit Tories.
They have binned Rwanda.
Starmer is sensible.
They did deal well with the riots.
They are clearing up the shit state of the prison system they were left.
They have started to open dialogue with the rest of Europe. There is no magic reset button to unfuck what has been fucked.

This endless stream of misery. You might as well accept you will never be happy with anything, any government ever does, and be done with. Find a new hobby, find something else to talk about.
jda
3:13pm
3:13pm, 4 Oct 2024
17,897 posts
  •  
jda
"They have started to open dialogue with the rest of Europe. There is no magic reset button to unfuck what has been fucked."

But have already rejected out of hand the tiniest of baby steps that is wildly popular with the electorate and that basically no sane person disagrees with (youth mobility, that we already have with half a dozen random countries far less usefully than the EU would be).

I don't see how you can possibly defend this decision as sensible. It's reactionary anti-eu xenophobia plain and simple.

But yeah, you go on cheerleading, that'll show 'em.
3:16pm
3:16pm, 4 Oct 2024
22,218 posts
  •  
Chrisull
I was happy with Blair's start. Minimum wage and signing up to the EU social chapter with its various employment directives such as maximum working hours, alone.

The policies Labour mooted over just the previous year or two, there was some really good stuff in (28 billion green new deal, workers deal, right to roam etc etc), one by one they systematically gutted or scrapped all of them.

Scrapping something as egregiously awful, cost ineffective and impossible to work like Rwanda is surely a baseline want, that Lib Dems, Greens, SNP and Plaid Cyrmu would all have done had they ever been anywhere near the corridors of power.

I want something positive, christ even the complete right to roam, watered down to just woodland and riverbanks would have been good. But no it got watered down again to a couple of new riverside footpaths and 9 new national parks (many of which already should be footpaths)?
3:16pm
3:16pm, 4 Oct 2024
22,219 posts
  •  
Chrisull
typo last word. parks not footpaths
3:19pm
3:19pm, 4 Oct 2024
4,579 posts
  •  
Cheg
I'm not saying I agreed with all aspects, but they have opened dialogue, and relations have warmed with Europe since Starmer took over.

news.sky.com
3:20pm
3:20pm, 4 Oct 2024
4,580 posts
  •  
Cheg
So you were last satisfied with the government in mid to late 1997. Being miserable for 27 years is hard work.
3:22pm
3:22pm, 4 Oct 2024
31,107 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
Can we tone down the commentary on other contributors please?

About This Thread

Maintained by Chrisull
Name-calling will be called out, and Ad hominem will be frowned upon. :-) And whatabout-ery sits somewhere above responding to tone and below contradiction.

*** Last poll winner

121 - Congrats to kstuart who predicted 121

*** Next poll will be along soon....

HappyG 270
Fenners Reborn 266
Jda 250
GeneHunt 205
Larkim 191
Mushroom 185
Bazoaxe 180
JamieKai 177
Cheg 171
Yakima Canutt 165
Chrisull 155
NDWDave 147
Macca53 138
JB 135
Derby Tup 133
Little Nemo 130
Big G 128
Kstuart 121
LindsD 120
Diogenes 117
Fields 111
B Rubble 110
Mrs Shanksi 103
J2r 101
Richmac 101
rf_fuzzy 100 (+15/-15)
simbil 99
DaveW 95
Paulcook 88
Fetch 85
Bob 72
Weean 69 and 2/3
Pothunter 50

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.