Politics

214 watchers
Aug 2023
10:53pm, 20 Aug 2023
9,838 posts
  •  
Fields
Apparently no war at all in the world since 1993 according to this dipso eurocrat. All thanks to the EU

twitter.com
Aug 2023
9:27am, 21 Aug 2023
2,848 posts
  •  
Surelynot
OK> I'll bite. He's not saying that.
Aug 2023
9:43am, 21 Aug 2023
417 posts
  •  
deslauriers
Fields- he has said nothing of the kind and you know it.
Aug 2023
9:55am, 21 Aug 2023
9,839 posts
  •  
Fields
Disingenuous to share a map of global conflict and then say it’s stopped since 1993
Aug 2023
10:11am, 21 Aug 2023
9,840 posts
  •  
Fields
It’s European exceptionalism verging on racism imo - just like Borrell and his desire to keep the jungle savages out of the garden (eg the enormous fences the Spanish have in their African colonies)
Aug 2023
10:24am, 21 Aug 2023
22,616 posts
  •  
DeeGee
Morning, gang, back after a few days away in my beloved EU. Travelled with a family group including a German passport, so breezed past the third country nationals at Munich airport. Only on the way home, though. Queued up with the Brits to get in, and was the only member of the party interviewed in German by the border official. Interesting. I'm fascinated by border official questioning so very much enjoy the increased exposure I get to it nowadays.

Can I please ask, Fields? I struggle a little bit with your views on migration. I get the impression, like me, that you're not a great fan of heavy border infrastructure, but while you seem to want the rest of the world to be able to freely migrate into the EU (or at least, not feel intimidated while doing so) you're not happy with the idea of people who would accept lower wages than would normally be acceptable for UK workers to come to the UK to settle permanently as it skews pay downwards.

I find the two viewpoints to be a little paradoxical, but it's quite possible I've misunderstood.

For my part, I think I've said before, I don't agree with the concept of nationality. I think that so long as you can sustain an acceptable (to you) lifestyle in a place you should be free to live and work wherever you choose, paying the necessary "membership fees" for any infrastructure that you need to use and also paying equitably into the communal pot to help others in your "community" as required.
Aug 2023
10:29am, 21 Aug 2023
20,775 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
BBC News - Donald Trump confirms he will skip Republican presidential debates
bbc.co.uk

Smartest move he's ever made politically.

Also a telling sign he's worried.
Aug 2023
10:41am, 21 Aug 2023
22,961 posts
  •  
richmac
I really like DeeGee's thinking on nationality.

Trump, is he just being monumentally arrogant?

They should place a pedestal out for him at any debates just so people know he can't be arsed
Aug 2023
10:48am, 21 Aug 2023
20,776 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
It's the republican "debates," so not the national ones.

And he has nothing to gain and everything to lose in his bid to get the nomination for the republicans.

He's leading the polling, why go to the "debates" given you already have the platform and potentially make someone else look good

If someone else does do well, he can say, well they weren't up against me, and if it's a bunfight (which is likely) he can say look at me, a cut above the nonentities....

He doesn't need the fight like he did against Jeb Bush the first time when he was trailing in the polls
Aug 2023
11:26am, 21 Aug 2023
22,965 posts
  •  
richmac
Also, he's got a lot of court appearances to get to

About This Thread

Maintained by Chrisull
Name-calling will be called out, and Ad hominem will be frowned upon. :-) And whatabout-ery sits somewhere above responding to tone and below contradiction.

*** NEW US election PREDICTOR *** Predict:

1) Number of electoral college votes Democrats get
2) Party to win the Senate (Democrat or Republican)
3) Party to win the House (Democrat or Republican)

Do the prediction like this: 312 D D - you win if you get the first number right and no-one else does.

Johnny Blaze 360 R D
Bob 312 D D
EarlyRiser 306 R D
LindsD 298 R D
J2R 296 R D
Chrisull 276 R D
JamieKai 270 D R
Larkim 268 R R
TROSaracen 226 R R
PaulCook 0 G G

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.