Politics

214 watchers
SPR
1:46pm
1:46pm, 28 Oct 2024
46,536 posts
  •  
SPR
I never said he should be committing drunken disorder in public btw, I said he can have a night out as a normal person. If he can drink and behave reasonably, there's no reason to object to him doing so and should have no bearing on his ability to be a good MP.
jda
1:54pm
1:54pm, 28 Oct 2024
18,012 posts
  •  
jda
I don't think anyone is impressed with his behaviour, but whether it's sufficient to justify prosecution, conviction, or resignation is another matter.
SPR
1:58pm
1:58pm, 28 Oct 2024
46,537 posts
  •  
SPR
He didn't sound drunk or look drunk in anything I've seen so far so drinking doesn't come into it for me.
2:22pm
2:22pm, 28 Oct 2024
6,818 posts
  •  
paulcook
He was very slurred in speech.

From memory that adds to sentencing guidelines not take away from it.
SPR
2:26pm
2:26pm, 28 Oct 2024
46,538 posts
  •  
SPR
His speech didn't seem slurred in the video in this article and he's not moving like someone that's drunk.

bbc.co.uk
3:33pm
3:33pm, 28 Oct 2024
25,941 posts
  •  
larkim
As the author of the "rat-arsed" comment, I do think a 55yo is entitled to let their hair down every now and then. And if he'd just had the drinks, maybe had a heated verbal interchange with the guy he punched but then gone home with a hangover nobody would have batted an eyelid. We don't stop having fun once we turn 50, and though a beery night out isn't my idea of fun anymore I wouldn't judge someone if once in a while that was what floated their boat, no matter what age they were.
4:07pm
4:07pm, 28 Oct 2024
19,431 posts
  •  
JamieKai *chameleon*
Up to the point of the altercation, he's supporting the night time economy.

Vox pop on the local news had some chap questioning why he was out at 3am - why the fuck should he not be? Puritanical attitudes can bugger off back to the dark ages.
4:16pm
4:16pm, 28 Oct 2024
29,850 posts
  •  
richmac
JamieKai *chameleon* wrote:Up to the point of the altercation, he's supporting the night time economy. Vox pop on the local news had some chap questioning why he was out at 3am - why the fuck should he not be? Puritanical attitudes can bugger off back to the dark ages.

Guessing he's still celebrating the election win
SPR
4:18pm
4:18pm, 28 Oct 2024
46,541 posts
  •  
SPR
Yeah, there's a difference between I wouldn't do it and that's wrong. Clearly there's some night out behaviour that doesn't get people arrested but is disorderly that we wouldn't expect from MPs but if it's not that, then it's his life and he can live it how he wants.
jda
5:07pm
5:07pm, 28 Oct 2024
18,014 posts
  •  
jda
If he gets prosecuted, bound over, jailed or whatever I wouldn’t be all up in arms about it being an outrage, so long as similar standards apply to your average Saturday night altercation in town centres up and down the country.

And I’m still waiting on the Manchester airport police thing, which was far more egregious and definitely deserves serious consequences.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Chrisull
Name-calling will be called out, and Ad hominem will be frowned upon. :-) And whatabout-ery sits somewhere above responding to tone and below contradiction.

*** NEW US election PREDICTOR *** Predict:

1) Number of electoral college votes Democrats get
2) Party to win the Senate (Democrat or Republican)
3) Party to win the House (Democrat or Republican)

Do the prediction like this: 312 D D - you win if you get the first number right and no-one else does.

Johnny Blaze 360 R D
Bob 312 D D
EarlyRiser 306 R D
LindsD 298 R D
J2R 296 R D
Chrisull 276 R D
JamieKai 270 D R
Larkim 268 R R
TROSaracen 226 R R
PaulCook 0 G G

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.