Politics

214 watchers
Aug 2023
4:00pm, 21 Aug 2023
30,790 posts
  •  
Johnny Blaze
I shall register my disapproval of Europeans who want to control their borders by voting for a project which controls our borders. Seems legit.
Aug 2023
4:13pm, 21 Aug 2023
19,504 posts
  •  
Cerrertonia
Algorithm is clearly working... "Housing First" a Finland model of building flats for homeless people that turns out to be cheaper than other ways of trying to lift them out of homelessness. academic.oup.com G
That's the model that almost all public bodies and charities dealing with long-term homeless people aspire to here, too. There are some key differences between the UK and Finland though - the most important one being that help with mental health problems is not readily available here and social workers and probation staff are overwhelmed by case loads. So the success rate is very much lower here.
Aug 2023
4:20pm, 21 Aug 2023
47,546 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
I'm not aware that building flats for homeless and giving them to them for free is the model here is it Cerre? We're not even building enough low cost housing for other social needs, never mind for people actually on the streets, are we?
Aug 2023
4:40pm, 21 Aug 2023
19,505 posts
  •  
Cerrertonia
Did you read the link - the Finnish model described does not involve giving long-term homeless people flats for free.
Aug 2023
9:56pm, 21 Aug 2023
8,131 posts
  •  
Pothunter
My issue with labeling murderers as having “mental health issues” is that it tarnishes the vast majority of those with “real” (and I use the term very loosely) mental health issues.

I do agree though that for someone to kill vulnerable babies in the way that Letby did they can’t be of sound mind. I fear we’ll never know her true motive but a broad brush “mental health issues” is over simplistic IMO.

For a series of crimes of this magnitude I’m perfectly happy with a full life sentence. It’s not been reported that she’s shown any remorse and to have abused her position of trust like she did puts her into a very small category of truly evil people that don’t deserve freedom. That said, for the record I’m vehemently against capital punishment.
Aug 2023
9:59pm, 21 Aug 2023
3,172 posts
  •  
paulcook
I know it’s not quite politics but given the talk of US politics above, I see Fox News has blamed Joe Biden for letting Hurricane Hilary into the country. Seriously. Well seriously that at least one presenter did anyway.

Less so politics I suppose but the mind bending ability of our awful media.
Aug 2023
10:08pm, 21 Aug 2023
4,132 posts
  •  
Pou Pou LePhoõk
^ good words.

There is evidence that indicates that people with 'mh issues' are more likely to be victims of crime, rather than perpetrators.
Aug 2023
8:41am, 22 Aug 2023
47,549 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
I guess I didn't read it properly then Cerra, sorry. Thought it said they were built for and given to the homeless people to get them off the streets. My apols.

Still feel there's something dodgy about the Letby conviction - if she had done it in the way she has been convicted, why wouldn't her legal team have told her to plead guilty and then try and have a defence of diminished responsibility or something? Anyway, I really don't know enough about it. Just can't get away from coverage of it though.

In Scotland, the big news is the annual shame that is the drugs deaths toll - highest in Europe and equivalent to the most deprived parts of the world. A terrible indictment that needs urgent action. But what?
Aug 2023
8:54am, 22 Aug 2023
21,788 posts
  •  
larkim
I agree that labelling all criminals as mental health sufferers has bad outcomes for this with mental health problems that aren't criminals, but mental health challenges are a massive spectrum.

She'll be a long way from remorse at the moment as she has pleaded not guilty so is clearly in a position where she does not want to admit publicly to her crimes. Even her close family were being reported as believing her innocence (I'm inferring that from the reports of her mum's comments and expressions when the verdict was read out). Perhaps she never will admit it.

I feel so sorry for those parents who lost children at wards she worked on that weren't part of the case. They may never know whether she had a hand in it or not.
jda
Aug 2023
9:05am, 22 Aug 2023
15,349 posts
  •  
jda
Plaintiffs may well over-rule advice of lawyers, especially if they are sufficiently stubborn/conceited/arrogant. I'm not usually a hang-em-and-flog-em type but I don't think there is any room for reasonable doubt over the conviction.

About This Thread

Maintained by Chrisull
Name-calling will be called out, and Ad hominem will be frowned upon. :-) And whatabout-ery sits somewhere above responding to tone and below contradiction.

*** NEW US election PREDICTOR *** Predict:

1) Number of electoral college votes Democrats get
2) Party to win the Senate (Democrat or Republican)
3) Party to win the House (Democrat or Republican)

Do the prediction like this: 312 D D - you win if you get the first number right and no-one else does.

Johnny Blaze 360 R D
Bob 312 D D
EarlyRiser 306 R D
LindsD 298 R D
J2R 296 R D
Chrisull 276 R D
JamieKai 270 D R
Larkim 268 R R
TROSaracen 226 R R
PaulCook 0 G G

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.