Politics

6 lurkers | 212 watchers
Feb 2020
3:52pm, 4 Feb 2020
1,617 posts
  •  
Surelynot
There's some debate in Scotland on whether Westminster or Holyrood has the right to call a referendum. The relevant legislation could be challenged in court should the UK government continue to deny a vote. That would be risky for both sides I think.
Feb 2020
3:53pm, 4 Feb 2020
1,618 posts
  •  
Surelynot
Too busy this afternoon to provide links.
Feb 2020
4:17pm, 4 Feb 2020
19,134 posts
  •  
DeeGee
You know that you can't use the legal basis of laws to challenge a government decision, though? That's soooooo antidemocratic.
Feb 2020
5:17pm, 4 Feb 2020
9,516 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
Just been looking around at the commentary from *the experts* (yes, I know, we've had enough of them) on yesterday's set of negotiating guidelines/rules from the EU and the 'speech' setting out the UK's 'position' from Mr Johnson yesterday.

Needless to say the view was rather overwhelming that the Conservative position was (a) confused, (b) unworkable, (c) denying reality and (d) full of lies, plot holes and bluster (e.g. Dominic Raab's comments about no checks between GB & NI).

Where EU set out all the positions in detail, the UK filled out it's homework in crayon and on the back of a beermat.

So just making the same mistakes all over again.

And we're supposed to have a full working deal by July? Haha.

No Deal Winning to borrow a phrase.
Feb 2020
6:10pm, 4 Feb 2020
8,379 posts
  •  
simbil
It's not No Deal any more, that's so 2019. It's an Australian deal now.

With or without Australia's desperation for a better deal with the EU is anyone's guess.
Feb 2020
6:19pm, 4 Feb 2020
321 posts
  •  
Non-runner
I can’t understand why the Tories wouldn’t support Scottish independence, I mean, they would be guaranteed permanent rule in the remainder of the UK, with no chance of SNP votes counting toward a progressive alliance?
Feb 2020
7:01pm, 4 Feb 2020
15,861 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
Fozzy, you need to be careful saying clearly a majority of Scots want independence when you have one poll as evidence. I am sure that wouldnt stand up to your usual scientific scrutiny.

Clearly its a thorny issue and right now Westminster hold the aces. I cannot see Sturgeon holding a wildcat referendum and if she did, it wouldnt hold up as people who dont want independence would be unlikely to vote.

I also doubt if the UK government would take the same action as the Spanish.

I think its more likely we wlil have a 2nd referendum IF there is an independence majority in the next Holyrood election. I am also quite confident that Scots will reject Independence again.
Feb 2020
7:17pm, 4 Feb 2020
15,862 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
lol

SNP point out some EU lights on a building in favour of Scotland/Europe only for it to turn out the EU knew nothing of it and it was funded by the SNP.
Feb 2020
7:43pm, 4 Feb 2020
2,591 posts
  •  
HappyTimes
Bazoaxe I think the current reality is it is too close to call which way a second Independence referendum would go just now (largely speaking it's been 50/50 the last couple years give or take a couple percentage points). For a workable independence that's too close. The argument needs to be won far clearer and have the support of many more previous No's if Scotland ever wants to go ahead independently successfully.
These recent years show us one thing if nothing else. When important matters are so close to call it only becomes divsive and nobody truly gains no matter the outcome of vote.
Maybe for any future votes that mean a dramatic change to status quo there should be a pre set over 60-65% required, otherwise we stay as is.
Feb 2020
8:11pm, 4 Feb 2020
8,380 posts
  •  
simbil
Amen to that.

About This Thread

Maintained by Chrisull
Name-calling will be called out, and Ad hominem will be frowned upon. :-) And whatabout-ery sits somewhere above responding to tone and below contradiction.

*** Last poll winner

121 - Congrats to kstuart who predicted 121

*** Next poll will be along soon....

HappyG 270
Fenners Reborn 266
Jda 250
GeneHunt 205
Larkim 191
Mushroom 185
Bazoaxe 180
JamieKai 177
Cheg 171
Yakima Canutt 165
Chrisull 155
NDWDave 147
Macca53 138
JB 135
Derby Tup 133
Little Nemo 130
Big G 128
Kstuart 121
LindsD 120
Diogenes 117
Fields 111
B Rubble 110
Mrs Shanksi 103
J2r 101
Richmac 101
rf_fuzzy 100 (+15/-15)
simbil 99
DaveW 95
Paulcook 88
Fetch 85
Bob 72
Weean 69 and 2/3
Pothunter 50

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.