Politics

6 lurkers | 212 watchers
Feb 2020
3:26pm, 5 Feb 2020
2,003 posts
  •  
Canute
Stander, I began to type this as a response to the plaintive lament in your recent blog. However, after I started typing you left Fetch. I am genuinely sorry, as I see Fetch as an inclusive community, though nonetheless a community embracing people with different views. In some respects our views differ. I nonetheless wish you well. In the expectation that you will possibly lurk here anonymously, I will offer some responses to the question in your blog as to why remainers do not simply ‘get over it’.

Here are two:
1) It is more than ever necessary to ensure that politicians who lie are held to account.
2) It is crucial to ensure that the current weak surge in crude nationalism does not become a mainstream characteristic of our society.

As I have remarked before, I have always looked for opportunities to engage in discussion with thoughtful leavers. For example I have had interesting discussions about the best way for Britain (and indeed several other European countries) to honour their debts to former African colonies.

However the argument you advanced several months ago on this thread when invited to say why you supported Brexit does not appear to me to be thoughtful. It is perhaps understandable why some people in English east coast towns have felt disadvantaged in recent years. However if Europeans were making the competition for jobs tougher, leaving the EU appears to be an over-reaction. In light of the well recognised benefits of immigration on the UK economy as a whole, if the burden of immigration fell most heavily on east coast towns, the obvious answer was additional government funding to support local schools and health services. The Brown government in fact provided this, but the Cameron/Osborne government withdrew it. It would not have taken much imagination to have introduced strategies to stimulate the availability of local jobs. Sadly, the time for those measures has now passed. Now the crucial thing is ensuring that crude nationalist sentiments do not poison those towns and indeed all of us.
jda
Feb 2020
3:51pm, 5 Feb 2020
6,305 posts
  •  
jda
The idea that I should "just get over" having my rights and opportunities stripped away from me on the say-so of a bunch of ignorant jingoistic xenophobic pensioners is possibly more insulting that the fact of the rights being stripped away.

No, I'll wait for a few more of them to die off, continue to point out the failings of the Brexit project at suitable opportunities, and encourage closer cooperation with the EU whenever possible, which may end up with rejoining at some point in the future but I'm not holding my breath on that score.
Feb 2020
3:57pm, 5 Feb 2020
8,383 posts
  •  
simbil
It’s a strangely entitled view that some leavers hold, not only do they get to win with an uncompromising Brexit, everyone has to like it too!

Meanwhile back in the real world where the majority of people aren’t getting what they want, they will go on pointing out everything that is wrong and bonkers about the current situation.
Feb 2020
3:57pm, 5 Feb 2020
1,695 posts
  •  
Zorba
The Zombie Alliance alive and well on Fetch , probably still campaigning for a People's Vote and invoking the Benn Act......
Feb 2020
4:00pm, 5 Feb 2020
1,697 posts
  •  
Zorba
Sorry , Surrender Act
Feb 2020
4:29pm, 5 Feb 2020
2,592 posts
  •  
HappyTimes
I wonder how many will view what's been said and how they have treated others in years to come.
Difference of opinions only allowed when acceptable to our own viewpoint/boundaries :-(
Not sure how ANY of what's been said here, other forums and around the country is progressing anything or improving relations with friends, family, work colleagues or making for the best possible future for the UK and rest of the world in the circumstances we ALL find ourselves in.
Good luck all, I too am out as this is too negative a drain for my well being.
Feb 2020
4:56pm, 5 Feb 2020
15,726 posts
  •  
Chrisull
re: Stander? Oh FFS. I'm sorry if people are still having a go, I've not personally seen it recently. I agree it was a bit in the past.

Having said that - I'm not sure why the leavers are all so snowflakey these days on this thread, it did not used to be the case. Tony and SFL (neither necessarily leavers) gave as good as they got, and didn't need to flounce every 2 seconds. Christ imagine being either a member of an ethnic minority or an EU citizen without status to remain right now, that would take *real* guts in the current climate.

We're always disagreeing, JDA, WS and myself although in broad politically terms agree, are always sparring, doesn't mean I think a) they should change their minds or b) should go elsewhere. Of course not.

Anyway as to remaining whatever - personally I now think bollocks to remaining/second refs etc etc, we've in stage 1 of the exit, it cannot be reversed. As I've said before, mandate is now discharged, we can campaign to rejoin eventually. Before that could happen it would have to be put to another referendum sigh. That will take at minimum 5-10 years. But for me getting rid of the Tories is by far the higher priority now. Simple. If not at all simple.
Feb 2020
5:17pm, 5 Feb 2020
4,245 posts
  •  
Raemond
'why do people insist on having the same view on something despite me repeatedly telling them they've lost, and are remoaners, and should get over it, and providing no coherent reasons to support my opposing view? waaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh! you're all so mean and negative, I'm leaving!!!!!One!!!!LLL'

Can someone roll my eyes back for me, I think one went under that bench.
jda
Feb 2020
5:29pm, 5 Feb 2020
6,306 posts
  •  
jda
There's no reconciliation without truth. That is very much in the hands of the brexiters.

As for snowflake leavers getting all upset and flouncing, that's mostly just their own disappointment at how it's not turning out quite like they told themselves it would. If it was actually going well, they'd certainly be crowing about it.
J2R
Feb 2020
8:04pm, 5 Feb 2020
2,575 posts
  •  
J2R
Likewise, I have no intention of "getting over it". However Brexit played out, it was always going to be destructive to the country to a greater or lesser degree. We cannot stop Brexit happening now, but the amount of damage it is going to cause can still be reduced a little if the right actions are taken in time.

That is why Remainers like myself are not rolling over. Also, I see Brexit as just the first stage of an attempt to remould this country into the fantasy playground of the Alt-Right, and although we have lost the first battle, there will be others.

About This Thread

Maintained by Chrisull
Name-calling will be called out, and Ad hominem will be frowned upon. :-) And whatabout-ery sits somewhere above responding to tone and below contradiction.

*** Last poll winner

121 - Congrats to kstuart who predicted 121

*** Next poll will be along soon....

HappyG 270
Fenners Reborn 266
Jda 250
GeneHunt 205
Larkim 191
Mushroom 185
Bazoaxe 180
JamieKai 177
Cheg 171
Yakima Canutt 165
Chrisull 155
NDWDave 147
Macca53 138
JB 135
Derby Tup 133
Little Nemo 130
Big G 128
Kstuart 121
LindsD 120
Diogenes 117
Fields 111
B Rubble 110
Mrs Shanksi 103
J2r 101
Richmac 101
rf_fuzzy 100 (+15/-15)
simbil 99
DaveW 95
Paulcook 88
Fetch 85
Bob 72
Weean 69 and 2/3
Pothunter 50

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.